Help polish my narrow diamond

So. I've got Weston-Super-Mare up to the Premier League using a narrow diamond the whole way. It's set up like this:

Attacking / Fluid

--------AF(a)---DLF(s)------

-------------T(a)-------------

--------CM(s)--CM(s)--------

------------HB (d)------------

WB(a)--CD(d)-CD(d)--FB (s)

Team Instructions: Shorter Passing, Exploit the Middle, Play Wider, Push Up More, Close Down Much More. Many of these have come from lurking in the forum and seeing how other people have made this shape work, partly as well my, ahem, philosophy has always been to play aggressively.

I've found as long as I've been able to sign good full-backs and a good Trequartista, I score the most goals in the division each year and many games I'm two or three nil up at half time (at which point I Retain Possession and close down less). The downside to this tactic is every year one or two teams play with CF/AML/AMC/AMR/MC/MC and destroy me. I've lost 4-0 to Shrewsbury, Millwall, Crystal Palace, home and away, all due to the formation. I accept this because I'm not clever enough to understand how to counteract. I guess it's just the perfect way to play against my shape.

The reason I ask for help is that the Premier League seems to be a completely different kettle of fish. All but two or three of my players are Premier League quality but I'm losing every match by two or three goals. My simple approach doesn't cut it any more, and the game's quickly become pretty miserable. Any suggestions for how I could tweak my tactic would be really appreciated.

Cheers!

With fluid fluidity your central midfielders will be quite aggressive as you split your team in two units (one defensive and one attacking), so it would be useful to split their roles (dlp/s and cm/a for example, but there are lot of other possibilities). If you play hb in dm position you would also like to assign the other fullback attacking roles as well. How do you concede goals? Counter-attacks? Aren't you too aggressive?

Thanks, I'll give that a go. When I lose, it's either being murdered on the counterattack (my CBs are both fairly nippy but not when it comes to a striker with 18/19 pace/acceleration) or being swamped around my box. I've read a great deal on here about how these two problems can be overcome by dropping deeper or direct passing, but I find whenever I try either of these approaches I give up whatever control I had and get completely penned in.

Another question - if I did play with DLP would it still be worth having a Trequartista? I don't really understand what happens if two players in your team are focal points, as it were.

The biggest problem with my tactic is it's hopeless in situations where you're a huge underdog - it's great against similar or worse teams but I took it to Stamford Bridge and lost 7-1!

I actually find it a little strange that you're being done by a 4-2-3-1 Wide so often as (IMO) with the diamond your Treq should be able to take advantage of the space behind their 2 CM's - how are you getting the ball to him to take advantage of this?

With regard to the rest, with no other width, I'd be inclined to have WB's on both sides (possibly CWB's depending on opposition). Otherwise, I agree with the above point regarding splitting your CM roles & duties + (again IMO) I've often thought that as the HB sits deeper than your average DM, it's always a good idea to have a DLP to collect the ball from him (however you could be a little more adventurous and try a Roaming one).

As for TI's, not so sure you really need Exploit the Middle as your key playmaker is already there hence your play will be focused through him anyway.

Another question - if I did play with DLP would it still be worth having a Trequartista? I don't really understand what happens if two players in your team are focal points, as it were.

The biggest problem with my tactic is it's hopeless in situations where you're a huge underdog - it's great against similar or worse teams but I took it to Stamford Bridge and lost 7-1!

There shouldn't be problem, they are different types of players, one is static and dictates tempo from deep, the other has a free role, moves into channels. The trick is to create good movement between lines, as well as enough cover. It all depends on your players.

And that's very ambitious to go to Stamford Bridge with this tactic...

I find its very hard to create one very fluid tactic with allot of adv player roles such as AP, Treq and DLP. In general they are all tree focused roles.

What i wonder is if this tree roles is being used at the same time, would the cancel each other out, or make a "crash" where they are totally useless.

Anyone have a good answer to this?

I removed 'Play through the middle', switched my FB(S) to a WB(A) and split my two CM (S) into a DLP (S) and a CM (A). Luckily the players I had were well suited to the new roles. What seems to have changed is that by pushing both fullbacks up, I'm pushing opposition wingers back much more effectively - having far fewer problems down the flanks. I'm also seeing more of my play funnelled through my DLP whereas before it was my HB, and he seems to be better at playing sensible passes.

Archived