What am I doing wrong in my Spurs save?

Hey guys I recently created a Spurs save but can not seem to win a Premier League game. I have played 11 EPL games so far and won just 2 (against Southampton and West Ham). I have lost to teems such as Crystal Palace (0-1) and Hull (5-1) and have only managed draws against Leicester and Stoke. I have been playing a 4-2-3-1 Wide. My main problem at the moment is that I cant finish chances, despite having set training to attacking and put a few of my players on individual training regimes to improve their shooting. I am also struggling at the back.

I have got the settings of control and fluid on, changing them every now and again (rarely) depending on the opponent. I have a few instructions too, they are:

Shorter Passing

Play out of defence

Look for Overlap

Push Higher Up

Close Down More

Prevent Short GK distribution

Lower Tempo

I used to have it set to 'retain possession' too but found that it left me getting less chances and trying to walk it in.

My roles are as follows:

Advanced Forward (Att)

Inside Forward (Att) Advanced Playmaker (Sup/Att) Inside Forward (Att)

Central Midfielder (Def) Ball Winning Midfielder (Def)

Full Back (Sup) Ball Playing Defender (Def) Central Defender (Def) Full Back (Sup)

Goalkeeper (Def)

My preffered starting XI is this, although I have had a fair few injuries so I haven't played with this often

Lacazette

Chadli Eriksen Lamela

Capoue Paulinho

Davies Vertonghen Fazio Walker

Lloris

I have tried tinkering with almost everything but nothing is changing my fortunes. Any help on how to improve this?

you are up against the best managers in the world in the BPL, so if you play predicatble tactics then you are going to probably run into problems.

Ive learned about the importance of your opponent recently. If they see your lineup, and see that you are playing the same formation, and adopt the same mentality/strategy then you will problems.

If this is the case then they will look to perform specific team instructions to counter your preferred choice. So with all your players pressed up high on the pitch, i would guess that the opposition force the ball over the top and exploit the space behind your defence.

Ask yourself. How are you conceding goals, have a look at your fixtures, and replay the goals and the CCC's back. What is the opponent strategy and how are they able to counteract what you are doing?

Also, if you want to play attacking and high pressing, i cannot express enough the importance of formations. If the team is playing 4-4-2, then I will play a 4-6-0, exploiting the space between the lines.

If they have a 4-3-3 then i might play a formation similar to yours to exploit the space between midfield and defence with inside forwards.

I would imagine that the opposition is playing with at least 1 DMC whenever you play at the moment if you are playing the same formation each time? If so then the space will more likely be at your DMC position, where you can play a DLP set to direct passing, he can open up spaces on the possession recycle phase of play.

Don't look too much at what you are doing, and instead concentrate on the opposition. Scout the opposition beforehand and create a tactic to beat them on the day.

Goals are scored by exploiting opponent weaknesses. A weakness can be a formation, their strategy a player, a player role, a specific attritbute on a player, utilising opposition instructions against their main threats.

Questions i ask myself are, where is the space likely to be.

Who is their main threat, how can i reduce his effect on the game.

What mentality style of football are they playing?

you are up against the best managers in the world in the BPL, so if you play predicatble tactics then you are going to probably run into problems.

Ive learned about the importance of your opponent recently. If they see your lineup, and see that you are playing the same formation, and adopt the same mentality/strategy then you will problems.

If this is the case then they will look to perform specific team instructions to counter your preferred choice. So with all your players pressed up high on the pitch, i would guess that the opposition force the ball over the top and exploit the space behind your defence.

Ask yourself. How are you conceding goals, have a look at your fixtures, and replay the goals and the CCC's back. What is the opponent strategy and how are they able to counteract what you are doing?

Also, if you want to play attacking and high pressing, i cannot express enough the importance of formations. If the team is playing 4-4-2, then I will play a 4-6-0, exploiting the space between the lines.

If they have a 4-3-3 then i might play a formation similar to yours to exploit the space between midfield and defence with inside forwards.

I would imagine that the opposition is playing with at least 1 DMC whenever you play at the moment if you are playing the same formation each time? If so then the space will more likely be at your DMC position, where you can play a DLP set to direct passing, he can open up spaces on the possession recycle phase of play.

Don't look too much at what you are doing, and instead concentrate on the opposition. Scout the opposition beforehand and create a tactic to beat them on the day.

Goals are scored by exploiting opponent weaknesses. A weakness can be a formation, their strategy a player, a player role, a specific attritbute on a player, utilising opposition instructions against their main threats.

Questions i ask myself are, where is the space likely to be.

Who is their main threat, how can i reduce his effect on the game.

What mentality style of football are they playing?

I think that whilst there is some good stuff in there, and the sentiment is good, its absolutely wrong to say the bit in bold.

There are some fundemental flaws in the tactic laid out by the OP, and i would have a field day if i was an opposing manager. Some things to think about for the OP:

• 3 attack duties in the AM strata - You are basically playing with 4 attackers. You will be easily picked off on the counter and exposed down the flanks ruthlessly because your wide men will provide zero cover.
  • You dline will be very high, because you use "control" but then also add the TI - do you have the players to handle this high line?
  • Your 2 CM will keep no shape at all, one is a heavy pressing player (BWM) and the other has a PPM completely unsuited to his role (take a look at Capoue's PPM)
  • With pressing you are also "doubling up" because "control" already increases this slightly, and you added the TI on top.
  • Your wide men in attack are high up the pitch because of starting position and duty. Behind them the fullbacks are on quite a cautious role/duty combo = Big space between them on each side

Overall have a read of some of the stickies and the popular threads with lots of replies and you will start to get an idea. Think about how your team will function as a unit both going forward and in defence.

One option is to take the approach to change tactics every single game based on the opposition - if that is your management style then go for it. However it requires players with a lot of flexibility and comes at the cost of tactical fluidity. It is no less valid than building a solid base system which you use for maybe 70% of games and tweak it in small ways when necessary. The later approach is one followed by most managers (myself included) but both can be ways to approach football.

Good luck :)

I totally see this system playing out a la Spurs under AVB in the first half of last season, almost certainly having the majority of possession, but unable to break the d-line, frustratingly prone on the counter and dependent on flashes of inspiration for goals.

Re the post above, I'm not sure I'd be so reactive in my tactical approach - as cleon would put it, I prefer to perfect my own base approach and tweak from there. I find that my form can be very patchy with formation changes match-to-match.

Archived