Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

• Replies 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm fine with Mata coming inside in terms of Mata in isolation; the problem is that when there's not enough going on around him everything is too predictable. He's always going to cut in and he's always going to operate in front of the defence. Good as Darmian has been thus far he's not enough of a danger to cause sufficient concern for the defence. As such a lot of our better work has come down the left and it's a bit predictable. If we had Mata in the middle he'd have more passing angles available, and with Januzaj or whoever on the right we'd have two wingers who can go either way and have sufficient pace to ask questions of the defence. Playing Memphis in the middle seems to starve him of the space he needs to operate effectively.

oh yeah mata in the middle would be even better, there's no real benefit to playing him wider instead. it seems the obvious answer in fact. he'd probably start playing out of his skin as i'm sure david silva will keep doing now he's been moved inside. but as you say it's ultimately a lack of movement and speed around him, he can't do everything on his own because he lacks the pace to drive through people like memphis for example can from, well, anywhere.

United turning down Mourinho for Moyes/LVG in football terms is like a single man turning down a Victoria Secret supermodel for a fat 20 stone whale in real life.
You've got 7 from 9 ffs, jesus you really are the anti-superman

They have been totally unconvincing though and I think you will see a lot of United's flaws when they play better teams.

I'd rather have Giggs in charge than LVG

Haha, Giggs

Get Ole Solkjaer back, he's bound to be a great manager cause you like him

I'll say with a degree of confidence that I don't think Giggs will ever get the United job, as in be appointed United manager not filling in for a few games like before (he was great then, wasn't he)

United are now on this cycle that all the mega clubs are on of bringing a manager in to get results and being shipped out in 2-4 years depending on the level of that success. Giggs is not gonna fit into that

Can kiss 'youth coming through' goodbye as well

Seriously? That's not hate at all!

Hope you do well in Europe but the Giggs for Manager love is stupid (I realise it's Sid). He has done nothing to really demonstrate he'd be any kind of good manager and these days United will not be the place for him to get his training wheels

With the money being chucked around and inevitable revolving door of managers on the horizon no manager will care about youth. It'll be like Chelsea, no path to the first team, the odd one may appear and disappear but that can't be the empthasis

Why do we need to spend 40 mill odd on Kane when there is a ex striker of ours who has no club in Berbatov :p Surely gotta be better than Rooney currently, wou;ld actually stay as the lone striker, albeit more from lazyness to move but still.

LvG's tactics are weird. We went for it in the first 20 minutes, then had a load of boring football until the last 20 minutes when we went for it again. If we don't get an early goal he just tries to shut up shop and nick a 1-0, it's quite baffling. Has he always been like that?

We were unlucky not to win on Saturday though, Rooney's goal should have stood, Hernandez should have scored and Smalling was unlucky. Would have been 2 or 3-0 on another day.

I like playing Januzaj and think he can be a good player for us but we would have won that game easily if we had Pedro on the wing instead of him. It makes it even weirder to think that we didn't go all out to get him, especially when we were so close to making a deal.

On the Giggs comments, he must be embarrassed to be associated with this football at the moment, wouldn't surprise me if he left at the end of the season.

No it shouldn't have.

Howard Webb in his little truck proved it was the correct decision.

Really? What did he say that proves it's the correct decision? All I've seen is a picture showing him in line with the defender.

There are more than 2 teams in a football match. Newcastle adapted and then got tired at the end. We "went for it" because those were the periods when Newcastle played badly.

More than 2 teams in a football match?! Our football completely changed, it must have come from the manager. I like LvG but the team needs to start performing as they should.

Then you must have been very selective, because even his agent basically said we dicked around for too long and blew it.

Damnit Ed. Put it in the hole and start pumping :(

Since the City game last season we've only scored 5 League goals.

5 league goals in 9 games really isn't very good, is it?

5 league goals in 5 months is dire tbh.

We blatently changed formation when Carrick came on. That's why we played better. The worrying thing is we looked far from sharp when we were dominating in the last 20 minutes of the game with lots of missed passes and players losing the ball. I will withhold ultimate judgement on LvG until 10 games in and his style of football might suit European football but I'm starting to think the guy is senile.

Reading the comments on here (mine included), this quote is quite apt:

"Louis van Gaal has been a very good coach in many clubs but his style is very difficult. He is very tough, people don't like him, but he wins. And one day you don't win - and when you don't win, everybody that is angry with you will come back to you and try to kill you." Ferran Soriano, LVG's vice president at Barcelona

We blatently changed formation when Carrick came on. That's why we played better. The worrying thing is we looked far from sharp when we were dominating in the last 20 minutes of the game with lots of missed passes and players losing the ball. I will withhold ultimate judgement on LvG until 10 games in and his style of football might suit European football but I'm starting to think the guy is senile.

we didn't change formation at all, it was still the same 4-2-3-1. personnel is the main reason we played better: carrick actually passed forward instead of sideways, and hernandez actually got involved and made some runs, creating a bit more space for memphis and mata around him. 9 times out of 10 hernandez puts that chance he had into the back of the net.

Archived