player insisting on unrealisticly low minimum fee release clause, very annoying

now admittedly i am sort of cheating as, having got bored of my game, I've gone back to a save game 4 years before, just before it all started to go wrong.

basically it went wrong when i sold Martin Odegaard for 80 million, then did a spurs and spent most of that on players i hadnt properly researched, and i ended up selling every player i bought, within a year, for about 20% of what they played for them. final straw was signing bryan christante for 26m as scouts said he was quality, as soon as he joined they changed their mind and even 35 year old scott brown was keeping him out of the team.

so getting back to the bone of contention, my save game was a couple of months before the fatal selling moment, I'm happy to sell odegaard for that sort of money, and I'm happy to keep him....ive already turned down 30m bids, but this time PSG aren't coming in with more, yet. so i want to give odegaard another contract as he's only got 12 months left so I'm in danger of losing him for nothing or much less....

so i go to offer him a new contract and he's happy to sign a new one, not even asking for much more cash, but he puts in a non negotiable 8.75m release fee.:mad:

and its greyed out so i cant even discuss it. id happily double his wage in return for taking it away, id make his agent the richest agent thats not called jorge mendez, but i cant because this clause is there.

and it cant be justified in any way. if he wanted to leave for cheap he'd not sign a new contract, or he'd insist on a clause of maybe 30m. he knows fine i cannot sign this contract because 1 day after, PSG and 10 other clubs will offer 8.75m and he'll be gone. so why would i do that when i can I'm sure flog him now for 30-50m.

I'm not sure what the issue is, the player clearly wants away & is looking to make sure that any contract favours him more than it does your club, if he signs it then he might stay at your club for another year but this way you'll get a fee after a year rather than him just walking on a Bosman.

The call that you have to make is whether it is worth agreeing to the contract that no doubt has a higher wage & more valuable bonuses, declining to agree with his terms but make him honour his current contract or if it's possible sell him now for more than the £8.75m release fee.

irl Lewandowski negotiated a 100% wage increase at Dortmund without actually extended the contract, if that deal wasn't done the rumour was that he'd have pressured Dortmund to sell him to Bayern on the cheap rather than staying at the club for the final year of his contract.

but no, it won't be a year, he would be bought within minutes of PSG finding out they only had to pay 8.75m, not the 30 million I've just rejected or the 80m i know they will be willing to pay.

it doesnt make any sense whatsoever, unless you are looking at it from schoolboy level tricks in that he hopes i might sign it and not notice.

if he wanted to go, he'd be asking to go.

if he wanted to go in the future, he'd be asking for a contract that i can justify signing, with a release clause thats not a quarter of what I've just turned down, or indeed going on a bosman in a year.

there's no conceivable situation whereby his agent might have thought it was worth his 10 mins typing up this contract.

and realistically there's no possibility that i couldn't just shout loudly that id pay much more if he got rid of this stupid clause.

id be perfectly happy to pay him more money, the lewandowski situation at least sort of made sense (i think dortmund should have sold him when bayern wanted to buy the year before) and id be happy to sell him, but him asking for a clause that will guarantee that instantly id have to sell him for 21m less than i can sell him for right now....

does not compute...

i said no, played a week or two, tried to offer a contract, same clause insisted on, walked away, few weeks later, he wants to talk to me, about a new contract. not about going to PSG....so i say 'come in laddie and lets talk'...and he still asks for the clause :mad: unfortunately none of the options given are slap the rude wee b**** across the ear and make him clean boots !

but no, it won't be a year, he would be bought within minutes of PSG finding out they only had to pay 8.75m, not the 30 million I've just rejected or the 80m i know they will be willing to pay.
From my experience players will not consider moving to another club for at least 6 months after signing a new full-time contract.

From my experience players will not considering moving to another club for at least 6 months after signing a new full-time contract.

I have signed plenty of players who have just signed new contracts you just have to pay even more then you would of before. IMO this is strange i think that the player should just say he wants to leave if that is what he wants not ask for a really small minimum fee release clause that the club would never agree to and then ask for a contract with it in again.

As you mentioned you have Scott Brown i assume you are Celtic. If this is the case then the release clause is pretty much in line with the top transfers from scotland. Bear in mind in reality Odegaard would never sign to play there..so unless you can negotiate a better contract at some point i would suggest cutting your losses and try and get as much as you can. If you are not playing in Scotland then it does seem a little suspect.In my experience agents tend to tailor release clauses to the league the player is in..if lionel messi played in the championship then his release clause would be no where near as high as it currently is.

I have signed plenty of players who have just signed new contracts you just have to pay even more then you would of before. IMO this is strange i think that the player should just say he wants to leave if that is what he wants not ask for a really small minimum fee release clause that the club would never agree to and then ask for a contract with it in again.
Asking for a new contract is strange & with the interest from PSG it doesn't sound at all right, as you say he should probably be looking to get a promise that if PSG make an offer the bid will be accepted.

As you mentioned you have Scott Brown i assume you are Celtic. If this is the case then the release clause is pretty much in line with the top transfers from scotland. Bear in mind in reality Odegaard would never sign to play there..so unless you can negotiate a better contract at some point i would suggest cutting your losses and try and get as much as you can. If you are not playing in Scotland then it does seem a little suspect.In my experience agents tend to tailor release clauses to the league the player is in..if lionel messi played in the championship then his release clause would be no where near as high as it currently is.

In my experience they do it based on there value at the time like for me jon flanagan wanted a £30 million release clause, timo werner wanted an £80 million release clause and gotoku sakai wanted £14 million release clause (managing in the german league) so i don't think it is mainly to do with the league i think the club rep and player value have a big effect on it too.

cheers vitri0l, maybe thats indeed the problem, the game is tying in a release clause consistent with the league, and indeed with the stated value of the player on his screen, which is only 4m. common sense would be to notice that i'd turned down a 30m bid and my asking price is 60m, but if the game ignores that then you can see how it thinks what its generating is sensible, when clearly its not.

bugger him and his agent, wouldnt even talk to me again....til the end of the transfer window when PSG come in offering 40 million...haggle haggle haggle....

18m up front, 28m over 12 months, 10.75m after 50 games, 10.75m after 10 internationals, and 12.25m after 10 goals, plus 30% of profit if he goes on from there....

so all is well, but it just makes the bickering even dafter.

so everyones happy and thankfully the game engine's stupidity hasn't got in the way..

oh wait...whats that? ah, my striker James Wilson at the door, very unhappy that we sold odegaard and it shows lack of ambition and why did we do it?

I've got:

he was on too high of a wage

he was very inconsistent

we are skint

where's "are you f***n mental, its 79 million quid!!! for a player who's got less than a year of his contract left!!!! we are rich!!! rich rich rich!!!"

Same thing happened to me, I signed him, made sure he played enough matches not to attract attention, we won the league, I renegotiated the contract made him a first teamer and removed the MRC, done.

bugger him and his agent, wouldnt even talk to me again....til the end of the transfer window when PSG come in offering 40 million...haggle haggle haggle....

18m up front, 28m over 12 months, 10.75m after 50 games, 10.75m after 10 internationals, and 12.25m after 10 goals, plus 30% of profit if he goes on from there....

so all is well, but it just makes the bickering even dafter.

so everyones happy and thankfully the game engine's stupidity hasn't got in the way..

oh wait...whats that? ah, my striker James Wilson at the door, very unhappy that we sold odegaard and it shows lack of ambition and why did we do it?

I've got:

he was on too high of a wage

he was very inconsistent

we are skint

where's "are you f***n mental, its 79 million quid!!! for a player who's got less than a year of his contract left!!!! we are rich!!! rich rich rich!!!"

I've raised a few examples like this & was under the impression that a few of that size stop any player questioning the decision to sell, if you still have a save shortly before the sale is agreed can you raise this in the bugs forum?

Thanks

Archived