Anyone managed a big, top nation as a foreigner?

Have you managed the likes of Brazil, Argentina or Germany as an Englishman, Frenchman etc.? Did you manage them alongside a club? Had you managed in the country before (with a club)? What had you achieved by the time you got the job? Which FM (or CM) was this? And of course, how did you do?

I did some experimenting on my FM 2007 (nearly a decade of playing and I only just thought to find the ins and outs of international job applications), and it turns out only my home nations and a couple of Africans are interested when I'm employed (club or club + country), even teams that haven't qualified for anything in a decade or two.

Though plenty of jobs open up if I'm unemployed, more than what's offered to a new user with international player past experience. Still, Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Italy and co. remain elusive despite a Ferguson x Guardiola career so far across 3 decades.

So I'm curious, particularly about editions closer to 2007 (in case jobs are easier to get these days).

Not yet in FM15.

In FM 13 I managed Spain (alongside PSG) and Argentina (1 year together with Barcelona and then 3 years without a club). I was offered Spain job before WC qualification playoff and I applied for Argentina job after World Cup. With Spain I reached 2nd round at WC and got sacked after defeat and with Argentina I lost Copa America final, OG final, Confederations Cup final and WC semi final, all against Brazil.

In FM 14 I applied for Argentina job (resigned from Monaco after getting the job). I won Copa America, Olympics and Confederations Cup and lost the final of World Cup to Japan after penalties. And I was offered France but I declined. And I didn't manage in Argentina before or after.

Both times I had dual nationalities, Slovenian and Swedish.

I've managed Holland and Italy as Ukrainian in FM 2015.I have never managed in Holland,but have won several trophies with Napoli and Real Madrid before being appointed.(Both times I was employed at clubs too). Also, it depends on your status(mine was/is World Class,so nobody would reject my application). I havent won anything with nations,mainly because i was unlucky with them. I took Holland in a tough period than there weren't many talented players,plus main stars were pretty old(30+) and they were in a bad form(less than 6.5). As a result, I had to bring on a Euro a bunch of players whose level was below the level of the national team, but who were in a good form. I lost Spain in 1/8(the objective was 1/4) due a red and a penalty,but we had a lot of score chances,so it wasnt our day. (Spain won the tournament)After that i resigned. On next Euro i managed Italy with a pretty good squad, but again there was no luck. Lost to France in 1/8 (objective 1/2). Result 1-0 and again a lot of missed opportunities to score. So i decided that i will never ever manage a national team again.

In my FM14 save that I'm still playing in 2041, my Scottish manager coached Spain (but that was after he had already coached Scotland to a World Cup). But after losing in the European Championship in the semifinals, I resigned in disgrace, the Scotland job opened up (was being managed by a Spaniard), I applied and they instead hired some regen stiff that had been fired from 3 Premier League teams.

Just been offered the France job in my current FM 15 save, just after the 2016 Euros, as a Northern Irish manager, though I do have French as a language in my profile. Playing as Man Utd, won league in my first season (unbeaten, first time ever in any FM) and the league and FA Cup in my second.

Going to turn it down though, don't find taking such a big job and sticking with club side realistic, would be tempted if something similar came up later in the save.

edit: Few days after turning down France, offered the Dutch job.

it depends on your status(mine was/is World Class,so nobody would reject my application). I took Holland in a tough period than there weren't many talented players,plus main stars were pretty old(30+) and they were in a bad form(less than 6.5).

I am World Class, I've been the top manager in the game for decades.

I'm not sure how the reputation of teams work. Whether I'd be more likely to get the Brazil job if they got knocked out at the group stages for 5 World Cups in a row, or if I'd be less likely to get the Austria job if they won the World Cup. I know in my game (FM 2007) the seedings don't change. I was able to be offered the Netherlands job in my test when I was unemployed, but they haven't been amazing.

I managed the French job as an Englishmen and it was probably the most stressful time I've had as a manager! I won the Euro Nations cup but yet I was still only stable, I drew against Scotland in a friendly after completely dominating 90 minutes by job went to insecure. I won the European Championship my job status went to stable. I lost the next game after that against England and it went back down to insecure. I actually asked on these boards if it was a bug but I was told it was because I'm English. It was like they were waiting for me to fail, I resigned thinking I didn't need that pressure, I was also managing Real Madrid at the time which was high pressured enough. I took a couple of years out of international management and despite the success I've had both Argentina and Brazil turned me down.

I have always thought that IF you wanted realism then when you play in a foreign country the game switched languages :D

Good luck with China ;)

Mandarin is just another language. I actually know more Mandarin than German, and I don't know much of either.

Archived