Finances

Hi Im interested to know how much of your transfer budget you spend each year and do you spend a certain amount each year. Just finished first season with Bayern Munich and had 120 mil budget if I move wage slider right over. So I spent about 120mil and now ive realised my bank balance is only 80 mil with ten more months to go until sponsorship comes through which means im going in the red in about 8 months. Im thinking of just spending a certain amount each year say like 50 mil so don't lose much per season. How do you guys spend.

I'm still playing a FM14 save, 25 years in, and at high-level clubs that have an established squad, it's really difficult to spend the transfer budget. I was at Bayern for 5 years, they were throwing close to $200 million at me in transfer budget, and I'd only use $30-$40 million, transfer a little over to salary budget to keep a re-sign buffer, and sit on the rest. The board LOVED me for my fiscal restraint, and since we were winning everything, I didn't see a reason to spend the excess.

And low-level management...I'm lucky if they give me a transfer budget, sometimes I have to move the slider to the right and take away from my wage budget to make an important signing. That money all gets spent, I don't want them to think they can cut my budget.

I usually spend about 30 million a year if I'm at the elite level, except every fourth year, when I refresh the squad (sell 1-3 players who are around 28 years old, buy in 1-2 expensive 23-24 year olds). Any team only has a shelf life of three years due to the length of playing careers etc.

The majority of the time I only spend money on youth to bring through later, which is also why I typically sell more players than I buy in that fourth season. Exact numbers depend on what the squad looks like.

Since I love playing in South America and LLM, transfer spending has become pretty much a four-letter word in my games. I could essentially spend whatever money I got in for my promising youngsters, and I tended to put it all in wages for frees as a better investment.

I did have a spell with a Liga club who were regular CL participants, but I was following a youth-team, local player first policy so out of 50m budget a year, I spent at most 5 or 6 on promising teenagers from the same area. I'll admit, I have no idea how to spend money now in FM!!!

Archived