Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

Very odd we've pulled out of the Pedro deal. The old pattern repeats itself. We haggle on price for months, Chelsea tie it up in a few days.

He seems like a great fit for us. We need more goalscorers, and pace out wide. He would bring it.

Müller isn't happening. Get real. Next you'll claim we'll get Schweinsteiger :lol:

Hold on.... :ackter:

No seriously, tho, I don't see why he would leave Bayern. Would just be another Ramos situation, where we all realistically know it's not going to happen, but Ed spends silly amounts of hours on it. Then deadline passes, no players have been signed, and we rage about why we wasted time pursuing a player that clearly was unavailable.

• Replies 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LVG doesn't strike me as the type of manager who would accept being told that we have missed out on someone for the sake of a couple of million euros. So if we aren't interested I would assume it is LVG's decision.

I'm really hoping there is someone else lined up though, both up top and centre back.

Just watched the match. Good result but could have been worse. A couple of occasions they were the matter of picking the right pass or executing the pass properly from scoring a second. Just our defending positioning at times was really poor.

Smalling was excellent yet again, Shaw is getting better with each match and I absolutely love Darmian. He is so difficult to get past, and is looking better going forward each match. The guy can seriously pick out a decent pass as well.

Can't quite decide if Smalling or Depay were my MOTM. Depay scored two beautiful goals but also had a good share of moments where he took far too long on the ball and missed his opportunity to make something happen, or tried something that didn't come off. A great ball though for Fellaini's goal so that may have just swung it for him.

Rooney was a bit better than the previous two games but still so disappointing. Januzaj was poor as well. I really do think he needs to go out on loan to somewhere that he'll play regularly, a midtable Prem side ideally. Far too many times he tries to be too clever and also his final ball was poor quite often as well as some stray passes. Needs to really start doing the basic things right on a consistent basis before bringing in the tricks and stuff, far too like early days Ronaldo atm.

Was calling for Carrick to be replaced at HT by Schweinsteiger as felt he had a rare poor game. So many misplaced passes which is so unusual for him, though it was a great pickout for Depay's first.

Overall I thought that we looked a lot sharper when attacking in the most part, more fluid, though we still broke down a bit too often due to an errant pass and we do lack pace in and around Rooney. Depay is bringing that but as good as Mata, Carrick, Schneiderlin are they do lack pace.

Still, should be job done and will take a monumental ****up for us to not concede, so job done in terms of what we should have at least expected from the first leg. Would expect us to win on Saturday.

Would rather give Lingard and Pereira a chance now tbf

Speaking of kids. Particularly, Pereira. He looked so lively in preseason. And, quick. On the wing. With a nice cross. Isn't that what we are looking for? Put the kid in and see what he can do.

He probably doesn't think we need the wing help as much as the striker help. We keep getting linked with Cavani, Zlatan, etc. Something will probably happen and it will be an out and out striker. And, it doesn't seem like anything else....except Laporte.

it doesn't matter that pedro is £22m or otamendi is £40m or memphis is £25m or schneiderlin is £25m or mane is £25m as long as vaal gaal believes they have the right attributes and can improve the team. we're not hagglng a few million over pedro or otamendi because it's a money issue.

Made up most of it with Di Maria. Don't believe it's anything to do with money - despite selling a few, we've still got a big squad if you include the youngsters on the periphery.

Bbc running that we bid for Mane last week.

fans just get so caught up and invested in these big names talked about in the media – whether it's ramos or pedro or whoever – and then throw a massive tantrum when they're not all magically signed, despite often not being serious targets in the first place, or if we've dropped interest and decided against it etc etc. then they can't see beyond those who have been mentioned for the past month and all of a sudden it's a BIG WOODWARD FAILURE. chill out.

Its already being touted as a managers decision, well unless Muller is coming or another star why would LVG lose interest? Its rubbish.

The only positive could be that I have read Mourinho doesn't want Pedro but Roman does and it is creating tensions with Jose fearing its the old Abramovich popping back up.

That is weird. All signs so far indicate that Mourinho and Fabregas pushed for this move.

I've been thinking recently Smalling might really mature a bit later than others. With him having less footballing education than everyone else in the squad the mental side of the game might take longer to catch up. Technically and physically he has it all to be great and since the major ****up vs City last year he has been very good.

Im less convinced Jones will do the same at the moment, I thought it would have started to take effect with him by now.

It's the fact that there's been no discernible improvement in that mental side in the five years he's been here that makes me doubt him. His positioning, marking and decision making is typically suspect at best and he never seems to learn from his mistakes. I've said similar on his lack of football education before but for me it's him not having had the fundamentals drummed into him during his formative years that means he'll always fall short. I suppose if anyone can address that then it's LvG with his micromanagement, but again, you'd expect to have seen progress on that front already.

With Jones it seems more like the whole package is there; he just needs the consistency. As Smalling has shown playing regularly can help, but obviously you've got to be fit to do that.

Southampton bought Mane for about £12m. Red Bull have a 25% sell on fee for him so I would guess Southampton will want a substantial fee (would have thought £30m plus) to cover the sell on clause.

£10m Southampton paid for Mane. Wasn't aware of that clause in the deal though, if we do sign him then it is most likely going to be around the £25m mark.

Going back to last night's game, Smalling was a MOTM contender at least for the third straight game, was winning pretty much everything in the air and on the ground. He has been really good since that sending off vs City late last year.

It's great to finally have two proper fit and able FBs, Shaw is deceptively quick, never dives in and can get up and down the field with good link up play, impresses me how when he gets to the byline or near the box that he doesn't just put his head down and put the ball anywhere but actually gets his head up and try to pick out a team mate. Darmian on the right is equally as impressive, pretty much does what I've said above about Shaw, he's going to be a great signing, can't believe we've managed to get him for £13m. :D

Rooney was slightly better than in the previous game but not by much and it was mostly because he had players closer to him, he was more involved in the game but still not doing enough. He usually scores against Newcastle so here's to hoping...

Memphis took his two goals superbly well, you could tell what he had in mind as the ball was coming towards him for the second goal, got a very talented player on our hands here! Also loved how disappointed he seemed in the post match interview as he was talking about the 1-2 chances that he didn't take. :thup:

A rare off night for Carrick, was hoping Basti would have started the game but thankfully he came on at HT and got his fitness up some more, hopefully he starts for Carrick on Saturday.

Is there any likelihood at all of United just buying Charlie Austin as a bit of a Danny Ings-esque role (like Ings has for Liverpool) as someone who can just come on and be that out and out striker United need as a sub.

The Ings-esque roll seems to be young Engish player not gonna get much of a game at all

Mane is a decent prospect, it's just it's always going to sound bad when everyone is hyped up on Pedro. Anything approaching £20m for him would be incredibly steep, £25m downright ridiculous from a buyers perspective.

If the mentioned 25% sell-on clause is correct, then £20m will equate to just a £3.2m profit for Saints in a year (we paid £11.8m I think). As a club that doesn't need money, it would take a more enticing offer than that to persuade us to sell, or Mane would have to get arsey.

If the mentioned 25% sell-on clause is correct, then £20m will equate to just a £3.2m profit for Saints in a year (we paid £11.8m I think). As a club that doesn't need money, it would take a more enticing offer than that to persuade us to sell, or Mane would have to get arsey.

It would seem very odd to me that after a £10m transfer fee a '25% of total fee' sell-on clause would also be included.

I wouldn't mind charlie Austin as long as Wilson goes on loan somewhere and doesn't just stagnate on the bench. Will probably cost 15m and he would be a proper forward who can happily play up top on his own and has a decent scoring record. That way we have 3 very different forwards who offer something different. And even though we don't play 2 up top they would all complement each other quite well if it did happen.

Obviously people will say he's not 'utd quality' but as a stop gap or back up id say he was more than half decent. Plus it would hopefully allow Wilson to go on loan which I think is what he needs.

fans just get so caught up and invested in these big names talked about in the media – whether it's ramos or pedro or whoever – and then throw a massive tantrum when they're not all magically signed, despite often not being serious targets in the first place, or if we've dropped interest and decided against it etc etc. then they can't see beyond those who have been mentioned for the past month and all of a sudden it's a BIG WOODWARD FAILURE. chill out.

Twitter is to blame

Surely these Sadio Mane rumours are just the usual made up slow-news-day bollocks that journalists come up with to fill the back pages? I mean, if true it is just daft imo. Can't get Pedro so next option is... Mane? Don't see any point in buying someone like him, would much rather give chances to Wilson, Pereira etc... in the forward positions that pay for someone like him.

Archived