Playing the Match Engine vs Playing the Game

This thread isnt as much a question as it is a statement, and I'd like to get your opinions. If this has already been discussed please let me know. So I'm in January in a save with Southampton and I feel as if I've realized that there is two distinctly differing ways to play this game. One can play the game or one can play the match engine. I think the ME finds it nearly impossible to defend against overwhelming vertical attacks regardless of the quality of your players. This is my tactic and instructions:

https://gyazo.com/faec466a48f31afe4fc4c21ab5c67ea5

https://gyazo.com/570ebc14b9046c39ca2b176162b729af

With this tactic I am 10 points clear of Chelsea with only 1 loss, coming away at Chelsea. I just feel as if with this tactic I'm not even playing the game as much as just pressing the spacebar when it comes to tactics. Sure, the Saints should be challenging for Europa league, but shouldnt be storming the league like this. I've also had the same experience with Pescara in Italy, with a vertical, higher tempo tactic with many attack duties. I just feel like the ME, though one can create different types of tactics highly promotes this type of style of play. I just wanted to get the communities thoughts on that.

Out of interest do you use any PI's. Also, while some may 'play the game' as seen in some of the threads on this site, such as a recreation of real life manager tactics etc, I would say more use tactics that 'play the match engine'. For example, one 3 ST tactics on another website has over 300,000 views.

No, I don't use any PI's, but yeah I agree with you in that far more people play the match engine than the game, so to speak. I just find playing the actual game far more rewarding then playing the match engine. Thats just me though

It's pretty widely agreed that a load of verticality stresses the defence too much. Your system isn't an outright exploitative one, in the vein of multi-striker chaos you see on some sites, so it's still a plausible system - to my eyes at least. Defensively is where FM needs to kick on a bit, as it is too easy to overwhelm a defence. I hope it's nailed for FM16 and I actually hope it creates frustration on the forum because I want it to be hard to score and I want the balance between attack and defence to be improved.

It's pretty widely agreed that a load of verticality stresses the defence too much. Your system isn't an outright exploitative one, in the vein of multi-striker chaos you see on some sites, so it's still a plausible system - to my eyes at least. Defensively is where FM needs to kick on a bit, as it is too easy to overwhelm a defence. I hope it's nailed for FM16 and I actually hope it creates frustration on the forum because I want it to be hard to score and I want the balance between attack and defence to be improved.

I totally agree RT, I feel like one shouldnt have to handicap themselves to play the game.

Couldn't of explained this any better tbh.

Archived