Basque-ing in Bilbao (I know, how cliché)

False 9

Introduction

For my last save for this Football Manager, I will be Athletic Bilbao. Why? Well, I want to bring European football success to the club as they are yet to win either the Champions League or Europa League, with the closest they have came to winning the Europa League was in 2012 when they lost in the Finals to Atlético Madrid. The same year they famously beat Man United convincingly over two legs, becoming football hipsters favourite team.

Countries/Leagues Loaded

England Sky Bet League 2

France Ligue 2

Germany 2. Bundesliga

Italy Serie B

Portugal Liga Nos

Spain Segunda Division B

For my database, I have chosen a large database as I don't really need South America as I will only be able to sign Basque or Spanish u16's, as I am sure you guys know. :)

Tactics

g4geOmU.png

I hope you guys enjoy and choose to follow this thread. I am currently in January of the first season so I will post shorter updates until I catch up with myself, thanks.

Transfers

Except for a major overhaul of my staff, I brought in four players, all regens, as I added 'add players to playable to teams, mostly due to my love for regens.

Mike Sesma

Unai Uranga

Kerman Royo

Galder Artola

I feel I got very lucky with the regens that I have singed, as I believe they could all play for me in the future. Likewise, I have always found keepers the most difficult postion to fill in a long term Bilbao save, so hopefully this will not be a problem with Artola.

As I am half a season in front, I will just give a brief overview and add more detail as I go.

Tu3c2vW.jpg

As you can see, we have so far surpassed expectations with us in 3rd and 5 points behind Real Madrid, but with two games in hand. Our one loss came to Madrid where we were comfortably beaten 2-0, with very few chances for us. In the Supercopa we lost 4-3 in the first leg, but in the return leg to the Camp Nou nearly their whole team was missing due to international football. I am not sure if this is because I am using the LFC Marshall update, but I didn't mind as they played nearly a full team of kids and we easily beat them 4-0, sounds familiar...

o5s9oqi.png

We were also very dominant in the Europa League group stage where we won every game, finishing with a goal difference of 17, with us only conceding 2 goals. We have Metalist next round, where I expect us to comfortably progress.

Copa del Rey wise, with my concentrations been on the league and European football and a limited squad, I fielded a very weak team against Sporting in the first leg where we lost 3-1 away, while I would like us to at least reach the quarter finals, it is not my main aim.

January Transfers

So, two big transfers have happened in the month of January with Laporte's £31 million release clause been activated by Man United.

AOdJPpw.png

Although, Laporte has been replaced by Inigo Martinez for his release clause of £22.5 million.

mBjPVC0.png

Real Madrid have also been bidding for Muniain, however, thankfully I managed to get him to sign a new contract, with a slightly larger release clause.

Archived