Advice for player starting an MLS save?

I am thinking of starting a save with an MLS team. I know the structure of the league and the rules and stuff like that are very different from European football. The whole draft thing too how does that work? Any help is appreciated

I played a Vancouver Whitecaps save in FM12. It was really enjoyable. The game, back then, undervalued draft picks, and you could acquire them pretty easily. That said, there was rarely anything of value in the draft pool unless you picked 1st or so.

Hopefully that's changed. As a fan of major NA sports, I like the draft idea and the way MLS is run, and might do another on this year's game.

I'm with the Sounders. The league is enjoyable. You get your usual youth intake. The draft occurs because many players go to college instead of continuing through the soccer academy. These players are trained by the college coaches, not by any club coaches. During college, these players can elect to be part of the draft. You get to draft players in their early 20s. My scouts are usually off regarding the drafts PA. You can still get a good draft pick with a 3rd or 4th rounds if you have better scouts (the good ones won't join your team until your rep is higher).

Also you can only sign 6 players (called discovery players) from other leagues/countries PER YEAR.

You only get 8 international player slots, but you can trade with other MLS teams for more spots. I like to collect 30+ international slots because teams are willing to pay a little money for those slots. I usually trade 1 year of my international slot for 100,000 to 300,000.

You can't spend more than 388,000 on a players salary, except for the 3 designated players. I try my best to get DPs with high selling potential. My base squad is usually young but still talented.

Due to the salary cap, I buy and sell every transfer window. Only sell when a player is wanted (I send out offers when I see that wanted icon). I keep tabs of the players I want to keep long term and the ones that I plan to sell. The players I want to sell are usually good and performs well for me.

I'm with the Sounders. The league is enjoyable. You get your usual youth intake. The draft occurs because many players go to college instead of continuing through the soccer academy. These players are trained by the college coaches, not by any club coaches. During college, these players can elect to be part of the draft. You get to draft players in their early 20s. My scouts are usually off regarding the drafts PA. You can still get a good draft pick with a 3rd or 4th rounds if you have better scouts (the good ones won't join your team until your rep is higher).

Also you can only sign 6 players (called discovery players) from other leagues/countries PER YEAR.

You only get 8 international player slots, but you can trade with other MLS teams for more spots. I like to collect 30+ international slots because teams are willing to pay a little money for those slots. I usually trade 1 year of my international slot for 100,000 to 300,000.

You can't spend more than 388,000 on a players salary, except for the 3 designated players. I try my best to get DPs with high selling potential. My base squad is usually young but still talented.

Due to the salary cap, I buy and sell every transfer window. Only sell when a player is wanted (I send out offers when I see that wanted icon). I keep tabs of the players I want to keep long term and the ones that I plan to sell. The players I want to sell are usually good and performs well for me.

I was hoping SI would fix the draft and make it 4 rounds like it is in real life. It is only 2 rounds in FM15.

I was hoping SI would fix the draft and make it 4 rounds like it is in real life. It is only 2 rounds in FM15.

I forgot to mention that when I said rounds 3 and 4, I meant the supplemental draft 1 and 2. My game and real life gets mixed up sometimes :lol:

Archived