Oldest Player

A few versions back, I signed a player who was well into his fifties. Frustratingly, I can't now find the thread or screenshot I posted about him at the time.

Was it in the Singaporean League. I remember there being a guy with a German name who was ancient?

I generally only sign under-26 players but I do like to sign occasionally the oldest striker I can find in the player search and bring him on in the last few minutes of a few games. I had a 40 year old non-league journeyman I signed for my Fiorentina team in Serie A and at the end of the season he had 0 starts, 18 sub appearances and 1 goal. I felt happy for giving him one shot at the big time.

There are 3x 41yo's in my 2040 FM14 save at the moment. All 3 are due to retire and all 3 are outfield players.

Jesus Toledo (USA) (Leader) is a DM who started at New York before moving to Metalist and then on to FC Bayern, (where he spent 16 seasons) and then finished his career back in (USA) with San Jose and then FC Dallas. He has made 678 league appearances.

Romano Cucciari (ITA) (F.Pro) is a SC who has played for 9 Italian non-league clubs. He has made 857 league appearances but has only scored 130 career league goals.

You become an endangered species in my squad once you hit 30. You can never tell when somebody will rapidly decline once they hit their 30's in this game. Which for me is a bit ridiculous, but hey-ho. Oldest player I've seen in my current save is 45.

In FM 14 I was managing Latina in Serie B and signed a player called Evans Soligo. He played for me as a first team regular into his 40s (pretty much every game) and the only reason I released him was because I got promoted and knew he wouldn't be up to the job in Serie A. He was one player I could really depend on, which made me choose him ahead of seemingly better younger players.

I still get a bit misty eyed thinking back to CM 01/02 (I think) when any player you shortlisted just wouldn't retire. I distinctly remember former Arsenal / Everton etc midfielder Kevin Richardson still knocking around aged over 80 and making the odd appearance. Also had Ronaldo (Brazilian one) as my assistant manager aged over 100 having shortlisted him during his playing days and then giving him a backroom job. Happy days - don't know if the ancient forum threads about this are still around somewhere, I remember posting up screenshots that took an eternity to upload as I didn't have broadband.

I still get a bit misty eyed thinking back to CM 01/02 (I think) when any player you shortlisted just wouldn't retire. I distinctly remember former Arsenal / Everton etc midfielder Kevin Richardson still knocking around aged over 80 and making the odd appearance. Also had Ronaldo (Brazilian one) as my assistant manager aged over 100 having shortlisted him during his playing days and then giving him a backroom job. Happy days - don't know if the ancient forum threads about this are still around somewhere, I remember posting up screenshots that took an eternity to upload as I didn't have broadband.

I didn't know that. That's hilarious!

Quite disappointed that Van Persie has just retired at 35 in my save as in my first season with Tottenham because he scored over 30 goals and provided 15-20 assists. Had him in a position where a lot of the legwork around him was done by other positions so he just needed to finish, which he did very well.

The only player with the similar stats and awareness in the box I could find was Falcao, so he's been my summer signing at 33 to takeover - if he's more willing to stick around and lucky with injuries regardless of pace he should still be scoring regularly for the next 4/5 years.

Quite disappointed that Van Persie has just retired at 35 in my save as in my first season with Tottenham because he scored over 30 goals and provided 15-20 assists. Had him in a position where a lot of the legwork around him was done by other positions so he just needed to finish, which he did very well.

The only player with the similar stats and awareness in the box I could find was Falcao, so he's been my summer signing at 33 to takeover - if he's more willing to stick around and lucky with injuries regardless of pace he should still be scoring regularly for the next 4/5 years.

RVP hasn't got the best natural fitness so would usually get worse as the years go on.

Archived