Neighbouring clubs

I've no idea if this has been covered elsewhere - done a search and found nothing. And this is little more than a cosmetic issue really, but I am curious nonetheless.

I seem to recall reading a few FMs ago that there was a setting in the stadium data (I think) which told the game which stadia were near each other. Presumably the reason for this was to prevent the game generating home fixtures for two neighbouring clubs on the same day. I've never checked this before, however I've noticed in FM15 that this isn't the case. The two Sheffield clubs frequently play home games simultaneously, Celtic and Rangers do it, I'm sure there are others I haven't spotted. It only seems to happen when they're in different divisions. Am I mistaken? Did I imagine reading about such a measure?

It's for a lot more reasons than that too. For example using each others stadium whilst expansions are being done. I remember on FM13 as Huddersfield due to my success I stole a lot of fans from Leeds (long term over many years) and their attendances started to suffer big time.

Not an FM issue but, WBA played Villa on Saturday while Birmingham City played at home. Google Map the stadiums to see how close those three are.

So did Walsall.

Sure, but that will happen when there are a number of reasonably big clubs in the same area, otherwise there would be games being played all week. Same with London clubs to an extent. However there are only two major clubs in Sheffield and they just don't play at home on the same day. The police and the transport infrastructure won't allow it, hence the fixture lists usually (always?) force each to play away while the other is at home. Same with the two main Glasgow clubs. Too many people flowing into and back out of the city, and not enough police. Simply doesn't happen. Can you imagine the farcical situation if, for example, Liverpool played United at Anfield while Everton played Chelsea across the road? Almost 100,000 people basically standing on the same spot.

Anyway, the point is I think I'm going mental. I thought I'd read years ago about something in the stadium data preventing this but clearly not.

Sure, but that will happen when there are a number of reasonably big clubs in the same area, otherwise there would be games being played all week. Same with London clubs to an extent. However there are only two major clubs in Sheffield and they just don't play at home on the same day. The police and the transport infrastructure won't allow it, hence the fixture lists usually (always?) force each to play away while the other is at home. Same with the two main Glasgow clubs. Too many people flowing into and back out of the city, and not enough police. Simply doesn't happen. Can you imagine the farcical situation if, for example, Liverpool played United at Anfield while Everton played Chelsea across the road? Almost 100,000 people basically standing on the same spot.

Anyway, the point is I think I'm going mental. I thought I'd read years ago about something in the stadium data preventing this but clearly not.

WBA and Blues almost always play at home the same day but here it was with the addition of Villa so effectively three big clubs in their home area on the same day. With Villa V Blues rivalry as big as anything in Sheffield. You can almost see St Andrews from The Hawthorns car park

Back to the original topic. I have become increasingly aware that SI/FM have some failings when it comes to Geographical input you only have to look at the issues with Welsh Clubs playing in England, Colwyn Bay for eg cannot afford to scout in Rhyl but can afford to drive through it to scout Dover Athletic??

WBA and Blues almost always play at home the same day but here it was with the addition of Villa so effectively three big clubs in their home area on the same day. With Villa V Blues rivalry as big as anything in Sheffield. You can almost see St Andrews from The Hawthorns car park

Back to the original topic. I have become increasingly aware that SI/FM have some failings when it comes to Geographical input you only have to look at the issues with Welsh Clubs playing in England, Colwyn Bay for eg cannot afford to scout in Rhyl but can afford to drive through it to scout Dover Athletic??

While it may seem unrealistic the example you give I think it would take too much processing power if there constantly should be made calculations as to whether it is too far away to scout or not.

Then one might say it could be hard-coded in the database, but that would most likely slow down the game a whole lot.

So for speed and simplicity it seems like a good solution :)

Archived