Opposition strikers breaking through middle of CBs

Time and again I see opposition strikers run through the gap between my CBs, get found with a pass and score.

How to stop this from happening?

I play a FB(Au), CB(D), CB(D), FB(Au) with no PIs on the CBs.

In front of them I have a CM(D) and a DLP(D).

It probably account for 50% of the goals I concede. From what I can see neither CB are pushing out to close anyone down so they should be holding their shape... so why the gap?

Team Instructions are Control, Flexible with Push Higher Up and Work Ball Into Box.

I'm playing a 4231.

Help.

Time and again I see opposition strikers run through the gap between my CBs, get found with a pass and score.

How to stop this from happening?

I play a FB(Au), CB(D), CB(D), FB(Au) with no PIs on the CBs.

In front of them I have a CM(D) and a DLP(D).

It probably account for 50% of the goals I concede. From what I can see neither CB are pushing out to close anyone down so they should be holding their shape... so why the gap?

Team Instructions are Control, Flexible with Push Higher Up and Work Ball Into Box.

I'm playing a 4231.

Help.

If you could post screen shots of the match, or even a video clip that would be extremely helpful BUT I think I know what's happening regardless..

You're playing a 4-2-3-1 wide, right? No DM'S? In that case, there is a natural gap between your CM's and CD's. It's really one of the main weaknesses of that formation. If your team isn't pressing high up the pitch + aggressively closing down the other team, you can get hit through the middle by a team with capable passers. It's really not difficult when you think about it. If they bypass your initial press, you've got 2 holding players sitting there with a lot of space behind them, the other team is going to look to exploit that.

Here's a few things you can do...

-drop the CM's to DM.

- instruct the CB's to close down less

- instruct the team to close down MORE (this is probably your best bet because there's no point in playing such an aggressive shape if you're not going to utilize it's main strength... which is pressing high up the pitch and engaging early on in the build up.

The other thing I recommend is changing the duties of your wide defenders. Why are they auto? You're giving away control there. Put one on attack and the other on support. Make sure the wide men ahead of them make sense though. IE, don't put an attacking fullback behind an attacking winger because you might get overloaded and they might run into each other. Mix supporting and attacking duties to create overlaps.

Hope this helps.

Cheers for that.. I thought instructing the CBs to close down less would be the best option, but I've moved the CMs down to DMCs and will get the team to close down more further up.

Will let you know how it works out, thanks.

The other thing I recommend is changing the duties of your wide defenders. Why are they auto? You're giving away control there. Put one on attack and the other on support. Make sure the wide men ahead of them make sense though. IE, don't put an attacking fullback behind an attacking winger because you might get overloaded and they might run into each other. Mix supporting and attacking duties to create overlaps.

Hope this helps.

If I may add to what Bababooey said, an Inside Forward also gives the chance of overlapping due to their nature of cutting inside.

Archived