Passing 1??

I have always had an issue with youth intake on this game.

I really have never had a good youth product from my state of the art academy......!!!

Look at this guy?

Passing 1.....??? really, REALLY.... an Arsenal youth player with passing 1? It just would never happen.

I don't think I have ever seen a good prospect, I clearly have bought from other clubs, but for Arsenal to not generate its own (my club I'm managing) total rubbish.

Anyone have same or know why this happens?

I have always had an issue with youth intake on this game.

I really have never had a good youth product from my state of the art academy......!!!

Look at this guy?

Passing 1.....??? really, REALLY.... an Arsenal youth player with passing 1? It just would never happen.

I don't think I have ever seen a good prospect, I clearly have bought from other clubs, but for Arsenal to not generate its own (my club I'm managing) total rubbish.

Anyone have same or know why this happens?

State of the art academies do not guarantee you good youths. Or even average ones. That's the first thing you need to understand. Think of it like a lottery - by improving your facilities, all you've done is bought more tickets. You'll probably still lose.

As for this particular player (assume you meant to provide a screenshot), I'm not really sure what's the issue given you've only mentioned one single attribute. And why shouldn't he have 1 for passing? Because Arsenal can pass a ball, every single player who comes through their academy should be coded to have much higher?

It's an interesting point - in the future could we see youth players at certain clubs needing to meet certain attributes to make the intake? For example all players in a Barca intake have first touch and passing at 8-10 etc.

Also depends on position. If the player is a midfielder, a passing attribute of 1 shouldn't see him getting through into an intake at a club like Arsenal who groom their youngsters to play quick passing football.

Got to agree with OP here.

For a player with a stat of 1 to come through a reputable club like Arsenal would not be entertained. Ok I realise FM is not real life but still, 1?

Blimey, even my passing stat would be more than 1 and I've never played football, even at amatuer level.

State of the art academies do not guarantee you good youths. Or even average ones. That's the first thing you need to understand. Think of it like a lottery - by improving your facilities, all you've done is bought more tickets. You'll probably still lose.

As for this particular player (assume you meant to provide a screenshot), I'm not really sure what's the issue given you've only mentioned one single attribute. And why shouldn't he have 1 for passing? Because Arsenal can pass a ball, every single player who comes through their academy should be coded to have much higher?

IMO that is big problem in this game...it' shouldn't be lottery. It is not luck that clubs like Barca, Dinamo Zagreb, Southampton etc. produce great players.

They get everything to highest level, facilities, coaches, scouts....

I also think that clubs like arsenal should not produce players with passing 1...he would be long gone from academy if he can't pass the ball....but, i don't see that a major problem in this game....

Got to agree with OP here.

For a player with a stat of 1 to come through a reputable club like Arsenal would not be entertained. Ok I realise FM is not real life but still, 1?

Blimey, even my passing stat would be more than 1 and I've never played football, even at amatuer level.

I doubt it would.

The attributes are used to judge professional footballers - meaning (if memory serves me correctly) that a passing stat of 1 is still better than those types of players. It still also means its very much functional, a passing of 1 doesn't mean that all his passes are going to go astray but simply more difficult passes have less chance of success. Considering the age the youngsters come through at, it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect with focused training you could see a significant increase in the passing stat and then teach the player the short and simple PPM and in a role that doesn't do anything too spectacular you'd still be capable (depending on potential) of having a very usable midfielder, even for a team like Arsenal.

There's been a need for 'manager set youth' for a while.

Broad-stroke options of course, where you select the type of players or skill set that we are looking for. Maybe we only allow technical players to join our youth (U18) teams.

This would allow FM to mirror reality and have any club outside of the top six in England reject everyone on the grounds of being 'too short', and encourage them to recruit strong, physical lads who aren't good footballers, but are decent athletes.

There should be a national method of production and a club level. The club level one is the one that we have influence and control over. I'd like to feel like Sir Alex when it came to re-structuring the squad. It would also make the Head of Youth more useful, if they're technical or tactical staff members then they could radically change the dynamics of the youth set up resulting in 'boom' periods of 'golden generations'. Stuff like that would go a long way.

There's been a need for 'manager set youth' for a while.

Broad-stroke options of course, where you select the type of players or skill set that we are looking for. Maybe we only allow technical players to join our youth (U18) teams.

This would allow FM to mirror reality and have any club outside of the top six in England reject everyone on the grounds of being 'too short', and encourage them to recruit strong, physical lads who aren't good footballers, but are decent athletes.

There should be a national method of production and a club level. The club level one is the one that we have influence and control over. I'd like to feel like Sir Alex when it came to re-structuring the squad. It would also make the Head of Youth more useful, if they're technical or tactical staff members then they could radically change the dynamics of the youth set up resulting in 'boom' periods of 'golden generations'. Stuff like that would go a long way.

But is that really realistic? You get, say, 20 players in each intake. You then make the choices that most clubs would make as to who you bring from your academy into the squad. Isn't that pretty much what you're proposing? If you're saying you should have a set framework as to what kinds of players you want to get out of your intake, where's the random chance in that?

Any given year, there's a finite number of youths that come in, in real life and in FM, and you have no control in either as to how good they are at something.

The only way I could see your way working is if you requested what kind of player you wanted, and then you stood the chance of having no players come in one year because none fitted. As soon as you start generating a fixed number of players based on the manager's wishes...that just seems like exploit city to me.

The group you get to pick from have still been "spotted" by your HOYD or whoever is responsible for bringing in the intake, so it's not a stretch to suggest they have already been scouted in some capacity and those who don't fit the requirements of the club aren't brought back to the manager.

I think it's an area of massive potential, but of course you would have to risk a smaller intake if you set conditions on what sort of player came in. If you don't set any conditions, the pool is bigger but you may get a lot of junk.

You can set parameters for scouting assignments (and thus risk not getting good results) so I don't see why the same theory couldn't apply to youth intakes.

The group you get to pick from have still been "spotted" by your HOYD or whoever is responsible for bringing in the intake, .

exactly. For a large club like Arsenal the 20 players you end up with as your intake should be the cream of the crop that your scouts and network have been nurturing for years, and I don't think it's credible for any outfield 15 year old that Arsenal bring through to have passing of 1, unless it's a defender or they are phenomenal in some other areas.

I see those very low attributes on a lot of relatively high PA regens. Balanced regens seem incredibly difficult to find. Most of them have an extreme weakness of some sort, often at odds with their position (ex. very low aggression for a target man or extremely low pace for a winger).

Archived