Kryptonite...

So here's my problem. I've been playing an attacking/control narrow diamond all the way from Blue Square South to EPL. I like how aggressive the tactic is, and I enjoy watching the interplay between my front three (AF/DLF and a T).

One thing I hate about it though is that there's one tactic it consistently gets destroyed by - a high 4-2-3-1. In the Conference I remember losing 4-0 to Shrewsbury using it in the playoff final. In League One, Wigan beat my by 3 home and away. Likewise Millwall and Crystal Palace in the Championship. This season I've lost 3-0 to Everton and 3-1 to Newcastle playing it. It is hugely frustrating.

I've tried dropping deep and playing direct. It just invites more pressure. I've tried playing a patient 4-5-1. I've tried man marking their wide players, their strikers. Going in hard. Everything. I just can't work it out and it's really affecting my enjoyment of the game - no fun to be had when you can't learn from your mistakes!

So, the opposition lines up against you like this - how do you play?

----------ST-----------

AML----AMC------AMR

-----MC-----MC------

----------------------

DL-----DC--DC------DR

Thanks!

I look at the formation widget to figure out what I think the Duties of their wide men are. If their AML is attacking, my DR is only Defend or Support (and vice versa) so I can have a man back covering him. If their DL seems to be on Support or Attack, then my midfielder on that side is set to Attack (and vice versa) to exploit space behind him.

In that system, their CMs will not be that adventurous. With a narrow diamond you can look to stress their more attacking CM by having your MC on that side as your more offensive one. Your AMC should cause merry havoc.

You can learn an awful lot from a glance at the formation widget.

what is this formation widget you speak of?

Just the AI formation pop-up that you can select in match. It's a really, really useful thing to refer to. It shows when they change formation and lets you see (vaguely) which players are playing with more aggressive mentalities.

Thanks for the advice! So I tried what you suggested and still lost 3-0 to an inferior team playing this formation. Decided I had to see if I could crack it - driving me nuts - so I saved and reloaded it. Have now played the same match against Newcastle 17 times, each time with a different tweak, and lost every one by at least 2 goals, ending a 12 match unbeaten run. Genuinely wondering if the game is scripted sometimes? You'd expect in at least one of those games for one of their players to get injured or sent off. Any thoughts?

The narrow diamond should be able to slap the 4231 around I use a narrow 4312 it's not entirely dissimilar. The only difference would be how ur three in midfield play.The Bust the Tactic stickies thread up top talks about how I adapt tactics against different systems and the 4231 is covered. You need to defend the flanks and control the middle. The midfield is easy.

The narrow diamond should be able to slap the 4231 around I use a narrow 4312 it's not entirely dissimilar. The only difference would be how ur three in midfield play.The Bust the Tactic stickies thread up top talks about how I adapt tactics against different systems and the 4231 is covered. You need to defend the flanks and control the middle. The midfield is easy.

Would this also be true if the 4231 has the 2 MCs as DMs? I play a narrow diamond and do well EXCEPT against the 4231(2DM) formation. Can't seem to crack it.

Should have given more info:

Playing as NYCFC in MLS

---------P(a)----DLF(s)---

David Villa Villa sometimes as CF(a)

-----------AM(s)----------

----BBM(s)-------CM(a)-- Sometimes RPM(s)

------------A(d)-----------

CWB(s)-CD(d)-CD(d)-CWB(a)

-----------GK(d)----------

If pressure on us on wings, I change the CWB's to FB(s)

Would this also be true if the 4231 has the 2 MCs as DMs? I play a narrow diamond and do well EXCEPT against the 4231(2DM) formation. Can't seem to crack it.
The deep 4231 requires a fair bit more intelligence in ur players and it's not hard formation, it's almost always a defensive system, you beat it the same way

Archived