Can anybody help me improve my tactic please?

Since the the last update i have struggled to play well with my tactic i have been using for 4 seasons now. For the previous 3 seasons i have pretty much played teams off the park with an attacking, passing based tactic. My front 3 of DLF and IFs have consistently performed and scored goals. But since the update, my play has been very scrappy in comparison. My main concern is we are not creating as many chances, which i know where reduced in the last update and also my left sided IF. I have used various players in the position and all performed exceptional in the past seasons. But this season, im really struggling to get much out of any player that plays there. Any help or ideas of where i can improve would be be appreciated.

lO93ofd.png

5VpGUOl.png

The only players with non standard instructions are:

FB's - Dribble more, Mark tighter, Run wide with ball and Cross more often

ANC - Pass shorter

DLP - More risky passes

What I would do:

- Ask the right IF to "Stay Wider", to make sure he doesn't occupy the same space as your CMa.

- Set the left IF to support in stead of attack, to create depth in the attack. At the moment, all of your attackers are 'runners', so to speak. Yet, you play in 'Control', forcing your oponent to defend deeper and restrict the space your forwards can run into. With your left IF on support, he will be in the second wave of attack, so to speak.

- To compensate for the lack of width on your left (supporting IFs cut inside earlier and attacking ones), I'd set your left back to WBs or CWBs. Maybe try "stay wider" on him too.

- Switch positions for your roles in defense, so you have cover on the same side as your attacking fullback. This is optional.

- I suspect your striker is too attack-minded/less involved in buildup. Ideally, for a winger set up with inside forwards, your lone striker should drop off the opponents back four to link up play with your midfielders and/or inside forwards. Try bumping him down to DLS support instead.

These are the changes I would do. As for anything else in this game, watch what is happening on the field, and change things accordingly. Try watching 10-15 minutes ingame in "full" instead of "key" or "Extended", to see what your players do.

Could it just be that you have been overachieving for the last 3 seasons and with this latest step up in quality you are simply being found out a bit?

Have you tried playing a little more cautiously, especially against the divisions' top sides?

I play with a similar line-up, and also experienced issues with scrappy play, more than anything in the middle of the pitch. I decided the issue was with the DLP who slowed down play too much around the centre circle, while the wingers and forward moved away and were out of reach for a short passing game. This led to sideways or backward passes, and little goal action.

The step I took to remedy this was putting the CM A as an advanced playmaker, with the former DLP attacking as another holding man in the middle. That meant my AP now dictated the tempo, playing the ball through from the final third and picking out the front 3 runners. It's a small switch but an example of how fine-tuning can revitalise the team. You always have the option of going back, too, if the new set-up begins to struggle.

The problem likely stems from your front 3 plus the CM(A) getting too far forward and there being nobody getting forward to support them and hence a ball is punted in one of their directions and perhaps lost. There are a couple of ways to remedy this. An attack duty for one of your full backs would give your deeper midfielder players a different option when passing and create space for other players by forcing the opposition to close him down. Similarly, a W(s) or AP(s) or something like that on the same side as the CM(A) would leave a player sitting deeper to help link the forward play.

I have a very similar set-up to you, and I play with a AP(S) and WB(A) on one of the flanks. This gives me an extra body in midfield, to link play, and an additional wide threat to stretch the opposition.

I play the same formation.

I had to tweak it in season three a little to get it working. Mine is far more aggressive than yours with lots of closing down, high tempo, high line etc etc.

Looking at the player roles and duties there are a few things that stick out for me, but please be aware that I am not familiar with your players.

Some things to consider:

• Do you have a right foot IF(A) on the left and a left foot IF(A) on the right?
  • The only person you really have supporting the front four (inc CM(A)) is a long DLP(S).
  • The CM(A) can work with an IF(A) infront of him as I play that way.
  • If your DLF(A) is at all creative then you want him as (S) so he will sit a little deeper to start (drawing defense out a little and making space for IF(A)'s).
  • The above will also focus him more around passing to the IF(A).
  • If either of your IF(A) are creative then I'd highly suggest looking at the RMD role. I have found it helps to have the feet on the correct side (left/left - right/right) as they will cross more.
  • Sometimes the IF(A) can find it a little hard to find space. This is normally represented by a lack of involvement in the stats screen. I generally look at around 20-25mins, though I will already know what I will see. Bear in mind that their objective is to score, so even if they have low passing but are getting shots off then just leave them. However if passes and shots are low then use ROAM from Position. This can be very dangerous in this area.
  • THe RMD has the above as default as well as channels thus they are always well involved.
  • Given that you have an Anchor why are you being so cautious with your L/RB's? There will be tons of space in front of them with two IF(A)'s and youre not really using it. Unless they can not pass or cross then I'd suggest WB(A) or WB(S) if they are weaker or you're facing strong wingers.
  • You dont really need a DLP(S) as the Anchor will control back passes from up front.
  • I generally opt for two of three combo's in the MC positions. CM(A) or BBM(S) and CM(S). Always CM(S). The CM(A) is good at attacking space and the BBM, which has roaming, is good at finding space. This combination supports play better for me than what you have (I have tried very similar).
  • If you are facing a deeper team without the following - AMC or Deep striker, then you can switch the Anchor (or in my case HB) to a DLP(D). He will still be deep, will intercept clearances from the opposition and will have the time to pick out passes (assuming he is capable).
  • If you're pushing up, which 'control' does to a certain extent, be aware that there may not be much space for throughballs. Couple this with only one creative player deep then by the time a pass is thought about everyone will already be forward, likely being marked, and highlikely to have no space around them. If you were counter attacking or defensive then I think it would be a better call.

lol.... in short, and I should have written this first, attack more from the back and support more from the front.

Regards

LAM

But he has Attack Duty IFs and Support Duty FBs?
Yes, However when a attack is on, it will be quite an interesting battle down the middle and with you want your midfielders extra option on the wings the IF (a) and the FB (s). Also as explained in Cleon's sticky, he recommends a WB/IF pairing on the width. This is because this enables the WB to overlap the IF when he cuts inside and it also allows the team to stretch the play

Yes, However when a attack is on, it will be quite an interesting battle down the middle and with you want your midfielders extra option on the wings the IF (a) and the FB (s). Also as explained in Cleon's sticky, he recommends a WB/IF pairing on the width. This is because this enables the WB to overlap the IF when he cuts inside and it also allows the team to stretch the play

In what thread? I don't use IF's or fullbacks in the thread that's stickied as its all about a 442. I'd also never recommend something, I'd more than likely explain why it was useful for me and what it was I was trying to achieve. But I can't remember writing about WB's who overlap IF's.

In what thread? I don't use IF's or fullbacks in the thread that's stickied as its all about a 442. I'd also never recommend something, I'd more than likely explain why it was useful for me and what it was I was trying to achieve. But I can't remember writing about WB's who overlap IF's.
Pairs and Combos?? I only remember because I read quite a bit again and again. Of course, the guy was asking for some suggestions. But, I know there is more than one right answer and I was just giving mine :D Cheers

Pairs and Combos?? I only remember because I read quite a bit again and again. Of course, the guy was asking for some suggestions. But, I know there is more than one right answer and I was just giving mine :D Cheers

That's not my thread, that's Llama's :D

I really dont know where to start with all the good advice. So im going try out a few things mentioned be various posters and see which ones i prefer or work the best. I will update on my progress. Here are a few screenshots of how my front 3 players have performed over the past 4 seasons.

Limpan DLF(A) Season 2,3 and 4

1EEgQyE.png

Iwobi (Played IF Sup or Att) Season 3 and 4

injtw2U.png

Banton (Played IF Sup or Att) Season 3 and 4

dhljJQK.png

West (Played IF Sup or Att) Season 1,2 and 3

FBdIVUA.png

Cook (Played IF Sup or Att) Season 1 and 2

13jEGtZ.png

As you can see my front 3, particularly my Limpman DLF (A) have never had problems scoring. Lipman shouldnt really be doing as well as he has season after season, his attributes have generally been well below the average standard of most of the leagues i have played in. So im loathed to change is his duty.

My current IF's can play on both sides of the pitch and have at least reasonable for their weaker foot to try maximise their ability to cut inside

Maybe posting a screenshot of my current attacking players attributes might give everyone a better idea of the types of players i have.

Lipman attributes

ZwGsLGQ.png

Stewart attributes

DuqcbLi.png

Iwobi attributes

gyYAVrz.png

Banton attributes

EhaOu9K.png

Willard attributes

mFsIXU2.png

Archived