Struggling to play possession football but not sure exactly why

I seem to be struggling to get my Liverpool team to play possession football no matter what I do at best I end up with around 45-55% possession in every game, I've tried the "retain possession" and "shorter passing" options but to no avail. The problem I find is my players just end up kicking or heading the ball into space or worse still a lot of the time towards an opposition player. Any suggestions please ?

One thing I had been thinking is if adding a DM in between the defence and midfield might improve things by giving a link between the two lines but then I would have to play with one CF which I dont really want to do as both Lambert and Sturidge are at least playing well and getting a decent amount of goals between them. My current starting instructions and formation are show below.

Tactics_OverviewOverview-6_zps83371e6c.png

Tactics_OverviewOverview-5_zps2e5aef59.png

You have lots of Attack Duties in the final third running away from the ball, it's no surprise that possession is hard to dominate. You also lack numbers in central midfield to control play, and you direct passes out to the flanks with Play Wider anyway. All in all, plenty of areas to improve on if possession is the aim.

You can't just hit the "Retain Possession" TI and expect loads of possession, as much as I wish we could ;).

Possession will also be based on (amongst other things) your team structure, available passing options, player skill and - importantly - what your team does when not in possession. Think of Barcelona, when they lose the ball do they stand off and wait for the opposition to give it back, or do they hassle the opposition into forcing errors? The less time the opposition has the ball, the more time you do and thus you have greater possession.

4-4-2 isn't really a possession tactic, yes it can keep the ball against certain shapes better than others but the lack of central players means its not really possession based. Add to this you play with advanced wingers in the AML/R slots and this just further exposes the two MC's and means they have to attempt more risky passes regardless of what wide roles you use.

In match check the tool that shows you where you have low pass completion. Defense, midfield, or attack.

What is your GK distribution instruction? When I select distribute to FB or CD then his pass completion goes up and with it the entire defense passing stat and your possession.

As for the other areas, you need options to pass too and players who can pass and keep the ball.

I always find push higher up, shorter passing, work ball into box, lower tempo to increase possession.

Because that topic was about my defence and this is about trying to keep the ball, I also have made changes based on that thread to help my defence for example putting both CD on defend and changing the role of the left central mid player. Also the point you raised in the first thread about the dline being deeper leaving a bigger gap between the defence and rest of the team is something I have taken on and don't ask the defence to drop deeper with the team instructions any longer. Sorry if I have got it wrong by starting another thread for what I viewed as another topic its just what normally happens on other forums I use so I assumed I should do the same here.

I decided to go with a 4-2-3-1 formation after the ideas on this thread and also asked the keeper to pass to the CD's rather than take long kicks, and changed most of the team instructions, I ended up with 58% possession which just leave me with a question and that is how much possesion should a team get before they are considered to be playing possession football as this is one of the aims the board are asking of me and clearly the higher it is the better chance I have off doing well in games.

Archived