Is there a magic recipe for getting penalties?

With 3 games to go in the 2022 Premier League season, Chelsea has converted 8 penalties while I have converted 1. And its not due to missing, at most I've had 2 penalties all season. But we are basically even in goals for.

I've noticed that this year's FM, players stick around a lot longer, basically all the big stars have really high natural fitness and that combined with mental stats means guys like Diego Costa and Ronaldo are playing into their late 30s as stars. Is getting penalties all about mental stats? Chelsea are loaded with old players with crazy mental stats.

I get around 10 or so penalties a season. That's because I play into the box. Rarely are goals scored from outside. I also play with possession, and where as I can tare my hair out when they don't shoot and choose instead to recycle the ball, it does mean all that added time in the box means fouls on my players are common place.

If you really want more pens, then look at where your assists are coming from. Mine are in the box. But that's the way I play. My team doesn't stretch defences, it plays tip tap around them. If your team does the opposite I wouldn't go changing just for a penalty's sake.

Archived