Lack of progress, or going backwards on loan

Is it just me, or does there seem to be a big issue on FM with players going on loan and making absolute no progress ?

Players who play every match, perform well, yet come back and a lot of the time, their current ability, and potential ability, as shown by the assistant report with their star rating, has actually declined ?

There doesn't even seem to be rapid progression made on loans in even rare occassions. The amount of high potential players, ruined by the loan system is silly.

They cannot be played at full team level yet, as current ability is poor, so you send them to get games on loan, only to normally see them return, with lower ability and potential than before

How many players actually go on to become first team regulars at the club after going out on loan, especially if they are sent on loan to sides in a lower league? It's probably fewer than many people think.

Edit: You'll need to provide more detail on your situation;

What division are you in?

If you're based in England what's your youth setup rating?

How are your training facilities rate?

How old are the players when you loan them out?

What division are the loaning clubs in?

How long are you loaning them out for?

Do you check to see if the loaning club play a similar style to you?

Do you check the standard of facilities at the loaning club?

It's probably worth reaffirming that the star ratings are subjective & relative to the standard of players at your club, this means that your loan players could well be improving but you also have to factor in the improvement of players who you do not loan out.

Playing in the Premier League, with Spurs

Even players who go out on loan to Premier League clubs, always come back worse off.

I've taken screenshots of stats before and after and there is absolute no change

You'd think that in a years loan, at a decent Premier league club (i.e. I had one at West Ham and one at Southampton) that players would improve, they definitely should not be going backwards (in terms of potential ability)

I really just think it is something which is overlooked on this game, and players never seem to push on during a loan, which normally is the final link to being an established first teamer for high potential youngsters

If there has been zero progression then it could be that a player has reached their true PA limit & as they got older without improving the scouts/coaches reassessed their opinion on how far the player can develop, that's less likely if you're seeing it with a larger group of players so it's worth looking into.

These are tricky to test when looking at individual players & your examples could be worth getting logged with SI although you might not have enough save points for these players, if you continue at Spurs & agree more loan deals in the coming seasons can you put a few saves aside at various points & then raise this in the bugs forum of you see players coming back from a successful loan without any improvement?

Save you'll need are one when they go out on loan, one when they return from loan & a couple at reasonable intervals during their time on loan, this will then enable SI to see the ability before & after plus a couple of saves during can help them identify any issues with how the AI are using or training the players while they are on loan.

A bit of a faff but if you help with identifying an as before unseen issue with the loan system I'm sure the entire community will be appreciate the little extra time you spent getting the data together,

It's also possible your players aren't terribly ambitious or determined, whichever hidden attribute it is that helps determine how much a player grows. Just because there may be available growth--PA>CA--doesn't mean it's going to happen. Or at least any growth might not happen right now but could still happen in the future. Don't discount the possibility also that the players you kept at your team got better faster than players loaned out--in other words, compared to your squad it might appear they regressed but the raw CA number could still have increased.

Archived