Players retiring young

As you've noticed when a player is without a club for a certain length of time the game retires them as they aren't serving a purpose and just taking up space.

There tends to be a couple of main reasons why players find themselves in that position:

A) The user builds an unbalanced game world (Large database, small number of leagues) which leads to more players being loaded than are needed to fill the squads meaning many players have no where to play.

B) Sometimes a player finds himself in limbo where the wages he expects is much higher than his skill level. The teams at his skill level won't pay the high wage demands while he isn't good enough for the teams that will. SI have been tweaking this area the last couple of versions but you still get cases of it happening particularly at high levels.

Overall though the game does need to retire players who aren't being used and this represents the RL players who leave professional football every year.

Iv noticed for years now that players who are unattached for a certain period of time, retire no matter what age they are. Be it 20 or 30 or whatever, Its extremely annoying. Anyone know why this is?

Its really annoying. On top of that I get flooded with virtual players where these guys should be replacing them.

The thing that has annoyed me about this in previous versions was when players who are perfectly capable and realistically should be picked up by a team don't, and end up retiring. Especially annoying if the reason they are no longer with your club is because they refused to sign a new deal. I doubt many players would walk away from a potential new deal without a backup plan/offer from another club. E.g. on FM14 when I managed Wrexham and we got up to the Championship, one of my best wingers decided he didn't want to sign a new deal. He had potential to be a decent Premier League player, and probably could've walked into any League 1 team and some Championship teams at the point he left. However, he didn't join any other club, and ended up being retired after some time. As I said though, this was on FM14, I don't know if things like this are replicated in FM15.

Archived