Team Comparison & Tactical Choice

Hi guys,

Would be magic if somebody could help me with a bit of advice. I think I am now getting to grips with the game after studying tactics all over xmas, and some inspiring reading from Wez on his FM quite rage. I like using the team comparison to create my base tactic, and am now at a club with dubious ability at best. Weirdly, the media have me to finish 4th,but my players seem worse than that. Would be good to see how other members would set up their tactic based on the below comparison values?

zyj2xe.jpg

My defence is pacey so though about playing higher up, but their positioning is awful so may be a terrible idea?

10qw1hl.jpg

My midfield looks very poor except for teamwork and decisions. Currently playing a short passing game quite nicely but generally getting draws, sloppy defence.

15ebvat.jpg

My attack is actually doing okay with a F9 and inside forwards interchanging to good effect, probably due to the good movement figure shown.

Any advice would be great. Currently paying a short passing possession game which is doing decent but interested to see how others would approach a team style with these comparisons i.e mentality, shape, instructions

Many thanks

Well, the style I want to play is short passing, with players generally sticking to position. Doesn't need to be tika taka, but I like the short triangles until an opening occurs. Here is my formation, also have TIs of short passing and play out of defence.

Suppose it is really the mentality and shape which is getting me in a muddle, despite lots of reading.

nlyf49.png

Sorry, thought my mentality and shape were included in the screenshot, oops! I am currently playing with the standard shape and standard mentality. I have had a bit of success sometimes with the 'control' mentality, but it's a bit hit n miss.

Sorry, thought my mentality and shape were included in the screenshot, oops! I am currently playing with the standard shape and standard mentality. I have had a bit of success sometimes with the 'control' mentality, but it's a bit hit n miss.

By success do you mean, seeing the style you want or results?

What is the recommended method for selecting team mentality, shape (and team instructions)?.

I would guess that whilst I have a style in mind, I would need to look at the players attributes to see if they are suited. But, is this best done through comparison or talking the long road to looking at each player individually to see if they can play that way?.

It is quite difficult because lower league teams have such variable attribute levels, and a little bit contradictory with regard to what multiple attributes can be used to define the team style i.e good strength but bad tackling, decent passing but poor vision.

There are lots of factors which affect how your team play, so for this I am going to perhaps over-simplify and assume everything else is just neutral for now.

Think of them as ladders. One of them (mentality) basically affects how much risk your team is willing to take. So with Overload at the top and Contain at the bottom, the higher up the ladder you go, the wider your team will be in possession, they will have a higher defensive line, will close down more aggressively, will look to play with more direct attacks and with a greater tempo. The reverse is true as you go down the ladder.

The other (shape) affects player's creative freedom and thus the phases of play they will generally get more involved with. As you get more fluid, players will be more involved with all phases of play (defence, transition, attack); less fluid - less involved. You can argue (not set in stone though) that the more fluid you get, the better mental attributes a player needs, meaning more fluid settings may lend themselves more to better teams with better players. That's a generalisation though, and there are plenty of examples of lower league tactics using higher Team Shape settings.

So, to answer your question, it's not really about a recommended method for selecting mentality and shape, it's about understanding what they actually do and making your decisions from there.

Read these two stickies: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/394479-Tricking-the-Wizard-%E2%80%93-Guide-for-Understanding-the-Tactical-Creator-Dynamics and http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/394479-Tricking-the-Wizard-%E2%80%93-Guide-for-Understanding-the-Tactical-Creator-Dynamics for a better understanding.

There are lots of factors which affect how your team play, so for this I am going to perhaps over-simplify and assume everything else is just neutral for now.

Think of them as ladders. One of them (mentality) basically affects how much risk your team is willing to take. So with Overload at the top and Contain at the bottom, the higher up the ladder you go, the wider your team will be in possession, they will have a higher defensive line, will close down more aggressively, will look to play with more direct attacks and with a greater tempo. The reverse is true as you go down the ladder.

The other (shape) affects player's creative freedom and thus the phases of play they will generally get more involved with. As you get more fluid, players will be more involved with all phases of play (defence, transition, attack); less fluid - less involved. You can argue (not set in stone though) that the more fluid you get, the better mental attributes a player needs, meaning more fluid settings may lend themselves more to better teams with better players. That's a generalisation though, and there are plenty of examples of lower league tactics using higher Team Shape settings.

So, to answer your question, it's not really about a recommended method for selecting mentality and shape, it's about understanding what they actually do and making your decisions from there.

Read these two stickies: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/394479-Tricking-the-Wizard-%E2%80%93-Guide-for-Understanding-the-Tactical-Creator-Dynamics and http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/394479-Tricking-the-Wizard-%E2%80%93-Guide-for-Understanding-the-Tactical-Creator-Dynamics for a better understanding.

Thanks for the info. Your descriptions are pretty much what I thought the mentaility and fluid instructions did, but my difficulty is deciding what my team are equipped to do.

have read the tricking th wizard thread, which is a good read. PS, think your 2 links are the same.

Well, gotta admit, ironically I am now at that 'rage quit' stage, and am most likely gonna throw the game in the bin unless I can figure it out soon. I've spent hours on end, analysing what kind of team I've got, trying to play accordingly, and also going from keeping things simple to a lot of instructions, and nothing changes. Granted, my team isn't the best in the league, but to be 4-0 down at half time when pulling together a thought out playing style is killing me.

And all this after near on 10 days of forum thread reading to get some kind of grasp on things.

Well, gotta admit, ironically I am now at that 'rage quit' stage, and am most likely gonna throw the game in the bin unless I can figure it out soon. I've spent hours on end, analysing what kind of team I've got, trying to play accordingly, and also going from keeping things simple to a lot of instructions, and nothing changes. Granted, my team isn't the best in the league, but to be 4-0 down at half time when pulling together a thought out playing style is killing me.

And all this after near on 10 days of forum thread reading to get some kind of grasp on things.

Deep breath, post your current set up and see if we can pick our way through it. Maybe a few PKM's if you can.

Archived