Timed tactical changes

I was just wondering if anyone else feels that it would be a good idea to have pre-set tactical changes that take affect at different times during each match? Currently I tend to make the same changes during a match at the same times. For instance, I have three tactical systems that are based around the same formation. I start each match with a Control mentality, if I concede I change it to a system that has an attacking mentality, if I take the lead I change it to a system using a Counter mentality.

I think it would be more realistic to have these changes pre-set before the game as this is all a manager can do IRL. Keep the shouts to make small changes though as IRL.

A couple of examples of periods of the game that I would like to use different tactics are;

First 10 minutes of the match

If we fall behind by a single goal

If we fall behind by two goals

If we take the lead by a single goal

If we take the lead by two goals

Beginning of the second half if drawing

Beginning of the second half if winning

Beginning of the second half if losing

Last 10 minutes of the match if drawing

Last 10 minutes of the match if winning

Last 10 minutes of the match if losing

If opposition are down to ten men

If we are down to ten men

I think it would be more realistic to have these changes pre-set before the game

It would save you time and effort, but please, realistic? Er, no.

You can do all that on FM Classic, by setting up instructions pre-match to cover these eventualities, but I think that's only used in conjunction with Instant Result so that you still have a certain amount of control over the outcome.

I can see why you might find it beneficial, but it's just laziness really. I mean, how long would it take you to make those sorts of changes in game when needed? A couple of seconds.

For instance, I have three tactical systems that are based around the same formation. I start each match with a Control mentality, if I concede I change it to a system that has an attacking mentality, if I take the lead I change it to a system using a Counter mentality.

Just wanted to comment on this part.

The idea of having three saved tactics/formations is so you can have three different setups, not the same formation with three different mentalities.

For instance in my three slots I have three different shapes, atm they are 352 Wingbacks, 442 & 4132.

If you just want to change mentality during a match you simply change it, you don't need a separate saved tactic for it. Its much like making a sub, nothing more.

From a position of realism I like what this system would bring to the planning & preparation element of managing a football team, if you ask a team that lacks adaptability or general intelligence to deviate from what has been drilled during training then the penalties could be a lot harsher than they currently appear to be.

Personally being able to make constant minor tweaks or even major tactical changes during a match has always struck me as being beyond what a manager would & could do irl however it's a fair concession for the sake of FM being a fun game to play.

It would save you time and effort, but please, realistic? Er, no.

You can do all that on FM Classic, by setting up instructions pre-match to cover these eventualities, but I think that's only used in conjunction with Instant Result so that you still have a certain amount of control over the outcome.

I can see why you might find it beneficial, but it's just laziness really. I mean, how long would it take you to make those sorts of changes in game when needed? A couple of seconds.

IRL managers so often say that they spend a week preparing the team but once they are sent out on to the pitch there is not a lot that can be done. Managers can only make small changes during a match, it would be very difficult to change a system completely by shouting orders to a couple of players near the touchline.

Just wanted to comment on this part.

The idea of having three saved tactics/formations is so you can have three different setups, not the same formation with three different mentalities.

For instance in my three slots I have three different shapes, atm they are 352 Wingbacks, 442 & 4132.

If you just want to change mentality during a match you simply change it, you don't need a separate saved tactic for it. Its much like making a sub, nothing more.

I have three systems that are based around the same formation, there is more than just mentality changes. There is some small position changes as well as team/player instructions.

Archived