There and Back Again... A Manager's Tale

Bilbo Baggins

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact that my goalkeeper is called Gudino has only really just sunk in.

'Ino' denotes smallness. He's six foot five. So... good little chap. The little chap bit is ironic, the good, judging by what I've seen thus far, isn't.

Gudinho, that's fab.

For anyone interested in the recent title winners in Mexico, here you go.

vfPjWLT.png

First of all, the opening stage winners. America and Santos have won the bulk of the titles.

uMuDyTU.png

And the closing stage winners. Again, America and Santos have been the most successful clubs.

b8Fu296.png

Predicted finish gives you a rough idea of the current strength of the various clubs.

Thankfully our physio team seem to have managed to perform a face transplant. I couldn't have handled seeing that all season!

51yijPT.png

Programme Notes

The season has begun very positively and we find ourselves at the top end of the league. Our new signings have all bedded in well and are meeting expectations. Tactically the team is still getting used to a new way of playing and there have been some teething problems, despite this I feel that we are very much on the right track. September will be a crucial month as we take on Chivas and Xolos on the road.

July

eAUItgc.png

We kicked the campaign off with two wins in the league. My team then started misbehaving by throwing away leads late on. The first occurrence was against Atlante, we dominated the game but conceded in extra time from a long throw in that went directly into the box. The ball basically bounced off their player, landed at his feet and he then slotted it home from close range. It was fluky but I felt that someone should have cleared it, there was time.

My second string managed a draw in the cup, a competition that I am not really concentrating on. Another late lead thrown away against Pachuca, this time it was a long ball that broke our defensive line. A speedy striker managed to round our keeper and equalise in the 86th minute.

August

3AniT5Y.png

A dull 0-0 in the cup. Away to Atlas was a big test on paper, we put in a solid performance and the match was an exciting one. Unfortunately we missed out on the win by conceding late on, yet again. A comfortable win over Santos Laguna and then the performance of the season thus far against Pumas, I was very pleased with our display. My second string sparked into life in the cup, getting a big 6-0 win. We recorded our first loss of the season away to Necaxa but finished the month with a solid 5-0 victory.

September Preview

EcCIfYo.png

League Table (top 15)

Ncq34rP.png

Mexican Cup

JBRiHVd.png

Transfers

jGKCGlU.png

cGxYylK.png

I still felt we needed another good ball playing CM so bought in Arancibia for 1.6 million from Universidad Catolica. He has performed very well so far, averaging 7.98 in 6 league appearances. To free up a foreign player spot I loaned out Kellyn Acosta to Utecht. They will pay 70% of his wages and there is a 2.5 million pound future fee clause.

I snapped up young Martinez on a free, he's rated on par with my current second choice but has the potential to be a future starter. Contract offers were on the table from LA Galaxy and Sporting KC but he opted to join us. I'm unable to register him as I have already got 5 foreign players but I'll try to loan him out somewhere until he gains Mexican citizenship. If nobody wants him he'll simply be my number one for the Mexican Cup.

For anyone interested in my tactic...

Ignore the selection but these are my player roles.

A fairly standard 4-2-3-1. Full backs are given the license to support, midfield features a ball winning water carrier and a CM who links defence to attack. My front four are all required to be both goal threats and creators, AF is the perfect role for Rocco.

I start fluid/attacking but will adjust based on opposition strength. My base instructions are higher tempo, close down more, get stuck in, use tighter marking and prevent GK distribution. I make quite a few instructional changes on the go during big matches but if my team is wiping the floor with the opposition I'll just spare their fitness by going to low tempo, retain possession/short passing.

Rocky came to me asking to be allowed to discuss terms with Man City (go away!) if they came in for him. Me, cautiously: 'You'll have to get on with your football as I'll be rejecting any offers...' Rocky: 'Okay, that's fair enough.' Nice to see. It wakes me up to the fact that he has an 11.5 million pound release clause, needless to say I'll be looking to get him onto a new contract with a much higher release clause asap.

Manchester United's search for the new Ferguson continues...

zvd1D8e.png

So, so dire. They've reached the point where they're rehiring managers they've sacked.

51yijPT.png

Programme Notes

We finished off the Apertura campaign well and booked our place in the playoffs. We put in a solid performance against America but came unstuck in the semi final. No title, unfortunately, but we at least qualify for the Copa Libertadores. Injuries hit hard towards the playoffs as four important players went down for extended spells. All in all we still met expectations and will look to push on and go one better in the Clausura.

September

4xXmacV.png

We had a friendly against Pumas to keep the squad fresh during the international break. The highlight of the month was our first half demolition of Chivas, we quickly raced to a 4-0 lead and never looked back. Two wins in the cup but we ended up finishing second in the group so didn't qualify for the next stage. We then failed to beat Xolos.

October

aDkwsoI.png

The calendar was kind in October as we only had to get through three matches. Unfortunately we couldn't beat Cruz Azul and were beaten by America despite putting in a reasonably good performance.

November

MxYWdeN.png

November was a solid month for the club, we rounded off the league campaign with two wins, including a dramatic late victory in the derby against Tigres, and then went on to win the 1st leg of the quarter final against America.

December

BTZZp7Z.png

December started well as we progressed through to the next round of the playoffs with a win in the second leg of the quarter final. My defence, unfortunately, decided that our semi final was the perfect time to hold a 'pretend we're non-league' day. We were obliterated. We bounced back to win the return leg but it wasn't enough.

I held a friendly against America during the break between the league stages and we then kicked off our Clausura campaign with a solid win after conceding two goals early on.

All in all a good Apertura as we qualify for the Copa Libertadores, would've been nice to win the title but my ambitions are very much continental. The league table shows that we were the second best team over the 17 games.

Transfers

InXtfK4.png

I decided to hit the market to improve our defence. Another signing from Universidad Catolica, we picked up Ignacio Sanchez for 1.2 million up front with 2 million after 50 league appearances, 2 million after 50 league goals and 1 million after 20 international appearances. Ajax came in for him as well so I decided to play it safe and offer slightly improved terms. In the end he chose us, which I'm happy about. I've had to sell my second choice left back to free up an international spot so I'll be hunting for a cheap Mexican backup. He's our best defender on paper, has perfect strength, looks an absolute beast in the air and is a very good tackler.

I've decided to call time on this save, I was getting a bit bored with it and wanted a new challenge. I did intend on going to Oxford but couldn't be bothered waiting years for the job to open up, so will be starting a new save/thread. It seems the journeyman thing just isn't for me, I want a long-term one-club challenge.

I've decided to call time on this save, I was getting a bit bored with it and wanted a new challenge. I did intend on going to Oxford but couldn't be bothered waiting years for the job to open up, so will be starting a new save/thread. It seems the journeyman thing just isn't for me, I want a long-term one-club challenge.

Sorry to hear that, this has been an interesting career to follow.

But i do understand it, i will do the same at some point for sure, but so far i am still enjoying my save.

Archived