How differently do you set up when playing away?

So I've just started my 3rd season at Villarreal and I still struggle away from home. At home we play incredibly well with usually 60% possession and we create a lot of chances. This is the set up I play at home : Tactics_%20Overview%20Overview_zps1mnjcfl6.png

This tactic gives me what I like to play , and that is high possession and patient probing with the CF dropping off for the AM's to run into the space - but this doesn't work away. So I'm looking for a more counter attacking style and I've been tinkering with the 4-4-1-1 formation which is very similar to 4231.

Tactics_%20Overview%20Overview-2_zpst3it3uga.png

What I'm seeing happen with this tactic is when we get forward we aren't breaking fast enough and then when it comes to Vietto he just shoots from range. We've got a quick team but not much aerial prowess so I think the best way to play away from home would be to absorb pressure and quickly break.

I'm just looking for some input really into how you play away from home , and if you use the same tactic / set up for both home and away games . Any advice on tactics is also appreciated.

Best thing to do when playing away is to not make drastic changes before a match. See what's going on during the game on the pitch and adjust accordingly. When you begin to notice patterns, or certain issues popping up continuously on the road, then you can craft a new tactic that addresses said issues. Otherwise, you end up creating a tactic based around an idea rather than a concrete fact.

Of course there's nothing wrong with creating a tactic that you feel is defensively more "solid", but you may be blunting your attack too much. So I think it makes sense to stick with what you've got and see how it goes, and THEN make changes.

For example with my Manchester United team, we're practically unbeatable at home. However on the road teams are likely to press against my "play out of the back / keep the ball" style, so sometimes I need to be more direct with the ball. I could easily make another tactic, but sometimes it's easier to make changes on the fly you know. But the point here is that I didn't create an away tactic, I just wanted to see what would happen away from home before making changes.

I am a real critic of the notion of Home and Away tactics; I think it is a redundant concept because it takes absolutely no account of who you are playing or what their system is.

Do you just robotically switch between systems based on where you play? If so, why?

I am a real critic of the notion of Home and Away tactics; I think it is a redundant concept because it takes absolutely no account of who you are playing or what their system is.

Do you just robotically switch between systems based on where you play? If so, why?

I agree you need to adapt. Sometimes a side could be playing a formation your system isn't suited for, looking at yours I'd be wary of facing a 4312, I would either make adjustments or switch to a new system. There is no such thing as a home tactic and an away tactic. Its how you approach the game. Does your tactical system allow you to make changes? Have you trained your players to play against an AMC or a DLP? If you haven't then you are doing something wrong

This. I think what most teams do IRL is they have different strategies, but it's not like they say: "right, this is what we do at home, and this is what we do on the road." I think Mourinho once talked about having a few different shapes he liked to go through. So for instance.. he'd have his typical 4-2-3-1, then a 3 at the back system, and a 2 striker system. Basically this way they could adapt to whatever came their way.

Ok thanks for the feedback , I probably confused a lot of people because I was rushing and didn't truely right up what I was thinking and the fact I showed two different formations and labeled them home and away didn't help. I play the 4231 home and away atm for 2 seasons and finished 4th and 3rd respectively , so the tactic isn't all too bad. I've only played the 4-4-1-1 formation a handfull of times over the 2 seasons and that's against Real and Barca plus the odd champions league game.

What I was really trying to get at is do you change anything pre-match when playing away , or do you just make changes you feel are neccesary as the game goes on?

I feel my 4231 tactic leaves me vulnerable to counter attacks because both my CM's can be caught high up the pitch and long balls just catch me out , but it feels like if I put either of them on defensive we just dont have the control as we do in other games and we hardly create. So I suppose I need to find a balance like maybe putting my AM on support duty to help out or something. Another problem I have is if we get hit on the break one of the CB's will always push up causing a huge gap that will get exploited , but I think that's because neither of the CM's are really pressuring the guy on the ball or are even around to help.

What I was really trying to get at is do you change anything pre-match when playing away , or do you just make changes you feel are neccesary as the game goes on?

It depends on who I play with, if I am up against a formation that usually gives me trouble I change ahead of the game, during a game, I could make more subtle changes like telling players not to get forward easily. There isn't any universal solution, you need to adapt. For big sides you usually don' need to, but for average sides you need to

There isn't any universal solution, you need to adapt. For big sides you usually don' need to, but for average sides you need to

I'd agree with this. At the moment, I have a very dominant Southampton side and I don't change a things at all before matches. Maybe a tweak here or there in matches, but I tend to trust that things will work themselves out if we concede when we're playing well.

It's a complete about face from me, because on FM13 I was enormously pro-active and developed a range of 3-4-1-2 variants which I used based exclusively on how the AI lined up. Just goes to prove there's definitely no single approach which is better than others.

Don't change for away games at all. Big club. However, I may change for games where we're heavy favourites. More adventurous then, might give my wingbacks a bit more rope to play with, for example. Or maybe test things I wouldn't dare in more short-odds matches. And/or give reserves and juniors some competitive match time.

Archived