Gundo's FM08 Small club from a small nation European adventure challenge

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cooks A little update on trying to get Mr Burda to appear by only loading Norway's leagues > Sometimes his club don't even appear? But I have had them appear and one or two unknown active players, so there is hope yet. I give it a couple me goes and see if he is their...

Originally posted by Gundo:

cooks A little update on trying to get Mr Burda to appear by only loading Norway's leagues > Sometimes his club don't even appear? But I have had them appear and one or two unknown active players, so there is hope yet. I give it a couple me goes and see if he is their...

Cheers Gundo, i've done the same! I've even loaded all players from Sweden, he didn't appear even then icon_confused.gif

It would be great to be able to sign him again in this challenge, but if i can't i'll still be giving it a go icon_biggrin.gif

Would you have an objection if i loaded the leagues in Sweden and marked them unplayable. Then i would just monitor his progress from afar without signing him. Just a thought icon_rolleyes.gificon_wink.gif

Originally posted by cookie15:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gundo:

Cheers Gundo, i've done the same! I've even loaded all players from Sweden, he didn't appear even then icon_confused.gif

It would be great to be able to sign him again in this challenge, but if i can't i'll still be giving it a go icon_biggrin.gif

Would you have an objection if i loaded the leagues in Sweden and marked them unplayable. Then i would just monitor his progress from afar without signing him. Just a thought icon_rolleyes.gificon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think Jimbo asked that before he started this challenge last season because he wanted 'Not So Super Kyle' in his game and I think what I said was we can't go moving the goalposts with regards to the challenge guidelines unfortunately. icon_frown.gif

I'm going to keep trying until the patch is out and see if I can get him to appear whilst only loading the Norwegian leagues up. icon14.gif

Anyway it'd be pretty cool if we could discover Norway's equivalent to Patrik Burda, heh... icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cookie15:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gundo:

Would you have an objection if i loaded the leagues in Sweden and marked them unplayable. Then i would just monitor his progress from afar without signing him. Just a thought icon_rolleyes.gificon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think Jimbo asked that before he started this challenge last season because he wanted 'Not So Super Kyle' in his game and I think what I said was we can't go moving the goalposts with regards to the challenge guidelines unfortunately. icon_frown.gif

I'm going to keep trying until the patch is out and see if I can get him to appear whilst only loading the Norwegian leagues up. icon14.gif

Anyway it'd be pretty cool if we could discover Norway's equivalent to Patrik Burda, heh... icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree about moving the goal posts icon14.gif

I will be loading a few times to see if i can get him to appear, but what the hack there's gotta be a Norwegian version somewhere. icon_cool.gif

I finally thought I'd officially start the challenge off, done a few in Slovenia and Iceland in 07 without holidaying before. So I picked my random number and off to Hungary I went, a year later I decided to easy team, 1 was clearly superior to the other 5 promoted teams.

I present Békéscsaba Elöre FC with its plush 16000 capacity stadium that shouldn't need upgrading for a very long time. According to wiki the club has changed its name from what FM calls it and they played in Europe back in '95 before falling down the divisions. The teams a bit rubbish but at least the infrastructure is here.

I present Békéscsaba Elöre FC with its plush 16000 capacity stadium that shouldn't need upgrading for a very long time. According to wiki the club has changed its name from what FM calls it and they played in Europe back in '95 before falling down the divisions. The teams a bit rubbish but at least the infrastructure is here.

Good luck in Hungary icon14.gif Békéscsaba is one of the biggest clubs of Southern Hungary. 'The Violets' were always a strong second league team, and went up to the first tier in the 80s. They also won a Hungarian Cup. Their 'golden era' was the early/mid-90s when they had a really good team, coached by local hero József Pásztor.

They had an exciting race with Vác for the 93/94 title, but they ran out of steam and missed out on the title. Those days they were playing a really quick and attractive football icon14.gif

Official website is http://www.1912elore.hu/

Originally posted by Quacky:

I finally thought I'd officially start the challenge off, done a few in Slovenia and Iceland in 07 without holidaying before. So I picked my random number and off to Hungary I went, a year later I decided to easy team, 1 was clearly superior to the other 5 promoted teams.

You just need to post a screenie of your profile. icon_smile.gif

NK Slovan

9 games (one full round) to go, and we started the spring just how I hoped for: 7 points in 3 games. That puts us into second place behind runaway leaders Mura, and at the moment I'm a bit in front of the chasing pack.

Next month will be key. We play against Mura and 4th placed Triglav, and 3 of our 4 matches will be away.

Meldert, Belgium - June 2nd 2010

Mid-season table

End of season

I was quite gutted that we didn't manage to finish top. We were without a doubt the strongest team in the league - most goals scored, least conceded - and should have won it by a respectable margin.

With 77 goals scored in 30 matches, I can hardly complain about my strikers. But we had way too many matches where we just needed far too many chances to score. One match we'd score seven without breaking a sweat, the next the ball just didn't want to go in. If the goals had been spread out a bit more, we'd be ten points clear.

But such is football. And so we had to try to salvage the promotion we deserved through the playoffs.

I wasn't very confident about our chances. Three playoff rounds to get through, two legs each - and consistency hadn't been our strong point. It only had to go wrong once.

We scraped through the quarters, 3-3 agg against KV Kortrijk, through on away goals. Nerve-wracking up to the last second, while we should have scored a few more and won convincingly.

The semis were more like it, with an 8-1 aggregate win against Third Div. B team Turnhout.

Second Div. team Tournai was the final hurdle. We played very well in the first leg, away, but shortly before full time had only managed to convert one of our many chances.

And then came the glory moment of old legend Gilles De Bilde. The old Belgian international hadn't been very useful in his two seasons at Meldert. Nine sub appearances last season, none yet this season. No goals, no assists.

But due to an injury to my star striker, fatigue for my only decent sub, and a bit of nostalgia, I put Gilles on the bench, one week before his 39th birthday, one month before retirement. With pace 1 and stamina 3, I didn't expect much of him. Just wanted to give him a final ten minutes of playing time.

And De Bilde ended his career in style, scoring a nice header in the 90th minute, to put us 0-2 up to go into the second leg. It turned out to be a vital goal, as we lost the home leg 1-2, just enough to earn us promotion to the Second Division.

I'll be offering Gilles De Bilde a staff role as a reward. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to want a coaching role, despite some great attributes, so a physio he'll be.

Meldert squad

Seven of the lads were selected in the Third Div. A Team of the Year, which illustrates the fine overall strength of the squad. Quite pleased with pretty much every of the first eleven players.

Obviously several of the key players - especially in midfield - are loan players, so the squad will need some strengthening to survive in a higher league. I do hope to get a few quality players on loan again next season though, and successfully avoid relegation.

Our finances are still well under control. Slowly but surely the bank balance has crept up to 390k euro. The board didn't feel that was enough to invest in youth or training facilities yet though, but all in due time, I suppose.

On schedule so far. Second Division, here we come.

I was away from my FM computer for a while, but I managed to rack up a few seasons before going on a holiday of sorts. The only problem is that details are kind of sketchy, so the updates will be rather brief...

Magni, Icelandic First Division 2010

An up and down season. First we drew some, then we won some, which made me think we might have a chance for promotion. Then, however, we lost a whole lot and in the end had to settle for mid-table. Still, it was a significant improvement from previous seasons' relegation battles.

League table

Best players:

Björn Sverrisson - an excellent season from the ex-FH youngster, with 8 goals and 6 assist he was one of the primary reasons for our decent league position.

Henrik Bødker - having a decent keeper between the sticks makes a lot of difference.

Björgvin Freyr Vilhjálmsson - another decent season from the defensive midfielder, cut short by a nasty injury.

Magni, Icelandic First Division 2011

A fairly non-descript season. We were stuck in lower midtable all year, far off the promotion spots, but never really threatened by relegation.

League Table

Best players:

Pape Faye - 7 assists from the half-Senegalese striker was a decent contribution.

Marino Vilhjálmsson - a very promising season by the youngster, who was our top scorer

Magni, Icelandic First Division 2012

It was looking really promising at one point, but a grand total of one win from the final 9 matches meant that we finished mid-table again. Bummer.

League table

Best players:

Björn Sverrisson - after a poor 2011 season, this was much more like it from the attacking midfielder.

Ibra Jagne - the first full international at Magni, the Gambian striker was our top scorer this season.

Brynjar Benediktsson - another ex-FH trainee with a decent contribution.

Magni, Icelandic First Division 2013

This time we started poorly and I was really worried that if we hit our usual late season form again, then relegation might be a very real possibility. Yet again however we showed our Jekyll&Hyde nature, and after a superb last third we very narrowly missed out on promotion.

League Table

Best player:

Jóhannes Þrastarson - this Magni youth product didn't really look anything special, but his superb form in the reserves prompted me to give him a chance in the final third of the season, and he took it well.

Magni, Icelandic First Division 2014

After a good last season I was feeling cautiously optimistic, but the caution proved unnecessary. We simply steamrollered our way through the division, romping to first place and promotion with a healthy margin and an obscene amount of goals.

League table

Best players:

Jóhannes Þrastarson - a simply amazing season from the youngster, 25 goals in 23 games was an outstanding contribution and he quite deservedly won the award for the best player in the division.

Ólafur Vilhjálmsson - sloppy job from the facegen, but it didn't stop Ólafur from bagging 10 goals and 6 assists in 12 game, unfortunately he decided to leave for greener pastures at the end of the season.

Marino Vilhjálmsson - our third striker also helped himself to a fair share of goals.

Kjartan Agust Breiðdal - top defender this year, like Ólafur though he refused to sign a new contract.

Sigurður Brynjarsson - the other half of our central defensive partnership, a youth Iceland international and decent prospect for the future.

And so, 2015 and the Premier Division await. Hopefully I will be able to update a bit more regularly from now on icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

Ive seen the posts about the problems getting Burda in the game.

I don't understand icon_confused.gif.

Is it because his team is only selected when a range of nations are selected or is it linked to database size or something else?

Hello Jimbo. There is no problem if you load the Swedish leagues up, he'd be their for the the non-league Swedish club Höllviken.

The thing is... Me and cookie15 wish to start this challenge in Norway as we did last season (as it was an immense save game, probably my best ever!) , when the Patch arrives. In FM07 there was a decent chance of you being able to get Burda in your game loading up the Norwegian leagues only. However in FM08 SI have changed the amount of non-league players being loaded, you still get some but not as many as FM07 and certainly not as many from outside your playable nation. It's a shame really, I think it's a similar problem that you encountered trying to get 'Not So Super Kyle' in your N.Ireland game loading just N.Ireland. Maybe this might get tweaked in the Patch who nows.

I know you might say well why don't you just play in Sweden? Well I really don't want too tbh, my Great Grandfather was Norwegian and thus where my Norwegian second name came from, so i'm keen to manage in Norway. icon_cool.gif

CoachFlu I really enjoyed reading your report and an excellent report it was to. What happened with ex-Sheffield Wed striker Gilles De Bilde is the stuff of fairytales you just could'nt write it. icon14.gif

FC Molodechno 2010, Belarusian First League, Season 2.

Confidence

Finances - Pleased with this.

Club Information

Staff - Complete revamp of the backroom staff as the last group of staff were money grabbing b*astards icon_smile.gif.

Transfers In

Went into the season optimistic after the capture of, Ishref Magomedov, as you can see a pretty good striker for the league of this calibre. But after the first 6 games, in which he scored 6, got injured for 3 months which ruined his season, although to be fair to him did come back at the end of the season and still did well scoring 15 in 18 games, grabbing 10 MoM's on the way, a club record beating a lacklustre 3 beforehand.

But sadly this was not enough as we finished 3rd. One word, gutted.

But the team on the whole had a really good season and I felt like we deserved promotion but the sheer class of the two dominating teams shone through in the end.

Next season I will be hoping to challenge for promotion again but sadly with the loss of Ishref Magomedov who left the club for £160,000, as a club match his non-promotion release cause, which was a double blow in not getting promoted, but thats life I guess.

Meldert, Belgium - August 1st 2010

Shortly before the start of the third season, our first season in the Second Division. A month ago, nothing but positives - now, one big showstopping bug that may send this career down the drain.

I had nicely saved up close to 400k euro over two seasons. Then the board, in all their wisdom, decided to add 1000 seats to our stadium - a move I don't object to, were it not that this brought our bank balance to -2.6 million, and they are now shocked at my dreadful handling of finances.

I've seen this reported as a bug, so I assume this will get fixed in next week's patch. I saved the game before this happened, but since I had a bit of leeway on the confidence level (very pleased before this happened, satisfied now), I'll continue for now and see if I survive this debacle. If I do get the sack because of this in a few game months, I'll wait for the patch and continue with the savegame from the end of last season.

But who knows, maybe I'll survive this extra challenge. The board just made a bit of a cash injection, so I'm now "only" 2 mil in the red. Five more injections like that and I'm in the black again, heh.

This does mean that my wage budget is dreadfully low - exactly the same as last season, though I didn't use all of it then, so I did have a little bit to work with. Signed a few decent players, loaned a few others. At least we should make some money every month. Though filling a 2 mil hole will take a while.

On the bright side, I did manage to land Anderlecht as a parent club, and they sent me two players on loan who had rejected me a week earlier. Those may make the difference.

I'm not overly confident about the strength of my squad. But under the circumstances, it's not too bad. Hopefully it'll be enough to avoid relegation - if I last that long.

What do you guys think? I've bartered until Valur came back with This Offer for This Player

Now bear in mind he is probably one of the best defenders in the league...may also go onto full Icelandic international. It would be a wrench to lose him as he came through the youth system here but perhaps the money would come in helpful in the long run. Incidently this is my financial situation

All advice very welcome! KUTGW people. icon14.gif

How are you guys finding finances in general compared to FM07? In FM07 I found it far too easy to manage my clubs finances, just wondering if anyones noticed a difference?

Yes. The board did not kick my arse around because of the club balance in earlier FMs, now they do icon_biggrin.gif

How are you guys finding finances in general compared to FM07? In FM07 I found it far too easy to manage my clubs finances, just wondering if anyones noticed a difference?

I'd say there's still too much money around, and especially the transfer fees are inflated.

Good to hear you guys feel the same as me, money does seem to be thiner on the ground than 07 but sill too much.

As for inflated transfer fees hopefully it will be toned down in the patch... icon_smile.gif

Meldert, Belgium - December 20th 2010

Mid-season table

Or one match past mid-season, in fact, but close enough.

Obviously I'm quite happy with our league position. Didn't quite expect to be in 6th place at this stage.

To be fair, I feel we're slightly higher than our quality justifies. We had settled down around 8th-9th place, which is pretty much where I feel we belong, but a string against "easier" opponents saw us move up a few places. I don't mind, obviously, but I wouldn't be surprised if we drop a few places again and finish right around the middle of the table.

As opposed to last season, we've also been getting the points we deserved this time. Much less draws that we should've won easily, much more narrow wins where the score is a fair reflection of the match.

So everything's going well on the pitch. And things are improving off the pitch as well. It looks like I'll be surviving the silly financial situation.

We've been operating at a decent profit every month, and with the stadium expansion just finished that should only get better. And the board made a few more cash injections as well. We're still 370k in the red, and they're still quite annoyed with that, but the good performances on the pitch bumped them back up to "pleased" overall.

Krokum - Swedish 2nd division West Gotaland - 2009

After our close shave with relegation the previous season, I try my best to strengthen the squad. The problem is my scouts seem unwilling to find anyone decent, and those who look like they at least knwo the basic rules of football don't want to sign for me (maybe I'm setting my standards a bit to high, the level in Swedish LL is lower than I've ever seen.). Anyway, I sign three players including a very promising young goalkeeper.

The first few games of the season were worthless and I tought we were going to have another long and hard battle in front of us. But slowely my boys turned things around, and we started climbing to mid-table, helped by a 13 game long unbeaten run. The only problem was that we conceded to many last minute goals, so most of the run were 1-1 draws. We dominated most games, created a lot of chances but lacked the firepower in front of goal. Nonetheless, the leaders always remained within reach.

In august I loaned an argentinian striker who should be able to get some more goals in. 4 games before the end of the season 2nd place Norrby dropped out of the title race after some bad results and we climbed to second, 6 points behind leaders Arameiska.

The last 4 games:

4. We win, Arameiska draw. -4 points.

3. We win, Arameiska draw. -2 points

2. We win, Arameiska draw. For 8 minutes we were the virtual leader. -0 points, Arameiska leads on goal difference.

1. Last game of the season, we play away at 3rd place Norrby, Arameiska play at home against last place. We win our game 1-2 with a goal in the 90th minute, Arameiska win their game 3-2. Arameiska are the champions and are promoted, we remain where were are, due to a goal difference of 4.

All in all a fantastic season, too bad we gave away to many points in the dying minutes of the game. It was hard because it was that close in the end, but as I expected another relegation dogfight I am quite pleased. Another plus is that we had teh best defense in the league. If I can loan the argentinian striker for another season, we'll be firm favourites for the title next season.

final league table

emergo: I enjoyed reading the tales of the mighty Akropolis, if achieve 50 procent of what you did (I remember something about beating Barcelona at home?), I'll be a happy man. Yours and Jimbokov's Lisburn save are a great inspiration.

CoachFlu: Great work so far, with Lokeren, Westerlo and Zulte-Waregem (Normally first division mid-table teams) in second division it looks like a tough group.

freek_teek Good season and a huge improvement on last seasons position. I hope you can persuade that Argentinian striker to join you again. icon14.gif

Is that the real competition names you're using there? If so where did you get them from or how did you change them?

Originally posted by freek_teek:

CoachFlu: Great work so far, with Lokeren, Westerlo and Zulte-Waregem (Normally first division mid-table teams) in second division it looks like a tough group.

Yep, there are a few decent teams in Second. It's quite a tight affair at the top though, with those teams taking points from each other. Unfortunately I'm not in a position yet to take advantage of that.

What worries me more is the situation in First Division, where Anderlecht - my new parent club - is in last place.

Hopefully they can rectify that, otherwise a nice parent/feeder link will be disbanded, and it'll be tough to aim for the title next season.

What worries me more is the situation in First Division, where Anderlecht - my new parent club - is in last place.

Hopefully they can rectify that, otherwise a nice parent/feeder link will be disbanded, and it'll be tough to aim for the title next season.

I can see why that would be a problem for you, but as a KRC Genk-fan, I can only hope they don't . icon_biggrin.gif

Gundo: Do you mean the "Swedish second division WG" stuff ?. If so I don't think I've done anything to change them. Graphics come from FMGLive

Gundo: Do you mean the "Swedish second division WG" stuff ?. If so I don't think I've done anything to change them. Graphics come from FMGLive

Ok I see. I'm trying to get all the real competition names in my game and don't have clue how to do it? Thanks anyway.

Ok I see. I'm trying to get all the real competition names in my game and don't have clue how to do it? Thanks anyway.

You have mail. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's spot on freek_teek, it works a treat. icon_smile.gif Cheers. icon14.gif

emergo: I enjoyed reading the tales of the mighty Akropolis, if achieve 50 procent of what you did (I remember something about beating Barcelona at home?), I'll be a happy man. Yours and Jimbokov's Lisburn save are a great inspiration.

Oh, thanks icon_smile.gif I've had far too much time in my hands for that save due to a surgery icon_razz.gif

It was Real Madrid, but never mind (And boy, did they thrash me on the return leg. icon_frown.gif)

My best ever FM save so far.

End of season report

NK Slovan, Slovenian 2nd Div, 2010/11

Media prediction: 6th

Odds: maybe 24.00?

In: 12 for 9K, including 6 loans. My big DC starts his 3rd season for us on loan. Best signing is last year'sloanee ST, who came with a broken thigh then. We managed to sig him after his club released the guy, and fans were over the moon.

Out: 10 for 0K

The autumn was quite as good as I secretly hoped for: we were tough opponents to everyone and secured that we can be in the promotion playoff run in the spring. NK Mura took the league by storm, upsetting all bookies icon_biggrin.gif After the autumn they were already leading by so much that the promotion spot could've been awarded to them.

I signed an experienced AMC for the spring to bring in some more intelligence to the pitch. It looked like we'll be in the race for the 2nd spot with Triglav, Bonifika and Bela Krajina.

We were off to a good spring (2-1-0), but lost yet again to newly promoted Izola, lost at Mura, only drew with Triglav and finally went down to Bonifika. We fell down to 6th place as a consequence.

We found some form, but the first-choice keeper was injured, and his backup annoyed me with stupid goals conceded from 40 yard crosses. (Good GK attributes, but with a compoure of 4 and a positioning of 3 icon_rolleyes.gif he rather catches butterflies by the sidelines than catches balls icon_mad.gif)

Ended the season on a low, losing to relegated Aluminij and only drawing with also relegated Rudar.

Slovenian bookies must be rubbish: 7th tipped Mura won the league with an amazing record, while Aluminij (prediction: 3rd) and Rudar (prediction: 2nd) were both relegated icon_biggrin.gif

Triglav enters promotion playoff after a great spring (the firing of their manager worked a treat).

League table

Lesson learned from the season: I need 4-5 quality starters to be able to push for a promotion. We are certainly amongst the better sides, but lose key matches far too frequently and we are very far from the freshly relegated teams.

Magni, Icelandic Premier Division, 2015

As it turned out, Magni's first ever season in the top flight was also their centenary year. I was hoping that we wouldn't celebrate it with a spectacular relegation; on paper our squad looked strong enough to ensure survival.

Despite the chairman selling two of our best defenders, we were never really threatened by relegation. Magni ended up squarely in mid-table, finishing in 6th place. We played well against sides from the lower echelons of the table, but got spanked in every match against the top sides.

League table

Thanks to some very lucky draws, we also made it to the final of the Icelandic Cup, beating a string of lower league sides along the way. In the final match against Keflavik we managed to score a whopping 4 goals, but a shambolic performance from my goalkeeper meant we still lost the game 4:6 after extra time.

Best players:

Jóhannes Þrastarson - made the step up to the top flight with absolutely no problems, at 19 years of age is a huge prospect.

Brynjar Benediktsson and Marino Vilhjálmsson also had a decent season.

I've just noticed that all non-league Norwegian clubs have Reserve and Youth sides! This is a major thing because last season that's something a few of us struggled with. I've also decided what team I'm going to be when I start this aswel. All I need now is the Patch... icon_smile.gif

I've just noticed that all non-league Norwegian clubs have Reserve and Youth sides! This is a major thing because last season that's something a few of us struggled with. I've also decided what team I'm going to be when I start this aswel. All I need now is the Patch... icon_smile.gif

Go on then Gundo tell us who! icon_wink.gif

The patch is due early next week so i'm guessing you'll get cracking straight away. Well i will be in any case.....Skjetten here we come icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by cookie15:

Go on then Gundo tell us who! icon_wink.gif

The patch is due early next week so i'm guessing you'll get cracking straight away. Well i will be in any case.....Skjetten here we come icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm going with the Mighty... Randaberg IL as they where the closest to Stavanger that where getting promoted. icon_cool.gif

I knew you couldn't resist Skjetten. icon_biggrin.gif

endtime: Good first season in the prem, I only just survived in mine, it looks as though you were stronger. That forward (Prastarson) looks class. That's something I've lacked since I've started at Vidir. Im finding it very difficult to improve my squad. But anyway good luck in 2016. icon14.gif

emgergo: decent season, bet you're glad Mura have gone up - they walked the league by the looks of things.

Need this patch now just so that Gundo can actually join in! icon_wink.gif

Archived