Senegal's Arsenal Thread 2015/16

ajw10

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not that wrong. He is a passing deep midfielder.

Which is what we need. So a good addition potentially then. Would be good for us to plan Wilshere as a bonus and if he's fit then have a dilemma on who to drop...

I'm not pro-Wenger at all at this point but he'd definitely cough up £35M for Xhaka, especially since Flamini and Arteta are most likely gone in the summer. The only thing that would prevent him from doing so would probably be if Kroos himself became available instead.

Also some Twitter talk that Ozil is going to be made captain next season.

In today's market it is.

It isn't.

I'm not pro-Wenger at all at this point but he'd definitely cough up £35M for Xhaka' date=' especially since Flamini and Arteta are most likely gone in the summer. The only thing that would prevent him from doing so would probably be if Kroos himself became available instead.

Also some Twitter talk that Ozil is going to be made captain next season.[/quote']

I don't see him coughing up £35mill for Xhaka. Schneiderlin was £10mill less from a club which was in a stronger financial position.

I don't see him coughing up £35mill for Xhaka. Schneiderlin was £10mill less from a club which was in a stronger financial position.

New TV deal is 30% bigger than the last one so there's your inflation right there. Add in various new commercial deals and £35m is the new £20m. And we are one of the financially strongest clubs in the world, silly to suggest otherwise.

New TV deal is 30% bigger than the last one so there's your inflation right there. Add in various new commercial deals and £35m is the new £20m. And we are one of the financially strongest clubs in the world' date=' silly to suggest otherwise.[/quote']

Our commercial deals are irrelevant similarly our finances. Market price is simply what most teams would pay for a player like that. It definitely isn't £35mill. Some examples as to why not. Schneiderlin moved for £24mill in an internal Premier League transfer. Here are some Bundesliga prices for the average midfielder (Xhaka is better but not massively) moving to or from a good team (in Euros): Kampl moved from Dortmund to Leverkusen for 11mill, Castro moved for 11 mill the other way, Geis moved from Mainz to Schalke for 12mill. I struggle to think of an example excluding Herrera and Martinez (as Bilbao is an anomaly) where a player moves from an above average European club to a big club for what you think is the market price outside of internal PL transfers. You're applying internal PL transfer economics to buying from Germany which is cheaper as quite simply the clubs can't say no as easily to the money even if BM are a relatively wealthy team.

If we paid that sort of money for Xhaka (I would be surprised if we did or needed to) it would be beyond market price and would be a very aggressive move from us. A necessary one also.

If the rumours of us scouting him for ages are true I don't see him passing on him, especially since even he would know now that Arteta at least isn't an option going forward, with Flamini also a waste of space apart from keeping Ozil's morale up.

It wouldn't be the first time we refuse to pay up even if we have watched them a lot

We have a game in hand but yeah, we've got very little chance of catching them.

I think we have a better chance than people think as it isn't that likely Leicester or Spurs win out all or even nearly all of their remaining games as neither are suddenly amazing teams. It is improbable though to say the least.

Well the modern football economic situation is obviously not irrelevant, the PL has huge amounts of money to spent now, this means a) spending £30m has as much meaning to a club's finances as say £20m would have a few seasons ago and b) clubs in Europe are going to charge more. You're being contrary again as I know you are a clever guy and we both know that transfer fees and wages always increase when new tv deals come into play (As Arsene himself has explained at length on several occasions). How much do you think Henry would cost us to buy now? Or Reyes?

Well the modern football economic situation is obviously not irrelevant' date=' the PL has huge amounts of money to spent now, this means a) spending £30m has as much meaning to a club's finances as say £20m would have a few seasons ago and b) clubs in Europe are going to charge more. You're being contrary again as I know you are a clever guy and we both know that transfer fees and wages always increase when new tv deals come into play (As Arsene himself has explained at length on several occasions). How much do you think Henry would cost us to buy now? Or Reyes?[/quote']

Spot on. For the Reyes example see Martial last summer, for equivalency.

Well the modern football economic situation is obviously not irrelevant' date=' the PL has huge amounts of money to spent now, this means a) spending £30m has as much meaning to a club's finances as say £20m would have a few seasons ago and b) clubs in Europe are going to charge more. You're being contrary again as I know you are a clever guy and we both know that transfer fees and wages always increase when new tv deals come into play (As Arsene himself has explained at length on several occasions). How much do you think Henry would cost us to buy now? Or Reyes?[/quote']

I think we are talking about slightly different things. Obviously transfer prices (internal PL transfers at the very least) and wages (regardless of where from) will rise. I am saying that Xhaka at £35mill is over market value. Obviously it is easily within our financial reach. However if we are paying that we are paying more than we should given BM aren't a PL team and thus will probably find it harder to turn down large sums (less than £35mill). Secondly we can probably find a similar player for less. If we do pay this, it is beyond the market price (as I think I demonstrated with the prices for Bundesliga midfielders). There isn't anything wrong with that if he is the right guy though.

I think we've reached the stage where there is such a thing as "Arsenal premium." We are probably now one of the clubs that will have to overpay beyond the market price, just because we're Arsenal. Not to the same extent as PSG and Man City obviously, but I think it's there. I think the combination of clubs knowing we're swimming in cash, and is desperate for quality, will see our interest as a way to receive higher prices than they usually would selling to someone else.

I think we've reached the stage where there is such a thing as "Arsenal premium." We are probably now one of the clubs that will have to overpay beyond the market price, just because we're Arsenal. Not to the same extent as PSG and Man City obviously, but I think it's there. I think the combination of clubs knowing we're swimming in cash, and is desperate for quality, will see our interest as a way to receive higher prices than they usually would selling to someone else.

Tbh I think there's been an 'arsenal premium' for a few years, which is why Wenger is reluctant to spend. Our two big signings were effectively transfer listed.

I think we have a better chance than people think as it isn't that likely Leicester or Spurs win out all or even nearly all of their remaining games as neither are suddenly amazing teams. It is improbable though to say the least.

There are two main matches that you have to gain points from if you want to catch up with them

There's something in common with all these predictions, no matter how I run it Arsenal never get more than 72 points (their path is more difficult)

Arsenal's title hopes depend on these matches, tomorrow against Spurs, April 9 away at West Ham and May 7 away at Manchester City

My predictions a month ago :D

Since Tottenham was a draw, you a need at least 4 points from the other two matches

I like this first 11.

Me too, but I'd still like to see some more from Gabriel.

The Coqleny is developing well. Both can do a defensive job. Eleny has been showing what our midfield two has been missing.

I'm still a little concerned about Welbeck. It's the same concern though. We all know he's capable of contributing very well to the team, as he did today. However, his products in the final third is still sorely lacking for someone we'd hope to lead our line in a title charge. Even Iwobi is showing what being clinical is like. Can't complain when our team is playing this well though.

I think it helps that 3/4 of our most frustrating finishers (Walcott, Giroud, and Ramsey) were missing from the field, and the last, Sanchez, has actually improved (he was previously as bad as anyone.) With a player like 96% passing accuracy Eleny in the team as well, we've become a lot less wasteful.

Really delighted with Alex Iwobi. Nice to see an academy player step up like that, but he is just so positive on the ball, always trying to do something with it - he takes people on, and moves it with pace and rarely looks for the simple ball to the full back etc. Improved us a lot since he came in, and I really hope he carries on in this manner.

We played really well as a whole today, and Elneny just really makes midfield tick nicely. I know it's probably too late (but you never know), however its nice to get a few positives to watch too.

Gabriel keeps his place. Worked well last time we played Watford at home

Wenger is done with Mertesacker it sees which is on one level understandable as he inherently limits us and he is making errors but bizarre as Gabriel can't pass and makes even more errors.

Yesterday was good. I like this starting XI though I think Coquelin is a pretty unnecessary part in home games at the very least. He at times had to go forwards yesterday and whilst there were one or two good passes there was also some awful play.

Find Kawee on Welbeck bizarre also. Welbeck is fine he is doing a good job. He wasn't amazing yesterday but strikers won't always be so and it doesn't matter if you have a functioning midfield. Also Iwobi's arrival demonstrates two things 1) the importance of balance 2) how important it is we play someone who comes narrow from one of the wings for 'Wengerball' to work.

It's obvious to see that Welbeck lacks the killer instinct I'm the box like a top class striker would possess which is probably why we still need one. Otherwise he actually allows the front players to function more efficiently and that alone should warrant him a starting place.

I think Welbeck has received plenty of praises, because his play has deserved so. He's been playing well. However, it's not like he's done much to convince he's improved in the areas we're looking for him to improve in. We all know he contributes well to the team play. What we want to see are final products that are associated with all top strikers.

I think Welbeck has received plenty of praises, because his play has deserved so. He's been playing well. However, it's not like he's done much to convince he's improved in the areas we're looking for him to improve in. We all know he contributes well to the team play. What we want to see are final products that are associated with all top strikers.

Is he being played as a striker though? Is he being played as the focal point of your attack? Honest question because he always seems to be out wide when I watch you.

Is he being played as a striker though? Is he being played as the focal point of your attack? Honest question because he always seems to be out wide when I watch you.

That might have been when he was playing with Giroud up top. He has definitely been leading the line though.

I'm also liking the Sanchez wide right. He doesn't always jut cut inside now. He plays much closer to the box on the right, and that's where he's most dangerous, especially because he actually attacks the box quite well.

Now he is. Before he has played wide or with Alexis behind him (so effectively not the main striker). It will be interesting to see how well he does as the main striker over an extended period with Ozil behind him.

With Iwobi a firm part of your squad now, surely one of the attackers has to leave in the summer? You are overloaded there. I wonder if Walcott regrets signing that contract. Competition is scary. ust imagine if you had a fully fit team. The amount of players who will not even make the bench...

Archived