Player instructions

Hi,

When i try to assemble a tactic I am always having difficulty assesing the importance of player instructions.

I dont know if I should put in these instructions with keeping the position in mind and what i want from a player to do there OR trough this way trying to make a player do (or dont do) what he is good (or not good) in.

for example:

Position: I want to play with an AML as IF. I want him to dribble more and put pressure on his opponent. (regardless if this player excells in it or not)

OR

Player: My DM has very good ratings to try long shots (regardless if i especially want this in my team)

And, if it is based on players, do you set all instructions for each individual player?

Hope my question is a bit clear for you.. :-)

Cheers

I think you should take a holistic approach when creating your tactic. Try to think of the overall plan. If there is room within that plan for certain players to play with a certain instruction then by all means go for it, but I wouldn't sacrifice the overall approach for one players long shot in a patient possession tactic for example.

Only set any instruction (Team or Player) when your team or player isn't doing something you want, or they are doing something you don't want them to.

Wait and see how particular individuals play within your system, before deciding whether to layer on instructions. People seem to think they have to apply instructions, but you can have a perfectly cohesive system with none at all. My mantra always remains: if you don't know why you are applying it, don't apply it!

Archived