Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

Why would he sign that? He can go to Madrid next season for nothing

Chances are if the window closes and DDG doesn't appear to buck up his ideas and be focused you'll cut your lossses and he'll leave in the summer. If, out of spite, you don't collect some money in the summer if he's not in the first team then that's every bit as idiotic as those fake lawyers

His value is going down with every day. Well done on 'teaching Madrid a lesson' guess what ... they'll get over it and also end up with their man much cheaper. I am sure DDG will survive, probably still go to the Euros (certainly will if released in summer) but still young will wipe his tears with a huge signing on bonus and security for his future. The fact he may miss out first choice out Euros will not last long but no doubt he'll have a bitter memory of his time with United

All he wants to do is leave. He's seemingly given ample notice (not handed in a request, mind. Berahino has and not accepted, would you accept it even?) ... fine, honour your contract but that's what he'll do then. Who really loses out at the end of this whole saga? United tbh

• Replies 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its happened to other players. They sign to get higher pay until they move, and the club get a transfer fee. Everyone wins.

He also finds out if Madrid really want him, because right now I would be questioning that if I were him.

I think it's clear they want him

Is the pay increase for this season going to cover his massive signing on fee at Madrid though and whatever they're offering him there (may well be more than he's getting now, right)

If he wants to go Madrid I don't see how United can 'win' this one

Then he can sit in the stand and go for free in a year. Simples.

Next guy who wants to do a De Gea knows the drill, get your suitor to cough up or you sit and run your contract down. Over time, will see a lot more clubs coughing up and less players prepared to just wait.

I think players would be more willing to sit and wait. Push for a transfer now and get say £2m-£5m signing on fee, or join end of season for nothing and get triple that.

Anybody for a Berahaino bid?

Yeah, I'll take anyone at this point :D

Actually don't think it matters who we sign as Rooney will still start. Just need a small injury. Com'on San Marino ;)

So what is the upside of DDG staying other than a **** you to Madrid? We have a player for a season who doesn't want to be there and is counting down the days until he leaves on a free next year.

The window closes and then what, he goes straight back into the team? Is he focussed? 100% committed? I doubt it.

To be quite frank, a less then optimally motivated/committed De Gea probably still ***** all over Romero

I think players would be more willing to sit and wait. Push for a transfer now and get say £2m-£5m signing on fee, or join end of season for nothing and get triple that.

Then so be it, but that becomes the way and we don't have the circus.

The player knows what the options are and the suitor does too. So we miss out on a few millions but it strengthens the bargaining every time it comes about. Also, a few players will not want to wait if they are definitely just going to be sitting about for 1 year, even better when its more than 1 year.

Right here's whats going to happen. Januzaj is going to Dortmund because Madrid said the only way Bale leaves is if we sell De Gea and they get Reus and the only way Reus leaves is if Dortmund get a player and a big fee in return.

Simples.

We are short on numbers though. That's our outfield squad if Januzaj and Hernandez leave as suggested.

1. Jones

2. Rojo

3. Depay

4. Mata

5. Rooney

6. Smalling

7. Carrick

8. Blind

9. Young

10. Herrera

11. Shaw

12. Valencia

13. Fellaini

14. Schneiderlin

15. Schweinsteiger

16. Darmian

That has to be a concern. A few injuries (which some of those players are prone to) and you are in real trouble.

Yeah, Blaszczykowski is on his way to Fiorentina now. By itself, its a very good move for him. It's the knockon effect for our depth that is the issue.

Hmm I don't know. Mkhitaryan - Kagawa - Reus are most definitely first choice, can't see Januzaj displacing any of them and a season as a back up/rotation player is no good to him.

Hmm I don't know. Mkhitaryan - Kagawa - Reus are most definitely first choice, can't see Januzaj displacing any of them and a season as a back up/rotation player is no good to him.

They obviously want a player in return for letting Reus leave :brock:

In addition to the players dion mentioned, there's also some young ones, like McNair, Wilson and Pereira. Not exactly starters though. Looks like Martial is close to a done deal, but if so many players are let go, even if just on loan, you'd think there is more in the pipelines than a ridiculously overpriced Frenchie (although he does sound very talented).

so... €50m on martial? do you people still think money's the problem?

Depends on if we sell.

Our net spend was around £8m before Pedro was on the way in for £22m and that would have probably been the end of our business at £30m net (Similar to what was said in the share prospectus). Now we are bringing in this guy for £36m after Hernandez goes for £10m and Evans for £8m so still not really any different from where we would have been if we had got Pedro with a net spend of £28m. If we end up selling DDG before the window shuts, our net spend could be less than £10m (assuming he goes for more than £20m)

So we are certainly not splurging and we are still watching the pennies.....or rather sticking to the promised spending levels to the holders of our debt.

Edit - Just look at our first team squad and tell me we are not cutting fat.

Many are reporting £36m PLUS £20m add ons.

Regardless if the fee means anything to us or not, The going to have to be exceptional or mentally untouchable to put up with the scrutiny he's going to be under for that fee.

When a lot of the French football guys are saying technically he is great but it's the mental/consistency side of the game he struggles with it's a bit of a worry.

De Gea will be staying. Real do not want to pay a fee for him so will wait to get him on a free especially know De gea is happy to do so. De Gea is happy to stay in order to pick up a huge signing on fee. The only loser in this deal is United. De Gea should have done the decent thing of handing in transfer request in may.

When a lot of the French football guys are saying technically he is great but it's the mental/consistency side of the game he struggles with it's a bit of a worry.

Do you really expect much else from a 19 year old?

Podolski - under 2 million;

Pedro - 21 million;

Cech - 10 million;

Deulofeu - 4 million;

Adama Traore - 7 million;

Anthony Martial - 36 million :O :O

I think it is madness, he is undoubtedly a very bright player but he has 4 goals in 12 games for France U-21s, scored only 11 goals in a less competitive league last season. People are saying that he is worth this money because he got the better of Bellerin (who is also a 'rookie' in professional football terms and was even more inexperienced last year).

Podolski is a world cup winner, Pedro is a CL, WC and Euro winner, Cech has been a fantastic goalkeeper since 2004.

I would place him in the same bracket as Deulofeu and Traore in terms of experience and reputation (has shown quality but still plenty of room to develop) and look at the prices both have gone for...

Maybe they should send James Wilson on loan to France for him to grab a few goals and then sell him for a similar price...

What is the difference in quality between Martial, Hernandez, Wilson?

Podolski - under 2 million;

Pedro - 21 million;

Cech - 10 million;

Deulofeu - 4 million;

Adama Traore - 7 million;

Anthony Martial - 36 million :O :O

I think it is madness, he is undoubtedly a very bright player but he has 4 goals in 12 games for France U-21s, scored only 11 goals in a less competitive league last season. People are saying that he is worth this money because he got the better of Bellerin (who is also a 'rookie' in professional football terms and was even more inexperienced last year).

Podolski is a world cup winner, Pedro is a CL, WC and Euro winner, Cech has been a fantastic goalkeeper since 2004.

I would place him in the same bracket as Deulofeu and Traore in terms of experience and reputation (has shown quality but still plenty of room to develop) and look at the prices both have gone for...

Maybe they should send James Wilson on loan to France for him to grab a few goals and then sell him for a similar price...

What is the difference in quality between Martial, Hernandez, Wilson?

Only? He is just 19 and scored some of those goals when he was 18. Falcao struggled to get more than 4 goals altogether last season. Martial was not an automatic starter as well at first and sometimes he played out wide.

Did they make that much of a big deal about it back then?

I do remember players moving for the million but I don't think it was such a massive deal, when the deals hit the 10 million it was made out how crazy it was, they were right as well.

Now it seems it is normal to be spending 20, 30 million on a player, it is only when it hits the 100m now a big fuss is made.

Man City signed 2 players this summer for around the 50m mark each and hardly an eyebrow raised about it.

Oh yes. The furore over signing Robson for 1.5m was huge. Complete waste of money etc etc. of course time told the story on that one. Keane was another the press went to town over - 3.75m! If only these days. Now we're spending 36m on a player I've never heard of. Only Mata and Di Maria have cost more and least said about Di Maria the better I think. Other big spend players, Berbs and veron weren't ultimately successful. Rio and Rooney have been the only successful ones we've paid big bucks for iirc. Football has become silly money, when the TV costs get too much, I worry the bubble will burst.

Only? He is just 19 and scored some of those goals when he was 18. Falcao struggled to get more than 4 goals altogether last season. Martial was not an

automatic starter as well at first and sometimes he played out wide.

That is why I brought in the comparison with Deulofeu and Traore...

I am a neutral football fan and I have no doubt Martial is a good player and may well become a brilliant player, I hope he succeeds, I really do...

You cannot just assume because a player is younger that he will follow the same career trajectory as another...

My issue is not his age but simply the fact that he has not proven his quality in senior football over a sustained period..

When you buy a senior player the guarantee is that there will probably be another team willing to take a punt on him and recoup most of the fee - Di Maria - because he has shown that he can perform at the highest level and that his spell at Man Utd is a blip...

With Martial costing at least £36 million - you would expect given that you are paying for potential - he will be worth £100 million or become a player that delivers performances worth £100 million in his peak...

Adjusting for inflation over time it would place him in approx. the top 30 of world record transfers which is insanity for a 19 year old with 11 league goals...

Are you telling me that he is worth what Wayne Rooney was at the same age?

Despite all the posturing of telling everyone we're not going to sell him, we're selling him at the end of the window and getting Real's cast off? Excellent.

Exactly, it's like United are a shell of the Fergie era. It's a joke.

That is why I brought in the comparison with Deulofeu and Traore...

I am a neutral football fan and I have no doubt Martial is a good player and may well become a brilliant player, I hope he succeeds, I really do...

You cannot just assume because a player is younger that he will follow the same career trajectory as another...

My issue is not his age but simply the fact that he has not proven his quality in senior football over a sustained period..

When you buy a senior player the guarantee is that there will probably be another team willing to take a punt on him and recoup most of the fee - Di Maria - because he has shown that he can perform at the highest level and that his spell at Man Utd is a blip...

With Martial costing at least £36 million - you would expect given that you are paying for potential - he will be worth £100 million or become a player that delivers performances worth £100 million in his peak...

Adjusting for inflation over time it would place him in approx. the top 30 of world record transfers which is insanity for a 19 year old with 11 league goals...

Are you telling me that he is worth what Wayne Rooney was at the same age?

Fair enough but what I have seen from him, he reminds me very much of Henry. Monaco really don't play an attractive brand of football as well. Especially last season.

Archived