View Incident... Why?

Hey guys.

I was just wondering:

When a controversial penalty has been given in a match, often you get some questions about it in the press afterwards.

To evaluate if the penalty was a fair call by the ref, you can view the incident.

But, why?

The game graphics and the "stickman" walking players only show a defender next to an attacker, sometimes with interactions, sometimes without. How are anybody able to judge whether or not the call was right, with the graphics?

The brings me to the final question: Why make it such a big deal often in the press meeting post-match, when it's impossible to call or not. Why?

Maybe it's just me or my missing ability to notice details.

If you look at the end of match analysis for the referee it will make comments on whether he had a good game or whether, "he has some answering to do."

I always use that as my key, but really if you think about it the fact the press are even asking the question means that there was a question about the call.

If you look at the end of match analysis for the referee it will make comments on whether he had a good game or whether, "he has some answering to do."

I always use that as my key, but really if you think about it the fact the press are even asking the question means that there was a question about the call.

Nah, sometimes the press get it wrong, so if you go by the press reaction you can be wrong too.

I've always saved the game before answer it, I'll criticise and if I'm wrong I'll reload to save the touchline ban, primarily on the reasons I can't possibly say whether it's an error or not.

I don't reload any where I'm genuinely pissed off though(!) I've sometimes absolutely flipped out at a penalty decision and blamed the ref just to deflect attention from the players, but other than that I can't say it's a worthwhile feature.

And if you criticised the ref and the ref was right you're in trouble; if the ref was wrong you aren't. That makes no sense. Either criticising refs is acceptable or it isn't. Whether the ref's decision turned out to be correct or not is neither here nor there.

It's not guess work. If you check in the "Referee" section in the game summary it will always show if the ref made a mistake or not. You don't even have to watch the incident.

Well I have always used that as a guideline, and so far it has never been wrong.

That does of course not mean that it can never be wrong. Just that I have never seen it.

Also sometimes it will say exactly what the mistake was. It will say something like "The ref made a mistake disallowing so and so goal when it really should have stood."

And if it says that the ref had an excellent game and you get a question asking about a decision you can be pretty sure that the decision was correct.

I always appeal the ban.

If the appeal fails you can still discipline the player for the sending off.

Usually it will say the sending off was harsh if it was an incorrect call, usually the best time to appeal it.

Most of the time the appeal fails.

It's not guess work. If you check in the "Referee" section in the game summary it will always show if the ref made a mistake or not. You don't even have to watch the incident.

It is guess work recently on my Stutgart save i had my center back Rudiger sent off it send the sending off was harsh and i checked the referees rating for the game and he got a 3 i appealed against the ban and the FA upheld it.

I've had one of these scenarios as recently as this morning.

My CD got a straight red 5 minutes from time.

When the decision was brought up by the press, a sentence underneath informed me that my Assistant Manager thought it was a professional foul and therefore not to appeal against it.

So I didn't.

Interesting question.

Always wondered the same.

Maybe it would be better to replace the "view incident" sequence with testimonials from the players and the ref. ("I am sorry, I did not mean to hit him" / "We all know that Franz is a brutal player!!", etc.)

Archived