Player Mutiny Cost Me...

I started my career at Elgin City in Scotland League 2, winning the title in my 2nd season I was on the steady climb up the tiers. A solid mid-table finish year 3 gave me the base to mount a playoff challenge this season. Halfway through the season we were doing ok looking comfortable in 4th and not far off the pace of the leading teams. Then came the January transfer window...

Towards the end of the window I was approached by 4 Premiership clubs Kilmarnock, Partick Thistle, Motherwell & Hamilton for my 17 year old ACM Mackay. Jack Mackay was 2 star CA, 4.5 PA, natural at ACM and accomplished at CF. Out of my 3 saved tactics I don't use an ACM so encouraged his CF development which made him my 3rd choice CF in which he rarely started games only likely to come off the bench for game time. I decided with our financial situation it was logical sense to sell him with the offers being too good to refuse. Just before the window closed Mackay left for Kilmarnock in which the board were happy to sell and I got 80% confidence backing from the fans. Then it all kicked off...

My 1st choice CF Shane Sutherland approached me wanting an explanation as to why I sold one of the clubs brightest talents. I was honest with him and said that we needed to sell him because of our finances and also he wasn't getting much game time. Well Sutherland made it his job to get me sacked. He went back to the squad and criticised the transfer. Every single player backed Sutherland and the team morale plummeted. From the end of January to the 1st week of March I we had 2 losses, 2 draws and 1 win. During this time Sutherland isn't approachable to talk, how the hell can I revert the morale...?

The end of February the board approach me with Sutherland and another player to talk about the squad harmony, the board give me an ultimatum if I refuse to attend the meeting I'll get SACKED!!! What...? Obviously I attended to sort this out, I went all out to get the players on my side and apologised to Sutherland regarding the transfer.

Within the 1st week of March the players morale didn't change I even tried a team meeting to encourage the team to pull together and be more positive. The next 2 games was a draw and a win that I previously mentioned. The team dropped 2 places since January and we were nowhere near relegation with enough games to still challenge the playoffs. Without warning, even without my job being insecure in the job security I was sacked by the Elgin board little over a month after selling a player...

Frustrated, annoyed, disappointed, angry I'm sure you know how I feel. Personnally I think this is crazy. Was this harsh or is this what I deserved?

Sunday league footballer.

Maybe this is the reason the players backfired on me. Although I would have thought winning a title and 3 good seasons would enhance my reputation, especially earn a little more respect from my players.

As far as the game is concerned, your reputation will not have helped, but in the eyes of many users, this type of team reaction is wrong and is too sensitive. The player reaction module has been redone and has swung from one extreme to another. Most situations are recoverable with care, but it probably needs tweaking a little

As far as the game is concerned, your reputation will not have helped, but in the eyes of many users, this type of team reaction is wrong and is too sensitive. The player reaction module has been redone and has swung from one extreme to another. Most situations are recoverable with care, but it probably needs tweaking a little

Say I start as a Sunday League Footballer but my game lasts 15 years before I get a big job like Man United/City ect will the Sunday League footballer reputation haunt me or will the game recognise I've earned a reputation in football regardless of my stature before?

Say I start as a Sunday League Footballer but my game lasts 15 years before I get a big job like Man United/City ect will the Sunday League footballer reputation haunt me or will the game recognise I've earned a reputation in football regardless of my stature before?

It's not that bad :lol:

This is true. thebiggest gripe I have with this, is that you cannot speak to unhappy players, about anything. You cannot directly resolve an issue, you have to wait for the players to not e unhappy.

I find this very unrealistic. You should be well respected by such a modest club after three years of success.

Can you post your manager stats?

Reputation - 57%

Media Handling - 87%

Tactical Consistancy - 80%

Hands on Approach - 75%

Managing Finances - 100%

Handling Team Discipline - 80% :lol:

Loyalty to Players - 45%

Domestic Player Bias - 85%

Coaching

Attacking - 9

Defence - 8

Fitness - 2

Goalkeepers - 3

Tactical - 9

Technique - 6

Mental - 7

Working with Youth - 1

Mental

Adaptability - 3

Determination - 3

Player Knowledge - 11

Youngster Knowledge - 7

Level of Discipline - 3

Man Management - 6

Motivating - 4

Reputation - 57%

Media Handling - 87%

Tactical Consistancy - 80%

Hands on Approach - 75%

Managing Finances - 100%

Handling Team Discipline - 80% :lol:

Loyalty to Players - 45%

Domestic Player Bias - 85%

Coaching

Attacking - 9

Defence - 8

Fitness - 2

Goalkeepers - 3

Tactical - 9

Technique - 6

Mental - 7

Working with Youth - 1

Mental

Adaptability - 3

Determination - 3

Player Knowledge - 11

Youngster Knowledge - 7

Level of Discipline - 3

Man Management - 6

Motivating - 4

And therein lies part of the problem... Combined with a somewhat oversensitive feature this is a recipe for disaster...

So...apparently I've had a "dust up" with one of my bench wingers, after he "approached me to ask for more first team soccer, and was angered by my refusal to play him". Except, I haven't had a meeting with him recently, and I haven't refused him to opportunity to play. I don't like it when the game puts words in my mouth and creates drama.

Take Andre Vilas Boas then, or Brendan Rodgers.

Wasn't Rodgers a pro at Reading until he was 20, and then played non-league for a few years?

EDIT: As for AVB, doesn't he sort of prove the system, he was sacked from several high profile jobs because the players didn't respect him...

Take Andre Vilas Boas then, or Brendan Rodgers.

Brendan Rodgers played for Reading reserves and a few Northern Irish sides this is still higher than ''Pub league'' he also built a solid rep as a Coach and Manager.

Villas boas also used the coaching route and happen to be real.

Sunday league football is at a similar level too you and your mates getting together for a kick-about down the park after a Saturday night **** up. How would a semi-pro footballer react to you?

Right so this just happened to me. Manager of Chicago in the MLS. WON the MLS the season before, and this season heading towards the MLS Cup with 11 games to go. Playing well and just, for the first time since I joined might I add, about to play in the Champions League when I get sacked. Reason: team morale. This is a joke. I had 3 or 4 players who I'd brought in for nothing to fill up the roster, yet I hadn't played them much at all (some none) and they were getting frustrated. I tried to placate them but ended up just essentially ignoring them. Now these are not first team players, the first team are generally happy, except a few who have said they react badly to how i've treated these 3 or 4.

I was leading them to potentially a second MLS, its madness. Anyway unfortunately I'd saved the game only a day or two before my sacking and no matter what I do (including going through every individual in the squad and praising them, calling a team meeting and approaching the captain regarding team morale and receiving a positive answer) I still get sacked. I'm also manager of Nicaragua (it is my intention to try to improve the national team as best as I can, so I've loaded their leagues too), so I will most likely attempt to get a job in Nicaragua now.

Edit: I've now saved beyond it as I realise there is nothing I can do... :( Stupid broken player interaction system.

I was at Gillingham with a semi pro reputation. We had a few good seasons, Survived in the first season, promotion to the championship, relegation back to league one, promotion then a 2nd relegation before being head hunted by premier league Swansea. Too good to turn down I packed my bags and headed off to Wales. We had a rough start with 3 defeats but then improved and climbed to a peak of 6th before settling in to a comfortable but unspectacular mid table position. As one of the favourites for relegation and with the board ecstatic at my performance in the league I thought my job was safe. I had 6 central midfielders of which Jonjo Shelvey was the best (not by a lot mind you).

I decided to make Shelvey my captain in August and try to build a team around him. He started the season well, but then picked up a 1 month injury and his removal from the team coincided with my upturn in form. Not wanting to change a winning side, I left him on the bench for 3 or 4 matches and he came to complain about not playing. I told him Tom Huddlestone was in the form of his life and Shelvey said it wasn't good enough and he was going to talk to his team mates. A few days later I had to hold a team meeting to discuss the problem with Shelvey. I told them that playing him meant one of them would end up on the bench and that made no one happy! I ended up with 5 or 6 unhappy players and was eventually sacked just before the FA Cup 3rd round against (managerless) Crystal Palace.

I jumped in to an intervie w with palace, got offered the job the day before the game against Swansea took the job and promptly knocked Swansea out of the FA Cup. Possibly my most enjoyable moment in FM history due to the time between getting sacked and getting revenge.

For what it is worth, Shelvey was on the bench against me and was sold to Aston Villa for 17m a few days after I joined Palace.....

Brendan Rodgers played for Reading reserves and a few Northern Irish sides this is still higher than ''Pub league'' he also built a solid rep as a Coach and Manager.

Villas boas also used the coaching route and happen to be real.

Sunday league football is at a similar level too you and your mates getting together for a kick-about down the park after a Saturday night **** up. How would a semi-pro footballer react to you?

Ugh... Couldn't you, like, not push the point in a specific direction?

Managers with no playing experience "who are successful" since that's what people want to see;

Arsene Wenger apparently only played for local teams and amateur sides - he's a Sunday rep.

Houillier is another, though if he's successful is a different thing.

Carlos Alberto parreira is a world cup winner with no playing experience.

Arrigo Sacchi is another.

Arsene Wenger apparently only played for local teams and amateur sides - he's a Sunday rep.

Played for Strasbourg when they won Ligue 1 in the late 70's, though apparently played very few games. Played in Ligue 2 as well.

So in the modern, European game the only two managers of any note who were "Sunday League footballers" were AVB and Houllier. AVB started working in football at the age of 16, didn't get a full-time job as a club manager until the age of 32 (after 16 years in the game), and even then despite working for the like of Robson and Mourinho only got a job at a pretty average Portugese side. He then struggled massively with player mutinies at both Chelsea and Tottenham.

Houllier started out in a totally different era, and even then was in management for 9 years before getting a decent job.

If you're asking for realism, it should be NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE to succeed with no professional playing experience at anything above a semi-pro level, and you should encounter the most average of players treating you with utter disrespect. The game is actually still too easy in that regard. If you start off with a high reputation, and take over a modest club, you'll be fine. It's yet another case of people giving the game a stupidly unrealistic input, and then complaining that the result is unrealistic.

I think the problem is that too many times the whole squad backs a player who is in the wrong.

Player A asks to join Man United If a bid is made. I say no and people moan I am keeping him against his wishes.

I say yes and the same players moan I am selling the best players. It's a side of the game the manager has NO control over And the player reactions seem to be fairly random.

The other problem is the amount of time it takes them to get over it. It's unrealistic.

I'd imagine it's affected(effected?) by a players hidden "controversy" attribute. I know a lot of people who play as Man Utd, struggle with these situations, sell Wanye Rooney, and then suffer much, much less, if at all.

Archived