How do you beat 10 men?

Seriously I have failed to win 9 games in a row in which the opposition gets a player sent off in the first half. I fare well against 11 men, then they get a man sent off and I struggle badly. I don't even change anything with my tactics I keep it controlled. I can't beat 10 men no matter what I do I'm beginning to think the match engine is broken.

Anyone got any tactical advice I could try to beat 10 men?

I always alter my instructions depending how the opposition are playing when they go down to 10 men?

Are they sitting back playing 4-5-0? If so, I tend to try to sit deeper and play more direct.

If they have strikers but are not a threat, I would tend to slow the game down and control the game in their half.

Seriously I have failed to win 9 games in a row in which the opposition gets a player sent off in the first half. I fare well against 11 men, then they get a man sent off and I struggle badly. I don't even change anything with my tactics I keep it controlled. I can't beat 10 men no matter what I do I'm beginning to think the match engine is broken.

First thing you must do when the oppo have a man sent off is set your team and attacking wide players to play wider. The idea is to stretch them out and then use the extra space to get through.

I don't even change anything with my tactics I keep it controlled. I can't beat 10 men no matter what I do I'm beginning to think the match engine is broken.

Doing nothing is certainly not a good thing. Obviously sometimes no change is needed but since you said you struggle a lot, this certainly plays a huge part as of why. Control is quite an adventurous mentality.

Other than that, depends on the shape I guess. If the opposition goes 4-4-1 it might be wise to attack the middle if you have the numbers advantage there. Or if they go 4-3-2 attack the flanks.

And what is the result? If you are leading, then you don't need to be too much attacking, because the opposition are trying to defend in numbers.

To be honest, you REALLY have to look at what your opponent is doing once they go down to 10 men. What I typically do is change the game highlight mode to Full Match (and sometimes even change the camera to 2D, so I can get a perfect picture of whats happening). From there it's pretty simple, are they playing really narrow and possibly only 1 defender on each flank? Then use 'Play Narrower' and 'Exploit the Flanks'. Basically wherever the flaw is in their formation i look to exploit it.

Hope this helps.

To be honest, you REALLY have to look at what your opponent is doing once they go down to 10 men. What I typically do is change the game highlight mode to Full Match (and sometimes even change the camera to 2D, so I can get a perfect picture of whats happening). From there it's pretty simple, are they playing really narrow and possibly only 1 defender on each flank? Then use 'Play Narrower' and 'Exploit the Flanks'. Basically wherever the flaw is in their formation i look to exploit it.

And if you don't have the time or commitment to go full match, just adding the opposition formation widget can provide useful clues.

And if you don't have the time or commitment to go full match, just adding the opposition formation widget can provide useful clues.

Yes I always have this up as it is vital to know what formation they opposition is playing, sometimes when they go down to 10 they play 4-3-2 with only one central midfielder....you absolutely must stretch the play to take advantage of this!

Depending on the situation you can usually also afford to be more adventurous - get your full-backs forward if they weren't previously is just one example of what I do in these situations.

They've got one less player so somebody somewhere on your team should always be free - how can you take advantage?

Archived