How to get your man

I've just started playing FM 2015.

I'm playing as Sunderland. As per usual. Mid-lower premier league team.

And....I am having no luck at all with getting any transfers.

In particular this morning I tried to get the wonderkid that everyone gets. Had my offer accepted for him, made a decent wage offer, leagues ahead of what he currently has and in line with what his agent asked for...and got a message back a week later saying he wasn't interested. Dang.

So. I wonder. How does contract negotiating work in this game? Are there any decent guides to the 'trick's for it?

I don't know of any tricks as such but one way you could try(I wouldn't recommended this as a long term solution as you'll be screwed financially) is to offer him above and beyond while negotiating to the point where his agent will say something along the lines of "that's a great deal I'll be in touch with your administration staff shortly to finalise the deal"

The trick is to know your targets, which are achievable and which aren't.

Points to identify:

A) The league you are in - Reputation wise usually in the top three in the world.

B) Club - Reputation good but you are a mid-low club in a top league.

So who should you target?

Well players who aren't wanted (Released/for sale etc) by the bigger clubs not just in England but the big clubs in Italy, Germany, Spain & the likes of PSG. After that you should be able to match big clubs in smaller leagues (eg Ajax/Porto/Celtic) but some players will maybe lean towards continental football & trophies rather than mid table in England.

Use your scouts & staff to identify interested players but in general they'll come from smaller leagues or clubs.

Know what your database size is and how that affects your game. As an experiment I'm playing two saves with the same club, one with a large db and one with a small. A player that cost me £20m with a large db cost me more than 90 with a small. A player I bought for seven isn't available for less than sixty.

Your strategies will have to change. On a large db, I'm much more selective about players and try to target and unsettle specific targets. On small db, I'm opportunistic and try to identify undervalued assets even if they don't necessarily fit. Then I'll make them work for a while, sell for a profit and use that to finance brute force bids for payers who fill multiple roles.

Not sure if anyone told you sometimes sucking up the player helps. Showing your interest in the player will help not sure if that will increase the attention of other clubs though it has worked for me on other players. Again depends on the club you are. So use options like "Speak About" and interest. A perfect e.g. is the Norwegian player who recently signed for Real Madrid. Liverpool, Man Utd and others were trying to sign him up quickly but even though Real Madrid was far behind in the queue they managed to get him because of the name.

Some people in this forum told me to use that strategy when i was trying to buy players from Germany which was painfull because the players wanted to stay in germany and had no interest playing in the EPL.

cheers

Expecting a top wonderkid that all the big clubs are after to choose Sunderland isn't exactly a realistic expectation.

1: It is when he is a nobody with no interest who in the game just happens to have good stats.

2: In reality smart young players will often choose a lower team over a higher one as it means they can play, develop, and then sign for a big team in the future, rather than sit on the bench for the rest of their life.

Most young players aren't that smart. See Adam Johnson, Jack Rodwell and Scott Sinclair.

Something in common :D who would sign for City :)

There are loads of players who have gone to a top4 club and not even made the bench!

One thing I've noticed is:

When you target a player that is wanted by more reputable clubs you should be weary about negotiating his contract. Stay close to the original demands to help you seal the deal. I don't say it will always work, but sometimes these players actually opt for the money over a club that negotiates them down to unacceptable levels. I've won a few 'transfer wars' that way.

Chasing down a player your after can be a sometimes long process. There was a left midfielder I was after at Stoke who I spotted at 18 first season (of being interested) OM beat me to him - but ultimately I knew he wasn't going to get all that much game time there as his stats just weren't that good. So I waited around a bit, 6 months later he was for sale but their asking price was an inflated £17m (they bought him for £6m) come the end of that season his price was down to £5m and I made my move, but this time Real Madrid stepped in. Same situation, with his current stats he was a little better, but at 19 never going to get into their first team. It was a similar situation, but took 18 months for him to move on to Arsenal for £7.5m at the age of 20, and rinse and repeat once more, in total 5 transfer windows later I signed him for £2.3m and he was still only 21/22.

During that time I loaned or signed cheap players to fill the gap on the left, there wasn't really anyone else I'd identified who was affordable as he had the potential to be a great player and did go on to become one in my side. When I sold him at 28 (two bad injuries in that season and a new prospect who needed games) he fetched over £30m.

Of course, there are times when the player I identified has gone on to be a success due to injuries or getting a chance and I've missed out but that becomes quite apparent if its going to be the case inside 6-12 months.

I've currently had a German striker who's now 20 on my radar for 5 years, slowly probing his club (Leverkusen) with offers and the enquire option, as I knew there was no rush to sign him.

Raphaël Varane as well, right? I mean, come on, there's no way to know how Martin Ødegaard is going to turn out yet.

That is why I said could. Be honest where can you put Odegaard in the line up of the los galacticos where he will play day in day out? At least Varane has already proven himself at Real he has just been injury-hit the last 2 seasons

Archived