Developing my 4-1-4-1 Further

For slightly tougher games I am proposing the following setup, the intention is to keep shape as much as possible while maintaining a structured attacking threat

4-1-4-1 Control/Flexible

GK - GK(d)

DL - WB(s)

CD - CD(d)

CD - CD(d)

DR - WB(s)

DM - DM(d)

MR - WM(a)

MC - CM(a)

MC - CM(s)

ML - WM(s)

FC - DLF(s)

LM - As the wing backs wont get forward as much i don't want this player coming inside too much but he still needs to cover for the advancing CM(a). SO reverted to a WM(s) with PI of Sit Narrower

MCL - I need this player to be a goal threat and get forward. The CM(a) really gives me what I need in terms of goals

MCR - reverted back to CM(s). BWM is really not suitable for a team that wants to retain shape

MR - no changes here. he has PI's to cut inside with ball, cross less often and shoot less often. He plays like an inside forward and is getting goals, doing exactly what i want.

DM - reverted back to DM(d). The wing backs are not bombing forward as much so I need this player to offer some protection to back line.

Removed the PI's from the CB's Close Down Much Less and Tackle Harder and added Close Down Less. I still want them to be as rigid as possible and make strong tackles.

Current TI's are:-

* Work ball into Box - I don't want to give away possession or waste opportunities so these two instructions seem to give me what I need

* Play out of defence

* Be more disciplined - I don't want players being pulled out of position and needlessly closing down

* Close Down Less

Thanks for the comments, I used to use a DMC(d) or a HB in previous seasons but my thinking with the Regista was for the CD's to play short passes to him in order to keep possession

I will try the suggested changes and see how I go

thanks again

You can always tell your DCs to play less risky balls and play short, you can also elect to have a formation thats using a control mentality with only the frontline closing down a lot, though the use of PIs. This way while you are attacking in the opponents half and lose the ball..you won't find your defenders making rash closing down instructions.

This game is so infuriating; I thought my changes were well thought out and logical but all they have seen me do is go backwards giving away silly goals and not scoring that many either.

I have now reverted back to my base formations

For games against better opponents or were I expect a tough game

Control - Fluid

Team Instructions

Work ball into box

Play out of defence

Close down more

GK - GK(d)

LB - WB(s)

CB - CD(d) - Close Down Much Less\Tackle Harder

CB - CD(d) - close down much less\Tackle harder

RB - WB(a)

DM - DM(d) - Close down less

LM - WM(a) - Cross less often, Shoot less often, cut inside with ball

LCM - CM(s)

RCM - CM(a)

RM - WM(s) - sit narrower

CF - DF(s)

For games where i am favourite or expect the opposition to sit back

Counter - Fluid

Team Instructions

Work ball into box

Play out of defence

Close down more

Push Higher Up

GK - GK(d)

LB - WB(s)

CB - CD(d) - Close Down Less\Tackle Harder

CB - CD(d) - close down less\Tackle harder

RB - WB(a)

DM - DM(d)

LM - WM(a) - Cross less often, Shoot less often, cut inside with ball

LCM - CM(s)

RCM - CM(a)

RM - WM(s) - sit narrower

CF - DF(s)

Things have settled down a little now and i am confidence in the tactic again

Having reverted to much simpler tactical setups i can say that i am performing as, if not better than, expected. Currently joint 1st in the premier league with 1 defeat after 8 games. I beat last seasons champions Man Utd 2-1 at home which, if you follow this thread, is quite an achievement for me. I suffered a disappointing away loss to Norwich, they went 1-0 up early doors as I was being to cautious, went more aggressive and it was 2-2 going into the final minute where Norwich managed to nick it.

I am second in my Champions League group, 4 points from 3 games losing to Barcelona away.

Away matches against bigger teams still remains a challenge but overall I am pleased

for Clarity I have two formations

Counter - used where I am favourites to win

qx5u8x.jpg

As we are pushing up, Keeper role is a Sweeper Keeper

TI's

2i6ywoz.jpg

PI's

DC - Close Down Much Less, don't want them being dragged out of position & Tackle Harder

DM - Close Down Less, again don't want him being caught out of position especially as the wing backs are attacking & Tackle Harder

ML - Sit Narrower - needs to make room for the advancing wing back and cover for the attacking CM

MR - Shoot Less Often, Cut Inside with Ball & Cross Less Often

Control - used where I am the underdogs or for games where a draw is most likely

24e2nhu.jpg

* Wing Backs set to a support duty

TI's

14tsb5l.jpg

As control is naturally higher anyway and presses more I have removed Push higher up and amended some of the PI's

PI's

DC - Close Down Less, don't want them being dragged out of position & Pass it Shorter

ML - Sit Narrower - needs to make room for the advancing wing back and cover for the attacking CM

MR - Shoot Less Often, Cut Inside with Ball & Cross Less Often

Very early in the season so will provide further updates when I have progressed further. Still have some issues against the BIG teams away from home ie Barcelona to address this some small tweaks might be possible to make us very rigid when defending with players holding positions but this is a work in progress

I have defaulted to using my "control" tactic in all games as my counter tactic with WB(a) was leaving me quite exposed. I change the philosophy to counter or standard when required, so Counter if I am massive favourites, standard if its close or Control if I am the underdogs. The result has been a 33 game unbeaten run but over a 40 game period covering all competitions I have W29 D8 L3. Sure there has been some luck in there and I have some how managed to pick up points against the top teams away from home who usually demolish me. I retained the Capital Cup and we are still unbeaten at home in the premier league but have recently lost the FA Cup Semi Final and been knocked out the Euro Cup at the 2nd round as my first choice goalkeeper was injured and my backup isn't quite as good.

I am still struggling in some areas, ie the champions league and against the big teams but with some further learning I am sure I can overcome this.

This game has been massively frustrating for me but by reading this forum and with some trial and error I have found a formula that works for me. Tactics, TI's and PI's do not need to be complicated, in fact the simpler the better and small changes rather than wholesale ones really are key.

That said its important to put focus onto training and PPM's also. I used to suffer horrendous dips in form right after Xmas but i couldn't see why. I tweaked my training and Voila, no form blip after training, of course squad rotation helped with this too!

I had an ageing striker who ALWAYS scored when he played, I purchased a young striker, great stats, great personality etc but whenever he played he NEVER scored. After reading the forums and looking at the players PPM's I saw that my oldie striker and new striker had different PPM's. Once i trained my new striker to have one or two of the PPM's i thought necessary (Tries to beat offside trap, runs into channels) my young striker started scoring!!!

Thanks everyone who has contributed to any of my threads

• 4 weeks later...

Prior to the update to 15.3.0 I was on a 44 game unbeaten run, had conceded 8 goals in 25 league games and topped my champions league group conceding just twice. The update has been applied and my next two games end in defeats, losing 3-0 Away to bottom place Shrewsbury where Two goals were penalties and I followed this up with another 3-0 defeat away to Real Madrid

Use a Fluid Philosophy and start with a standard mentality.

Formation

2ppc7yr.jpg

Team Instructions

2lnb7ut.jpg

If I am strong favorites for the game I change to a counter mentality and if I am massive underdogs I change to a control mentality. If the opposition attack me with an AML AMC AMR i usually play Control and switch off Push Higher Up.

I have the following PI's

DC - Close Down Less & Pass it shorter

DMC - Close Down Less & Tackle Harder (Going to remove tackle harder as this position has given away the penalties and been sent off in one of the games)

WML - Sit Narrower

WMR - Cross Less Often, Shoot Less Often, Cut Inside

Prior to the update to 15.3.0 I was on a 44 game unbeaten run, had conceded 8 goals in 25 league games and topped my champions league group conceding just twice. The update has been applied and my next two games end in defeats, losing 3-0 Away to bottom place Shrewsbury where Two goals were penalties and I followed this up with another 3-0 defeat away to Real Madrid

Use a Fluid Philosophy and start with a standard mentality.

Formation

2ppc7yr.jpg

Team Instructions

2lnb7ut.jpg

If I am strong favorites for the game I change to a counter mentality and if I am massive underdogs I change to a control mentality. If the opposition attack me with an AML AMC AMR i usually play Control and switch off Push Higher Up.

I have the following PI's

DC - Close Down Less & Pass it shorter

DMC - Close Down Less & Tackle Harder (Going to remove tackle harder as this position has given away the penalties and been sent off in one of the games)

WML - Sit Narrower

WMR - Cross Less Often, Shoot Less Often, Cut Inside

My experience with the patch is similar to yours. My 4-1-4-1, Attacking/Flexible with cautious TI's designed to create space for quick counters is getting crushed. Prior to the patch I rarely lost with it.

While I have been disappointed to lose my unbeaten run, the two big defeats did make me analyse my tactic.

I made the following changes;

Remove Tackle Harder PI from DM

change CM(s) to DLP(s)

Maybe not scoring as many as I would like but still winning games

• 2 weeks later...

I have built a strong squad and, using my tactic, have managed to win various trophies. However, now that I am unbeated for 50 premier league games I notice now that teams are getting harder and harder to break down.

My usual changes seemed to have very little effect and I was feeling lucky to be nicking draws often coming back from 1-0 to draw 1-1

I took a bit of a punt and added Roam from positions and Be More Expressive to my Team Instructions and have seen positive results and I appear to be dominating games again.

However, I am not really too sure what these do in terms of impact on the team and it what context they should be used, can someone help?

Archived