David Beckham - A Returning Legend SOMS #8 - We Did It!

FunnySeaSider

Before I post the update I'll just explain what this is. The idea of this save is to take on the role of David Beckham as a manager and eventually return to every club he played for (LA Galaxy, PSG, Man Utd, Milan, Real Madrid and Preston). I want to try and do at least 5 years with every club before I rotate around again. I have no specific goals for each of these clubs but I will try to take them as far as I can during my tenures and hopefully win a few trophies along the way.

What's happened so far? - Season 1 - Well I didn't actually document my first season in this save and the second season I'm midway through and have been posting updates on Reddit (links will be provided). I joined LA Galaxy for my first season and it didn't go too well. We really struggled with a number of injuries and I was eventually sacked a month or so before the end of the MLS season. Now if I get sacked during this save (which is very likely to happen every now and then :cool: ) I will only be looking to join one of these clubs. However if no opportunities arise after a year for whatever reason, I will join a random club just until a vacancy opens up elsewhere.

Season 2 - So after being sacked from the MLS I was out of work for 4-5 months. Fortunately PSG's former manager left them to join another side and I was able to swoop in and seal a deal. I won't go into too much detail about how it's gone so far (if you want to take a look at the updates, links will be provided) but in short we're doing well. We're right up there mixing it up with a very competitive top 4. We scraped through to the Champions League knockout round, are through to a cup final and are contesting the title in Ligue 1.

We made three notable signings in the summer with Nemanja Matic, Ross Barkley and Wilfred Zaha all joining the club, all of whom have performed exceptionally well so far.

Right on to the latest update!

David Beckham - A Returning Legend SOMS #8 - We Did It!

http://imgur.com/a/8owhW - Update #8 screenshot album

Fresh off the loss to Lyon I wanted to bounce back with a win. We did just that and were actually 3-0 up by halftime thank to a brace from Lavezzi and one from Pastore. Ibra did pick up another injury but it wasn't serious thankfully. He really has had a tough season with injuries. Our next game was away to Stade Malherbe Caen who played pretty well. Thiago Silva put us 1-0 up very early on and Di Maria scored what proved to be the winner half an hour later. This win took us back up to 2nd place. A little bit of news from across the pond let us know that Korkmaz won Comeback Player of the Year in the MLS. He was a centre back I signed in my season at LA Galaxy. It was finally crunch time in the Champions League. We were 3rd in the group, a point behind Salzburg which meant anything less than a wn would knock us out. Javier Pastore was able to capitalise on a Salzburg red card and scored the winner 70 minutes in. David Luiz suffered fractured ribs and will be out for 5 weeks. He's barely played this season. I think he has perhaps 3 starts to his name? Some interesting news from across the French leagues was that Zidane had left FC Nantes in Ligue 2 and was now in Ligue 1 managing AS Nancy Lorraine. We then had a home match against Stade Rennais which we won comfortably 3-0. Ibra scored the first and Di Maria grabbed a second. Ross Barkley had a phenomenal game, setting up the first two goals and scoring his own in the second half. Our final game of the month was in the 4th round of the Coupe de la Ligue against Auxerre. They had their chances but we were a little more clinical. Cavani and Pastore scored either side of the break to secure a 2-0 win. We've been drawn against Bordeaux in the next round. The Champions League draw wasn't kind to us at all and we've been drawn against Manchester City. It'll be tough. I'm going to try and keep tabs on all my past and future clubs (LA Galaxy, PSG, Man Utd, Milan and Preston) so here is the MLS review for the 2015 season. (see pic in album) Real Salt Lake surprisingly won the MLS Supporters' Shield and Montreal Impact won the MLS Cup. Not surprised to see Pirlo with the highest number of assists.

Previous updates

https://www.reddit.com/r/footballmanagergames/comments/3h3hdx/david_beckham_a_returning_legend_soms_1/ Update #1

https://www.reddit.com/r/footballmanagergames/comments/3h49hg/david_beckham_a_returning_legend_soms_2/ Update #2

https://www.reddit.com/r/footballmanagergames/comments/3h4wlq/david_beckham_a_returning_legend_soms_3/ Update #3

https://www.reddit.com/r/footballmanagergames/comments/3h5ly6/david_beckham_a_returning_legend_soms_4/ Update #4

https://www.reddit.com/r/footballmanagergames/comments/3h7kim/david_beckham_a_returning_legend_soms_5/ Update #5

https://www.reddit.com/r/footballmanagergames/comments/3h8x90/david_beckham_a_returning_legend_soms_6_tough/ Update #6

https://www.reddit.com/r/footballmanagergames/comments/3haxaj/david_beckham_a_returning_legend_soms_7_more/ Update #7

As always I'd love to hear if you're enjoying these updates and please feel free to post any suggestions on what you want to see next! :)

David Beckham - A Returning Legend SOMS #9 - You must be Blind!

http://imgur.com/a/wGxZR #9 album

This is a pretty big update but it's Janauary which is always a pretty big month in terms of transfers, cup draws etc.

I've included some screencaps of the awards handed out for 2015. It's no surprise that Messi won the Balon but there was a surprise in the Team of the Year. Carlos Tevez was included despite playing for Boca Juniors. I went and checked his stats and he's scored about 25 goals and assisted 10 or so already this season!

Right the first bit of PSG news is that we mutually termnated Rafael Garcia's contract. I brought him along with me from LA Galaxy and he hasn't featured at all in the first team. Oh well! We also received news that Augustin, on loan at Palermo, would be out for 2 months with a dislocated shoulder.

Our first match of the month was in the French cup against SA Merignac. It was probably a little harsh to play our full team but I did anyway and we won 6-0. Two hat tricks, one from Cavani and one from Insigne.

Moving on with a bit of transfer news, Ibra signed a new 1 year deal with the club. He hasn't featured much this season mainly due to injury but Cavani has kept him well out of the starting eleven. I couldn't possibly part (willingly) with him though so we will be keeping him on!

Our first departure of the month saw Manu Trigueros join Swansea for £8.5 million. He wasn't getting in th side with the likes of Matic, Luiz, Pastore etc. playing so well and we managed to get most of our money back for him.

Our first league match of January saw another top notch display of young English talent. Ross Barkley scored twice to give us a 2-1 away win over Racing Club de Lens.

I decided to let Alexandre Demirdjan leave on a free to Inter Milan. He wasn't a player that excited me and I know we have much better youngsters coming through. Speaking of youngsters I managed to sign Pierrer Ouvry, 16 year old keeper, on a professional contract. I'm quite excited with this one because he already has some fantastic stats. Future replacement for Sirigu perhaps? Hmm

Now it was our turn to bring someone in. I had difficulty selecting a player to bring in. The losses to Chelsea earlier in the season and the recent drop off in the league made me think that we need somone to come in and shake up the squad a bit. Someone who will contend for a place. That person is Daley Blind. We managed to sign him on a 4 year deal from United for £25 million. The thing I like about Blind is his ability to play almost anywhere at the back and in midfield. A great utility signing in my opinion.

Blind made his debut straight away at left back in the quarter final of Coupe de la Ligue. It was a fairly comfortable 3-1 win over Bordeaux, Cavani netting twice and Zaha also scoring one.

Maxwell decided to mutually terminate his contract as well. He was actually set to retire at the end of this season.

Another frustrating league game in which we threw away points we should really be picking up. 0-0 with Montpellier wasn't what I had in mind. On top of that Thiago Silva picked up an injury sidelining him for 5 weeks.

Our next league game was against GFC Ajaccio who are mid table. Carlos Vela scored 2 minutes in and Matuidi scored another towards the end of play. He also picked up a thigh strain which will keep him out for 2-3 weeks.

More transfer news! 20 year old midfielder Rabiot joined Gent on loan until the end of the season and 22 year old goalkeeper Mory Diaw left the club after his contract ran out.

I decided to jump back into the market before the wndow shut to take a quick look at any promising youth prospects. I found a couple but we only managed to close a deal for one of them. Neal Maupay has joined on a 3 year contract for £8 million. He's an 18 year old striker with some pretty decent stats already. I've loaned him out to Valenciennes until the end of the season to get some game time.

I've included a transfer round up screenshot for Ligue 1 and the English Premier league in the album. No major movements apart from Daley Blind. Bring on February!

David Beckham - A Returning Legend SOMS #10 - So tight!

http://imgur.com/a/urxgT #10 album

I was lost for words after this performance. We had a top of the table clash in the Coupe de la Ligue semi final against Lyon. Last time we played them we got walloped 3-0 so I wasn't expecting much. They were all over us again in the first half but somehow we found a way through and Pastore gave us a first half lead. Cavani made it 2-0 after an hour and we hung on to secure the win and knock out Lyon. From one cup to the next! We had our French Cup 10th round match against St Etienne. It was Ander Iturraspe who scored and secured the win for us. I'm determined to win at least one trophy in my first season. Back to the league and it was time to face 5th placed Monaco. Falcao opened the scoring after 20 minutes but David Luiz equalised with 10 minutes to go. This is our 6th draw of the season. I have a feeling these dropped points will come back to haunt us. Our next league game was against bottom of the table AS Nancy Lorraine. It took 52 minutes for us to break through with Zaha tucking an effort away. Angel Di Maria double our lead 20 minutes later to lft us above Monaco and back into 3rd place. This next result was a disappointing one. Marseille had an awful start to the season but they gradually picked up the results and climbed up the table. Now they are one of the top 5. Two goals in 8 minutes gave them an early 2-0 lead. Cavani got one back for us and we went into the break 2-1 down. We changed a few things and played a lot better in the second half. We could have got another goal back but an own goal from Marquinhos put the match to bed. 3-1 was the final score to Marseille who moved up to 2nd. A bit of news from across Europe came through about a possible take over situation at AC Milan who are of course one of the clubs we will eventually end up at. We'll see if that goes through at all. Next up was our Coupe de la Ligue quarter final tie against Toulouse. The first 90 minutes were fairly evening and it ended up 0-0. Extra time proved to be the same so we went straight into our first penalty shoot out of the season. It went on for a little while until Toulouse missed their 10th penalty. Wilfred Zaha was the man who converted PSG's 10th penalty and won the cup tie. A 3-0 win against Angers saw us move up to 2nd in the league. The tightness of the top 5 is unbelievable. Every week the order changes. Daley Blind scored his first goal for PSG this match. Di Maria and Juan Jesus got the other 2 goals. After scraping through the Champions League group stage it was time to play the first leg of our knockout match against Manchester City. We were appalling in the first half and it took Higuain just 6 minutes to open the scoring for City. I felt quite agrrieved that it stayed 1-0 because we fully deserved to come out with something after a rampant second half. At the very least it gave me confidence that we could go to the Etihad and get a result. Our final league match of the month was a fairly easy one. Edison Cavani was right on form again as he netted a 25 minute hat trick. So at the end of the month we've reduced the gap on top of the table Lyon to just 6 points. We sit in 2nd on 63 points with Marseille, Saint Etienne and Monaco all just 1 point behind.

David Beckham - A Returning Legend SOMS #11 - New format

http://imgur.com/a/lMaPT - Screenshots

March 2016

PSG 3-1 SC Bastia (Matuidi 2, Vela 12, Di Maria 43 - Sagbo 72) Ligue 1

PSG 4-0 LOSC (Matuidi 23,55, Barkley 32, Marquinhos 43) Ligue 1

AS Nancy Lorraine 1-4 PSG (Lenglet 54 - Cavani 5,84, Insigne 45'+1, Di Maria 89) Ligue 1

Man City(3) 2-1 (1)PSG (Aguero 24, Higuain 89 - Barkley 85) Champions League 1st Knockout Round

PSG 1-0 Bordeaux (Cavani 39) Ligue 1

In terms of the league it was a very good month. I was surprised at how easily we turned over Lille but there you go. The Champions League exit was disappointing because again we played well. Clearly we're still lacking just that little bit of quality that other European teams have.

We're up to 2nd in the league, 3 points behind Lyon so the title race is very much still on!

League position

1 Lyon 75

2 PSG 72

3 OM 69

4 Monaco 65

5 Saint Etienne 63

6 Bordeaux 54

Elsewhere the AC Milan take over went through. It'll be interesting to keep an eye on how they do.

Archived