Attacking midfielders no longer defend..

I play a narrow 4-2-3-1, with a 3-man attacking midfield consisting of AP (A)- AM (S) - AP (A)

In last years game, this would lead to some lovely interchanging and nice football, and importantly, the advanced playmakers would drop back into midfield when defending. Now, however, you may as well have them as strikers as with an attack duty they make literally zero effort to get back when the opp have the ball, and merely stand alongside my advanced forward. Same goes for attacking mids with an attack duty.

Anyone else having problems?

I play a narrow 4-2-3-1, with a 3-man attacking midfield consisting of AP (A)- AM (S) - AP (A)

In last years game, this would lead to some lovely interchanging and nice football, and importantly, the advanced playmakers would drop back into midfield when defending. Now, however, you may as well have them as strikers as with an attack duty they make literally zero effort to get back when the opp have the ball, and merely stand alongside my advanced forward. Same goes for attacking mids with an attack duty.

Anyone else having problems?

Have you considered using Wide-Playmakers (Attack) from the MR/L positions?

Svenc was the first to cotton on, in this thread:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/409658-Tactical-changes-in-between-FM-2013-2014-and-2015

SI have tweaked the behaviour of Attack Duty AML/R players, but still have further work to do with central AMCs. Unfortunately, in the short term noting will change unless you change shape, apply some specific man marking instructions, or use modified Support Duties.

IMO, and ive said this a lot but i shall again, this is not unrealistic. Very few teams actually have multiple players in the AM strata as a base "formation", and those who do are absolutely less likely to track back.

What people need to cotton on to really, is that to get the real life behaviour of lets say Hazard or Navas or similar players, you should play them as W(a) or WM(a) or even WPM(a). This is a far better reflection of real life.

I say it again. Your formation is your defensive shape. Do you think Chelsea line up, when defending, with Hazard so high up the field?

Archived