Gundo's FM08 Small club from a small nation European adventure challenge

Transfers In for Skjetten 2014

Building on our narrow escape from relegation i really needed to strengthen my squad. The board managed to accept bids for both my DC's. Including a £350K bid for my Chilean International DC icon_mad.gif

Using the money gained, and a few contacts (well asking my players for suggestions) i bought in the following guys:

GK Cortes I actually managed to get this guy on a free and i reckon he's gonna develop into one hell of a keeper icon_wink.gif

DL Ninkovic A solid and consistent performer at this level. I'm hoping he'll bring some experience to the back.

DC Berg A current Norwegian U21 and highly sort after by a number of clubs. I beat them to his signature but did have to pay over the odds in my opinion, but i needed a DC.

ST Brovik Now this guy i'm hoping will bang them in up front for me. The only down side is that he isn't registered for the start of the season and will get limited game time.

Well here goes another attempt at the Norwegian Premiership.

Good luck Iacovone icon14.gif

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Gundo:

Only five games in Randabergs first ever season in the Norwegian top flight and already we are really struggling. It's going to be a long season if it carries on like this. icon_frown.gif

We disparately need the transfer window in order to strengthen our squad, two successive 4-0 defeats is kind of telling me we just don't have good enough defenders to deal with most of the forwards in the Tippeligaen. icon_frown.gif

I'm not a negative person but it's not looking good and I going fight in order to secure of Tippeligaen status, but it aint going to be easy.

Come on Gundo, don't be sooooo down. I agree it is tough, but it's not impossible.

My prediction is that Randaberg will finish in 12th and reach the play-off. icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by cookie15:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gundo:

Only five games in Randabergs first ever season in the Norwegian top flight and already we are really struggling. It's going to be a long season if it carries on like this. icon_frown.gif

We disparately need the transfer window in order to strengthen our squad, two successive 4-0 defeats is kind of telling me we just don't have good enough defenders to deal with most of the forwards in the Tippeligaen. icon_frown.gif

I'm not a negative person but it's not looking good and I going fight in order to secure of Tippeligaen status, but it aint going to be easy.

Come on Gundo, don't be sooooo down. I agree it is tough, but it's not impossible.

My prediction is that Randaberg will finish in 12th and reach the play-off. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah hopefully I can swing things back in our favour before it's too late.

Looks like you've strengthened your squad well, Berg looks promising and it's going to cost you abit for for the nations finest. icon_wink.gif

cookie Did Per Christian Myhre become any sort of a player in your game? He starts off a Sandnes in the 2nd div group 3.

Not really! He's spent most of his career in the second division. He was at Randaberg for two seasons and was then sold for £4K to Fyllingen. His stats aren't great and his best av rating was 6.85 whilst at Randaberg!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gundo:

cookie Did Per Christian Myhre become any sort of a player in your game? He starts off a Sandnes in the 2nd div group 3.

Not really! He's spent most of his career in the second division. He was at Randaberg for two seasons and was then sold for £4K to Fyllingen. His stats aren't great and his best av rating was 6.85 whilst at Randaberg! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's unfortunate. He is my favorite player currently, I signed him whilst we where in the Second division and he's developed in a great player. icon14.gif

Ok gentlemen, having achieved reasonable success with dafuge's challenge, I decided to start a new challenge with the patched version of the game as its about time really!

Being the sad little man I am I have read through the first 11 pages of this challenge to get a feel for it and try to pick where I'd like to manage, but everyone sells their own nations so well!

I've decided I don't really fancy Scandinavia just because it's been quite a popular choice already, but any help beyond that from anyone would be great!!

Thanks very much, I'm in this one for the long haul . .

Originally posted by saab693:

Ok gentlemen, having achieved reasonable success with dafuge's challenge, I decided to start a new challenge with the patched version of the game as its about time really!

Being the sad little man I am I have read through the first 11 pages of this challenge to get a feel for it and try to pick where I'd like to manage, but everyone sells their own nations so well!

I've decided I don't really fancy Scandinavia just because it's been quite a popular choice already, but any help beyond that from anyone would be great!!

Welcome aboard icon14.gif

What you mean you don't want to join the Nordic gods? icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by saab693:

Welcome aboard icon14.gif

What you mean you don't want to join the Nordic gods? icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha well I couldn't poss compare mate!

Nah I'd like to be a bit different that's all which is the beauty of this challenge, there's so much scope to it!!

Right cookie, where shall i manage? It's your choice (officially)!

Welcome. icon_smile.gif

Like you say each country will have it's 'promoters' each with good and bad points. If you don't fancy Scandinavian countries then I can't recommend you a nation, but I'd say the following as a little guider:

The lower the reputation in the country you choose it should be easier to win your domestic league and vice versa the higher the rep countries.

Also it will be much much harder to win the Champions League in one of the lower reputations countries and it should be easier to win it in one of the higher reputation nations.

All the above is just my opinion mind. icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by saab693:

Welcome. icon_smile.gif

Like you say each country will have it's 'promoters' each with good and bad points. If you don't fancy Scandinavian countries then I can't recommend you a nation, but I'd say the following as a little guider:

The lower the reputation in the country you choose it should be easier to win your domestic league and vice versa the higher the rep countries.

Also it will be much much harder to win the Champions League in one of the lower reputations countries and it should be easier to win it in one of the higher reputation nations.

All the above is just my opinion mind. icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah thanks for that Gundo, I'd never really put the league reputations into context like that. I think I'm going to choose a team with a reputation of 10, thereby getting a good league challenge and a chance of going all the way in the ECL.

Interestingly how far has anyone got with Iceland so far? Surely as a league, there are no spots for the champions league?

Originally posted by Quacky:

Every league gets at least 1 spot to champions league even if it is 1st qualifying round. Liechtenstein doesn't have a league so they have to go via Swiss league slots.

Ha that would be tough! Cheers mate

Originally posted by Quacky:

Every league gets at least 1 spot to champions league even if it is 1st qualifying round. Liechtenstein doesn't have a league so they have to go via Swiss league slots.

I did an experiment on FM07 where I made a top class Liechtensteiner team in Switzerland and I'm sure when they won the league they only got UEFA cup entry because Liechtenstein is the only country with no CL place.

I've caved to Nordic pressure . . .

With a league rep of 10 and all the good reports I'm holidaying in Sweden . . .

Will report back later today

Well if you're gonna manage in Sweden you need to keep your eye out for a young ST by the name of Patrik Burda icon_wink.gif

He was an absolute legend last year icon14.gif

Welcome to the Scandanavian express icon_biggrin.gif

Does anyone know if max possible attendance can ever change? Baulmes village has a population of about 1000 and I'm drawing in that many people if I play against a Super League team. I might check the editor to see the precise maximum attendance value but I'm sure it can't be more than 1000. If the club becomes really successful is it possible for this maximum value to increase in the game?

A tip for if you`re gonna manage in Sweden; try to get Hammarby as parent team. They have a bulky second team that plays in division 2.They can really help you get promoted!

It`s august 2011 in my game and i still have trouble with printing screensicon_mad.gif

Try pressing Alt as well as Print Screen, that always works for me when Print Screen alone won't.

Also I would agree Hammarby TFF (the reserve team) have loads of very high quality players that don't mind coming to you on loan if they're going to be playing in Division 2 anyway. I played as Eskilstuna City on FM07 and I found that although it's better to get them as a parent team (sadly my board wouldn't budge), they do offer players on loan to all clubs in their regional group of the 2nd Division. Good luck!

2 great Hammarby players who always want to join you are defender Fadi Malke and midfielder/striker Tom Noden. Malke is playing champions league football with Hammarby in 2010 and Noden was my topscorer in the second division, first division south and elite first division.

Walhain -Belgian 3rd div B - 08/09

8 games left of the season and the Walhain heroes just made the Walhain history books. 13 games in a row without defeat. This has moved us into 2nd place sofar.

Seraing is 3 points clear at the top with a better gd.

C'mon Walhain!! icon14.gif

Originally posted by Sytse:

I`m sure you`ll keep Randaberg in the league, Gundo! What kinda tactic are you using with them? 4-3-3 was almost unbeatable when i managed in Norway.

I'm playing my own variation of 4-4-2, which in truth turns into more of a diamond formation in midfield. I think one of the reasons why I've been struggling is that my defenders just aren't good enough anymore, where as in the lower leagues they could handle most situations, in the Prem they just can't deal with the pace and power.

I'll be busy in the transfer market when the window re-opens lets put it that way. icon_rolleyes.gif

FC Baulmes - Swiss Challenge League - 08/09 Season

The season started slowly. Our first game was a 4-0 away thrashing of fellow promotees Seefeld Zürich, but after that we fizzled out into inconsistency for the first half of the season, the low point being 3 home defeats in a row including a 4-0 loss at home to La Chaux de Fonds.

With some tactical changes we got to the winter break undefeated mainly with narrow 1-0 wins, however we did manage a 5-0 destruction of Yverdon... while I was serving a touchline ban!

Loanee reinforcements after the winter break bolstered our squad and we went on a run of 13 games without losing and 5 games without conceding. By the end of the season we were riding high in the table, but our early poor form meant that we were never going to challenge Delémont or Neuchâtel for the playoff spot, but overall a highly successful first season and hopefully we will be able to carry our form into next term!

Table

Top Scorer: Charles-André Doudin - 27 in all competitions

Originally posted by mr susan:

The season started slowly. Our first game was a 4-0 away thrashing of fellow promotees Seefeld Zürich, but after that we fizzled out into inconsistency for the first half of the season, the low point being 3 home defeats in a row including a 4-0 loss at home to La Chaux de Fonds.

With some tactical changes we got to the winter break undefeated mainly with narrow 1-0 wins, however we did manage a 5-0 destruction of Yverdon... while I was serving a touchline ban!

Loanee reinforcements after the winter break bolstered our squad and we went on a run of 13 games without losing and 5 games without conceding. By the end of the season we were riding high in the table, but our early poor form meant that we were never going to challenge Delémont or Neuchâtel for the playoff spot, but overall a highly successful first season and hopefully we will be able to carry our form into next term!

Table

5th is a respectable position, well done.

quote:

Table

good work with finishing 5th in your first season. I think you can finish around the same spot next season but don`t get promoted immediatley; the difference between the challenge league and the super league is very large.

Sytse - I know, it's scary actually how big of a gulf it can be. All of the encounters I've had with Super League sides up to now have been 2-0 or 3-0 defeats except a lucky result against Thun when we beat them 3-1 in a home friendly. We must have bribed the ref or something that day, no wonder our finances took such a tumble in the winter break!

Plus it comes with £600,000 prize money, so I'll actually have a transfer budget next season icon_biggrin.gif

yeah, the prize money is ridiculous icon_biggrin.gif. got £150,000 for finishing 14th in my first season, was not expecting that at all, very nice surprise.

unlike the Swiss Cup, got £700 for winning my first round match.

One of my first games in fm 2008 was with Fc Wohlen. After 2 seasons i got promoted to the super league. Well, let`s just say i got the axe after 7 league games. So i get angry and get promoted with Chiasso in 1 season. At the end of Chiasso`s first super league season i still had the job but only 9 points icon_frown.gif Since then i have a Swissphobia.

not actually faced a super league team yet, not organised friendlies with them and until this season we always lost in the first round of the cup to non-league teams icon_rolleyes.gif.

got one now as have managed to get my way to the 3rd round and have Sion up next, curious to see how much they will thrash us by.

Originally posted by Sytse:

One of my first games in fm 2008 was with Fc Wohlen. After 2 seasons i got promoted to the super league. Well, let`s just say i got the axe after 7 league games. So i get angry and get promoted with Chiasso in 1 season. At the end of Chiasso`s first super league season i still had the job but only 9 points icon_frown.gif Since then i have a Swissphobia.

yikes, that just fills me with confidence icon_biggrin.gif. but hopefully by the time i do get up in few years time i will have a bit of money to buy some class, nothing in my team at the moment is remotely near SL class (hence why we are in the bottom half of the Challenge League!)

Originally posted by ghostwriter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mr susan:

Plus it comes with £600,000 prize money, so I'll actually have a transfer budget next season icon_biggrin.gif

yeah, the prize money is ridiculous icon_biggrin.gif. got £150,000 for finishing 14th in my first season, was not expecting that at all, very nice surprise.

unlike the Swiss Cup, got £700 for winning my first round match. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That prize money is insane! We got given £200k for finishing 4th in the top flight in Russia last season!

Ghostwriter- As one can notice in real life, teams promoted to the superleague almost always get relegated in their first season. My Fc Wohlen and my Chiasso experienced that. i think the only way to survive is to just get rich enough while in cl to buy 5 sl level players when you get promoted

cookie - thanks, (group stage draw has been made, see below). I've decided to give Horvat a second chance here, fingers crossed! Also, Cortes looks like he could be a great purchase icon14.gif

Gundo - we know you can keep Randaberg up. And if you can't Ringstad will. And if he can't Myhre can. And if he can't...you get the picture!

Slavonija Uefa Cup Group Stage

(in order of seeds)

Besiktas (h)

West Ham (a)

Nurnberg (h)

Slavonija

Trnava (a) icon_confused.gif - who are they?!

Well a trip back to London beckons. Most of Croatia will be hoping for a repeat of some of the madness seen last time Slavonija visited the English capital.

I have Young Boys as a parent so I suppose in the event of promotion I could get loans. Promotion could be a good thing though, even if we were to come straight back down it would do wonders for our bank balance and reputation.

apart from the fact that as you would be in the same division as Young Boys I think that the link would be stopped.

the saving grace with the top flight is that there is only one certain relegation. the problem is that there are only 10 clubs in the division; 9 of whom will probably have been there several years already.

Originally posted by ghostwriter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mr susan:

I have Young Boys as a parent so I suppose in the event of promotion I could get loans. Promotion could be a good thing though, even if we were to come straight back down it would do wonders for our bank balance and reputation.

apart from the fact that as you would be in the same division as Young Boys I think that the link would be stopped.

the saving grace with the top flight is that there is only one certain relegation. the problem is that there are only 10 clubs in the division; 9 of whom will probably have been there several years already. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Didn't think of that, it probably would. Doesn't mean that they wouldn't accept loan offers though or renewals. I think if we were to be promoted within the next couple of seasons then it would be through nicking the playoff spot and getting a lucky break over two legs against the 9th placed Super League team, in which case there would be another new team to pace ourselves against.

In all honesty I can't see my current squad repeating the feat of 5th place again. It has been difficult to strengthen and 3/5 loanees no longer want to know, including Doudin. Unfortunately my stingy board have decided that despite a £500,000 profit from last season we can't afford a transfer budget. I managed to renew 2 loans however and my goalie from last season, Pascal Werro (another top player) was released by Young Boys and was happy to come back to Baulmes.

I'm predicting mid-table this season.

there are only 10 clubs but you`ll have to be better than one of those. And when you`re the only one with cl level players it will be a tough job. it would be of great help if you have a foreign parentclub. Their reserve team will want to join you and they`re almost always better than 30% of the sl league players.

Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

Gundo. I see Myhre started to find the net icon14.gif.

Well he has now. icon_biggrin.gif Upon me moving him into an attacking centre mid position he bags a hattrick! icon14.gif One of those came from a corner when the ball was played out to edge of the are wher he was lurking and he promptly curled one in from distance. icon_smile.gif As seen in the Odd Grenland screenie in my above post.

Originally posted by iacovone:

Gundo - we know you can keep Randaberg up. And if you can't Ringstad will. And if he can't Myhre can. And if he can't...you get the picture!

Who was I kidding! With Ringstad and Myhre I'm far too good to go down. icon_biggrin.gif Come on boys you can keep us up. icon14.gif

*Notice I'm of a more positive mind of an evening. icon_biggrin.gif

After some frantic strengthening I've managed to pull together a squad that looks capable of finishing in the top 10:

In:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Player Club Fee

Dusko Ostojic Buochs Free

Pascal Werro Young Boys Free

Kader Mekhraf Gossau £10k

Karl-Heinz Kruse Young Boys Loan

Erhan Kavak Young Boys Loan Renewal

Ugor Ngongo Young Boys Loan Renewal

</pre>

I know I said Ngongo was poor, but we don't really have much choice.

Out:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Player Club Fee

Njohole Renatus N/A Released

Dario Drago N/A Released

François Marqué N/A Released

Asmir Zeneli N/A Released

Patrioti Gashi N/A Released

Nicolas Weber N/A Released</pre>

I'll be sending several more to feeder club Signal on loan.

Archived