What do you do ? duties/roles for a 442

When playing 442 with the team set out like

GK

WB (S) - CD - CD - WB (A)

WM (A) - BBM (S) - CM (D) - WM (S)

TM/DLF (S) - P (A)

Is it a good idea to have BBM behind a support striker or the advanced striker?

I've currently got WM (A) with PI's run wide with the ball and dribble more. The left WM (S) is cut inside and dribble more.

In my setup I have a Roaming Playmaker behind a DLF(S) and I like the way they link up. I think a BBM acts similar to a RPM, because they roam a lot, so them going forward doesn't necessarily mean going where the DLF drops. My DLF often goes a little wide and passes it back to the RPM who is in a more central position. Anyway, with a Target Man it maybe be different with him being more static.

The flat 4-4-2 I've been using has Wide midfielders instead of wingers for more varied movement. I started with lots of instructions but one by one I turned them off as they weren't helping.

I've got a DLP-D instead of the CM-D as it seems to offer a bit more lateral movement to cover the breadth of the midfield. Was hoping it would encourage the defenders to lay the ball of to him too but results are inconclusive.

Your BBM role should allow for some movement outside to cover for the winger coming in. If he's not getting forward enough or taking up spaces you don't like then yeah, you might want to switch sides.

The flat 4-4-2 I've been using has Wide midfielders instead of wingers for more varied movement. I started with lots of instructions but one by one I turned them off as they weren't helping.

I've got a DLP-D instead of the CM-D as it seems to offer a bit more lateral movement to cover the breadth of the midfield. Was hoping it would encourage the defenders to lay the ball of to him too but results are inconclusive.

Your BBM role should allow for some movement outside to cover for the winger coming in. If he's not getting forward enough or taking up spaces you don't like then yeah, you might want to switch sides.

I've just edited my post because I changed the Wingers to Wide Midfielders with some PI's. I have the right WM (A) on the side of the support striker and his instructions are run wide with the ball / dribble more / cross from byline. On the left I have him cutting inside with dribbling more with the wing back on attack duty.

I just wondered what everyone else does/thinks with regards to the runner from a midfield 2 behind the support striker. If I changed it the midfield duties would be something like WM (S) - CM (D) - BBM (S) WM (A). But this would mean that the WM (S) would cut inside and be on the support strikers side which I wasn't sure about.

Cheers for the replies lads

I've been experimenting with a very fluid 442 recently using similar roles to the OP which lines up - SK(S); WB(A), BPD(D), BPD©, WB(S); WM(S), CM(A), CM(D), WM(A); CF(S), AF(A)

Overall it's something I've been working on that harks back to simpler times, modelling on a Shankly '74 to Dalglish (1st time), via the great Bob Paisley, which has got me head hunted to rescue Barca and now looking odds on for breaking 100pts (although Real Madrid won't go away!).

Have you had a read of this;

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/403153-Building-A-Tactic-From-The-Beginning-And-Maintaining-It-Long-Term

It's all about the 442 and explains the partnerships/strengths and weakness of the system in general and shows you a working version. It might provide you with a lot of food for thought if nothing else about your own current system :)

Archived