Goalie ratings

So I've felt that goalie average ratings are really odd for a while now. The very best manage, at most, a 7.10 - nowhere near enough to be considered for the Ballon d'Or like Neuer is these days. And now I had a CL playoff game (Bayern v Valencia) where I lost the game 3-1 in Spain (only my second loss this season!) and as a consequence, had to go in all guns blazing to win at home. I pulled it off (2-0 win with a very, VERY late goal plus a very, VERY late red card against me, so much drama), but the opposition goalie's performance really caught the eye. I had 19 shots on goal, from which he saved 14 (2 he let in and 3 were blocked, I guess). Add to that the fact that he saved TWO penalties. And his rating for the game (truly a goalkeeping performance for the ages despite Valencia being eliminated) was 6.5, which should mean "had a quiet game". Has anyone else found this to be ridiculous?

(stay tuned for part 2 - why don't sweeper keepers sweep?) :D

Ballon D'or is flawed in this game, so are some other awards like goal of the season. Could be the way the game rates players. I think it's more favourable to attacking players. Defenders usually get high ratings for me once they've scored, other than that I don't think I've seen a defender with 8+ rating without him scoring.

It's not the amount of saves that gives a GK a high rating. It's the manner of saves. If the text says something like magnificent save then the rating will go higher.

If indeed so, then this is completely ridiculous! The best goalies aren't the best because they look the coolest when flying through the air, they need to anticipate the play and position themselves accordingly to make less spectacular (and as a result, very likely more efficient) save.

Archived