Is there ever any point raising expectations?

Since I'm storming League 2 having been asked merely to keep us in it, the board want to have contract talks and maybe think about raising the expectations for the season.

Is there ever any point doing this? If I leave them where they are and get promoted, I look even better, and if I raise them and then lose form, I look worse than I would have. Does raising them give me any benefit whatsoever in the game?

Only when it allows you to increase your salary or transfer budget, or you think you can negotiate a club facilities upgrade out of it (which hardly ever happens.) Otherwise, I'd never raise their hopes/expectations.

I only take the option to increase expecations if the extra budget funds will allow me to sign a player who I am certain will be a star for next season & beyond, if I have nothing to spend the money on then there is no real upside & as such no point in increasing expectations.

There probbaly should be a link to player morale/interactions that has them ask you why you feel the current squad cannot secure promotion if you decied to to go with the higer level of expectation.

Since I'm storming League 2 having been asked merely to keep us in it, the board want to have contract talks and maybe think about raising the expectations for the season.

Is there ever any point doing this? If I leave them where they are and get promoted, I look even better, and if I raise them and then lose form, I look worse than I would have. Does raising them give me any benefit whatsoever in the game?

Money ?

It has some affect on signing/retaining players, so I might consider doing it if I needed to keep hold of someone wavering on signing a contract.

However, it is usually easy enough to keep all your players anyway, so it would be very rare that I would do it.

It has some affect on signing/retaining players, so I might consider doing it if I needed to keep hold of someone wavering on signing a contract.

However, it is usually easy enough to keep all your players anyway, so it would be very rare that I would do it.

And sometimes (especially lower-levels), if players know money is tight at renewal time, they'll keep their salary demands reasonable and even take a cut (if no one's showing an interest in them). But of course, if an agent is involved, sometimes the choice is raise expectations so you can re-sign them or stand pat and let them go.

Archived