4-1DM-2-2-1 (Tiki Taka) Advice

Good Afternoon. I am not really a FM beginner as I've had 08 on the Xbox 360 and later PC. 12,13,14 and now 15. When it comes to tactics i'm pretty raw in the newer versions. I have created tactics in the past with average success. More mid table than anything else, but usually end up with a plug and play tactic. For this version I wanted to create a tactic myself, so I decided on abandoning the very popular 4-2-3-1 and going back to the 4-1DM-2-2-1 formation. With the excellent pairs & combinations guide I have been able to create this tactic.

My philosophy

I believe that Football is a spectacle of entertainment, so I like to play attractive football. So a short passing, possesion and a pressing based game is a must. For this I have chosen a 4-1DM-2-2-1 formation. I operate with a swepper keeper, who will be able to clear up behind the back four who'll operate higher up the field and play the offside trap. In the back four I have chosen a BPD alongside a normal CB with defend duty. I have two WB on support duty. In the midfield I have a DM but i'm thinking of changing the position into a HB so he'll be able to drop back into defense if needed. In front of the DM I will have two DLPs and hope to recreate the Xavi & Iniesta "cauldron of doom". On the wings I have chosen two IFs, with the left footed player on the right & right on the left, with the idea that they'll drift inside and run at the OP defense in the hope that they'll draw one of the central defending pair out of position with the idea that the IF will make a killer through ball or pass in for the striker. Up front I'm not too sure what role the striker will have. I am thinking a DLP or AF role.

The Formation

http://postimg.org/image/yt5fv8oyl/

Team Comparison

http://postimg.org/image/dez0f8cxv/

From the team comparison you can see we're a very technical team, obviously being Arsenal. We are first for decisions, team work & third for passing and second for first touch. The team Workrate will need to be improved, but i'll spend to bring in more players so that will improve by the end of pre season.

Team instructions

http://postimg.org/image/9htkeeivt/

The individual player instructions are WBs stay wider. IFs stay futher forward and shoot less and my BPD to pass it shorter along with my SK to also pass it shorter.

For the big away games. I am not certain if I will chose a 4-2DM-3-1 formation or just have a counter 4-3-3 and play a flat trio in midfield.

So how could I possibly improve this tactic? would the balance be right or would my players be running around like headless chickens without direction? my only main concern is being overrun in midfield?

I'd say it's a bit symmetrical. The midfield in particular doesn't have anyone getting forward, so you'll probably find that no one is providing forward runs in and around the area, which will probably lead to a lot of long shots. You cited Barcelona's Xavi and Iniesta partnership - I'd say Iniesta was definitely more of an AP in that system, and giving Ozil an attack duty would ensure that you have more forward options and a less isolated striker.

Most people will say a lone forward always has to be on support duty, but I actually like having lone forwards play as AFs. That's because I think they do a good job when you're breaking on the counter though, so it probably isn't what you're looking for. A DLF(s) will contribute a lot to your buildup and create space for your IFs to move into. A CF(s) would be my call if you wanted them to be a little more focused on other tasks, like getting on the end of attacks. I've never actually used a DLF(a) role myself, just because it seems like a weird concept to me. On another note, I'd probably split the duties of the WBs and IFs, so you've got different threats on either flank - like if on the one flank you have an IF on support drifting into the midfield while an attacking wingback overlaps and on the other you've got you're main goal threat as the IF(a) with a more settled WB(s) covering for him.

If you're looking to play possession football first, then you'll want to have a lot of the pitch at your disposal. By giving yourself such a massively high defensive line (Control mentality plus Much higher D-line is, I think, equivalent to playing on an Overload mentality), you don't have a lot of space to move the ball around, vertically speaking. You'll also find yourself under a lot of pressure whenever you're on the ball as with less room to play in, the opposition will naturally be closer to your players when you have the ball, and so will have an easier job taking it off them. With a line that high, passes behind your defense will be brutal as well. I'd personally go Standard or Counter, and do away with further adjustment to the line.

You're going to struggle against teams that sit narrow. You have almost no width. Granted you have the wb-s's but they're not really going to stretch the pitch with the ball. I think you would benefit from one of them attacking and getting closer to the byline.

You have basically nobody linking play between your midfield and your forwards. The triangle is in desperate need of an attack duty, so I'd change one of your DLP-S 's into a CM-A or AP-A. OR if you're desperate to avoid an attack duty, use B2B. Regardless, you need someone to attack from the middle.

You also run the risk of being isolated up top with the front 3 all on attack. You're going to want someone to drop deeper.

I'd also be a bit dubious about "shoot less" for your Inside Forwards - who do you expect to score your goals? Most of Arsenal's best finishers are likely to be playing out wide (namely Podolski, Sanchez and Walcott), so I'd be focusing on creating chances for them more than your centre forward.

I'd also be a bit dubious about "shoot less" for your Inside Forwards - who do you expect to score your goals? Most of Arsenal's best finishers are likely to be playing out wide (namely Podolski, Sanchez and Walcott), so I'd be focusing on creating chances for them more than your centre forward.

Spot on. In the current Arsenal team, Giroud is a pivot to bounce passes off and link play. The real threats are Alexis & Walcott.

I'm not sure. I use Shoot Less Often across numerous players in a bid to aid ball retention. I'd doesn't stop shooting altogether (no instruction in FM is that absolute) but does encourage players to assess their options before taking a shot. Given the aims of the system, I'd actually encourage the use of this PI with more players.

Not saying shoot less can't work - as you say, they still should be taking some shots - my concern was just that the only players he specifically mentioned giving that PI to are the players in his squad I'd most want to be taking shots. I'd be keeping watch on those players and making certain they aren't passing up good opportunities trying to craft some perfect goal.

Hang on, this is Arsenal. Carry on, ignore me :p

Inside forwards on attack duty are their most dangerous when they can cut into space in the middle. With your settings of closing down lots and an extremely high-D, you've essentially neutered the potency of your IFs - your IFs would just run into a congested midfield where they will either get tackled off the ball or as IFs already like to do, try an extremely high amount of hopeless long shots.

What you'll want to do is to drop the defensive line as well as relax on the closing down.... this will create vital space between the midfield and defense into which your IFs can run into and run at the defense. This will cause havoc as the defense gets drawn towards your inside forwards, creating space for others in your team or perhaps even a chance for the IF himself.

If you want Barcelona tiki taka, see what you can learn from my tactic here...

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/403567-4-3-3-SchemeServe-(FM15)?goto=newpost

Wow this tactics goes against everything what I know. You have no real goal scoring threat in the final third, because everyone forward is on a support duty and only the playmaker is attack duty but he will not score your goals. I see no movement at all and the wings seems extremely vulnerable. In your thread I can see people are playing good with it but I can't see how. Care to explain how this is working?

• 4 weeks later...
Wow this tactics goes against everything what I know. You have no real goal scoring threat in the final third, because everyone forward is on a support duty and only the playmaker is attack duty but he will not score your goals. I see no movement at all and the wings seems extremely vulnerable. In your thread I can see people are playing good with it but I can't see how. Care to explain how this is working?

The Attack and Support duties are falsified by my player instructions, they only really dictate (in 2015 at least) where the player sits in that role in terms of the position on the pitch. Ironically, I just simmed a season with Arsenal and the CM(A) contributed very little in the final third whilst Arteta at CM(D) notched up 14 goals!

The IF's and striker score bucket loads between them as they're all operating in the gaps between midfield and defence so nobody knows who to pick up and they're already at full acceleration by the time anybody reacts.

I'm with you, it goes against everything the old tactical frameworks taught us, but it works a charm.

Archived