Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

Err, I still remember people saying a million!!

Did they make that much of a big deal about it back then?

I do remember players moving for the million but I don't think it was such a massive deal, when the deals hit the 10 million it was made out how crazy it was, they were right as well.

Now it seems it is normal to be spending 20, 30 million on a player, it is only when it hits the 100m now a big fuss is made.

Man City signed 2 players this summer for around the 50m mark each and hardly an eyebrow raised about it.

• Replies 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not going down the Arsenal fan route. If we dominate the ball like that, get a goalkeeper and a striker in, we'll be fine. It's not the football we want but we're not far off having the team to compete.

Agreed. No reason to criticize the system today. The thru balls were there to be taken. We just didn't take them. Rooney made some very good runs in particular and got the ball about four times with at least a half chance. Why he kept trying to bring the ball onto his right foot I don't understand. Isn't like him. Should have at least tested the keeper on three of them and only got one, the chip, off.

I'm not going down the Arsenal fan route. If we dominate the ball like that, get a goalkeeper and a striker in, we'll be fine. It's not the football we want but we're not far off having the team to compete.

Swansea dominated the game from start to finish, they created more clear chances. The only thing we dominated is the possession stats, which is more useless than the throw in stats.

Agreed. No reason to criticize the system today. The thru balls were there to be taken. We just didn't take them. Rooney made some very good runs in particular and got the ball about four times with at least a half chance. Why he kept trying to bring the ball onto his right foot I don't understand. Isn't like him. Should have at least tested the keeper on three of them and only got one, the chip, off.

he's still well off where he should be, terrified to use his left atm, which is odd because he's actually got a very good wrong foot. Looks like he's so worried about using his best foot in order to get the best chance of scoring he's actually making it worse. Takes any of his chances with his left he probabaly scores twice today

At this stage I'm only against Austin on a moral level. He's not the player to take us to the next level and challenge for the title but he'd make this season a hell of a lot less frustrating. I suspect the in the minority of people when I say I actually like the style of football we're playing at the moment, it's the lack of quality up top that just makes all the good work the defence and midfield are doing completely worthless.

If Austin is going to get 15 goals this season and fight around the penalty box allowing us to actually play the ball quickly and directly into the final third then what the hell... it's not dignified but it beats the hell out of watching our wide players have no choice but to cut inside repeatedly because there's no chance of putting in a successful cross.

How is fast and direct football not dignified? That is the epitome of beautiful football.

generally i don't mind the football too much, but it can be quite frustrating at times. of course it can. but what's most frustrating is having someone so painfully inept at the business end constantly ruining momentum, not moving enough, faffing around in front of goal etc etc. as well as finishing these chances first time, a proper striker would also bring the best out of those around him and we'd look more threatening in general in the final third, i think. so basically it's largely a personnel problem for me, what with such a sub-par striker and not-elite level goalkeeper – the former being by far the biggest obstacle to our title challenge. whatever way you look at it, not fixing those issues is just terrible judgement and bad management, and that lies squarely with van gaal. there won't be any real progess until this is properly addressed.

Ill get laughed out of the thread, but I think Smalling is the best defender in the league right now. Sure he he needs to improve his passing, but the lad is winning everything in the air and on the ground.

Hopefully today was a lesson in how defending is more than winning headers and 1 on 1s. Was all over the shop today and awful for both goals.

Hopefully today was a lesson in how defending is more than winning headers and 1 on 1s. Was all over the shop today and awful for both goals.

Haha, no he was not. During his run, you have been very quiet as expected because you just refuse to give him credit :o. Blind was the real shocker today and Smalling was drawn out covering for him.

Haha, no he was not. During his run, you have been very quiet as expected because you just refuse to give him credit :o. Blind was the real shocker today and Smalling was drawn out covering for him.

Not true on any count, I gave him credit for improving on my last post on him iirc, but what he's bad at is what he's always been bad at and typically makes a difference at a reasonably high level. Both goals today are easily preventable if he takes up a reasonable position, which he's shown time and time again he's incapable of. Both goals he gets sucked towards the ball like he always does, and had only gotten away with already this season due to the incompetence of the opposition and his teammates covering him.

First goal he's in an absolutely useless position doing nothing whatsoever. Second goal he looks over his shoulder, sees the threat of Gomis and still trundles towards the ball until it's too late.

We just got to see today how Blind, while perfectly adequate when we are on the front foot all game long, is completely out of his depth dealing with a very, very good striker. Got outplayed time and time again

According to RSB, it was Smalling and he has been the same in previous games but just avoided being shown up due to the opposition. :rolleyes:

Blind was the worst player on the pitch today and yet he picks on Smalling.

Can Van Gaal and Valdes/Lindegaard pucker up? Always thought Romero was awful. We had those two + De Gea in the stands and this guy is playing in the net is just puzzling. Van Gaal might be a good coach, but his history suggest he might not be the best in man management.

Well, yesterday was a thoroughly miserable load of old ****, wasn't it?

Dominated the first 20 minutes but never really created anything concrete. Switch off for ten minutes and concede 2 goals while in control of the game, though on the other hand we were lucky to be in that position as they had 2 really good chances to score with one hitting the post, both from Gomis iirc.

Depay was absolutely awful again yesterday, needs a game on the bench otherwise he'll begin to think that what he's producing is more than acceptable. Was crying out for Young to come on for him yet he comes on for Mata. Smalling was brilliant yet again, really has become so commanding and just seems to read everything so well at the minute. We really must get an actual CB in to partner him though as Blind playing there all season is not going to produce a title challenge of any degree. Rooney was poor again. Great chance near the end and just wanted to dribble it all the way to goal and got caught and it has been that way all season. Should have scored against Spurs and were lucky that Walker stepped in to poke it in instead as I'm not sure Rooney would have ever shot. Still has the touch and control of a league 2 striker.

Need a striker just as much as a CB as well. As terrible as he has been for 2 years now, what happens if Rooney gets injured for 10 games? We have Wilson as our only other striker if Chicha goes. Or... Fellaini, who isn't actually a striker but gets used as one because of his height and the fact that he can actually control a ball and lay it off. In that regard I'd be interested to see us play a few games with Fellaini up front and Rooney behind him, but that is still all kinds of wrong.

In isolation a defeat away to Swansea isn't the worst thing in the world, these results happen. No away game is easy in the PL and Swansea are a team who are always capable of getting that kind of result, it's just our style of play and performance on the whole that is plain awful to watch, other than the odd 15-20 minute spells where we dominate, excite with our quick one touch play to the edge of the opposition box and then totally run out of ideas before we actually get in to the box.

Early days, but I can't see a title challenge coming from us this season.

Dropping our new signing when he needs as many minutes as possible in a new league. Great idea.

He needs his striker making runs. Not only to create that pass, but the space for him too. Someone mentioned how many more crosses Young had than Depay. Well yeah, it's easier to cross when you have Fellaini in there.

No panic buying says Van Gaal. Man Utd make 36.3 million bid for unproven teenager. We believe you Louis.

Austin Powers and Martial Law. There shall be goals :D

I've no idea who we're truly after, if any, but I hope something happens before the deadline, as long as it's not DDG related.

I'm not as critical of the football as most, but gosh do I miss the SAF days when we threw the kitchen sink at teams in the last 20 minutes. We don't even have four strikers in the squad any more, never mind a hope of seeing four on the pitch.

So what is the upside of DDG staying other than a **** you to Madrid? We have a player for a season who doesn't want to be there and is counting down the days until he leaves on a free next year.

The window closes and then what, he goes straight back into the team? Is he focussed? 100% committed? I doubt it.

So what is the upside of DDG staying other than a **** you to Madrid? We have a player for a season who doesn't want to be there and is counting down the days until he leaves on a free next year.

The window closes and then what, he goes straight back into the team? Is he focussed? 100% committed? I doubt it.

I would sit him down and tell him we will make him the highest paid goalkeeper in the world if he signs a new deal. And it can have a release clause in it for Madrid. A world record amount for a goalkeeper. He is the best GK in the world and should be bought as one. If Madrid really want him they will pay and he can go as soon as the do pay it. no messing, just like Ronaldo.

If he doesn't sign, he spends the season in the stands.

So Adnan to Dortmund on loan. Hernandez being sold. What the **** is going on :D Where are the strikers?! We can't have 2 lined up...
Now Sky are reporting Januzaj to Dortmund on loan. Are we going to have any attacking options at all left?

Or basically what Andrew said :D

There must be something happening in regards to incoming. Dortmund will be good for Adnan.

Bale to get number 11 it seems :cool::D

So Adnan to Dortmund on loan. Hernandez being sold. What the **** is going on :D Where are the strikers?! We can't have 2 lined up...
I would sit him down and tell him we will make him the highest paid goalkeeper in the world if he signs a new deal. And it can have a release clause in it for Madrid. A world record amount for a goalkeeper. He is the best GK in the world and should be bought as one. If Madrid really want him they will pay and he can go as soon as the do pay it. no messing, just like Ronaldo.

This from Gizzy. Also let us set a precedent, we are the club where you meet our valuation or you wait till the players contract is up.

Would you sign it? I know I wouldn't if I wanted away.

Then he can sit in the stand and go for free in a year. Simples.

Next guy who wants to do a De Gea knows the drill, get your suitor to cough up or you sit and run your contract down. Over time, will see a lot more clubs coughing up and less players prepared to just wait.

Its happened to other players. They sign to get higher pay until they move, and the club get a transfer fee. Everyone wins.

He also finds out if Madrid really want him, because right now I would be questioning that if I were him.

Archived