Help for development

In 18 years with Derby(winning premiership and champions league) I have never had a wonderkid or even anybody who has progressed through the ranks to push for a regular place. I have replaced previous coaches with better ones over time in both under 21.s and 18,s. Is it worthwhile to loan young players out when your backroom staff mention it during backroom staff meetings. I have had success when I had bought young players as recommended by my scouts(18 year olds)and they have turned into 4.5/4 stars but no luck producing my own

Loaning youth products out gets a bad rap as it usually isn't as productive as keeping them in your own squad and tailoring their education yourself.

As for the youth quality, it's purely down to luck. In England the youth quality tends to be around Championship level on average, even with the best youth facilities and so on. There are ways around it, for example, establishing links with high quality nations such as Brazil to try and pick up some of their youth. But short of maximising youth recruitment and training there's not much more you can do as it is a lottery.

My rules for youth development:

Coaching:

- Have youth team coaches with 18+ working with youngsters and assure good star ratings with low workload across all categories

- When possible, have coaches with the same playing philosophies as me (e.g. preferred formation, coaching style and so on)

Head of Youth Development:

- Must have 20 (or very close to) working with youngsters

- Must have extremely high judging actual and potential ability stats

- Must have positive personality, ideally for me, model pro, pro or resolute as I understand that the players coming through in your youth intakes will be more likely to share this personality.

- Preferably have high technical/tactical coaching attributes as I want players coming through who are strong in those areas.

Under 18s Manager:

- Must have same playing philosophies as me

- Must have positive personality

- Must have extremely high working with youngsters

- Must have a strong DDM (determination, level of discipline, motivating)

- Ideally have a good coaching category

Must have highest possible level of youth facilities, youth recruitment, junior coaching and scouting range.

To my knowledge, the HOYD, facilities, scouting range, junior coaching and youth recruitment affect the players coming into your system. There's no guarantees, but I believe this puts the odds in your favour of getting a couple of players with a high PA. Once at the club, the facilities, coaches, tutoring and playing experience then affect whether the player reaches their PA.

Beyond that, it just comes down to luck!

My rules for youth development:

Coaching:

- Have youth team coaches with 18+ working with youngsters and assure good star ratings with low workload across all categories

- When possible, have coaches with the same playing philosophies as me (e.g. preferred formation, coaching style and so on)

Head of Youth Development:

- Must have 20 (or very close to) working with youngsters

- Must have extremely high judging actual and potential ability stats

- Must have positive personality, ideally for me, model pro, pro or resolute as I understand that the players coming through in your youth intakes will be more likely to share this personality.

- Preferably have high technical/tactical coaching attributes as I want players coming through who are strong in those areas.

Under 18s Manager:

- Must have same playing philosophies as me

- Must have positive personality

- Must have extremely high working with youngsters

- Must have a strong DDM (determination, level of discipline, motivating)

- Ideally have a good coaching category

Must have highest possible level of youth facilities, youth recruitment, junior coaching and scouting range.

To my knowledge, the HOYD, facilities, scouting range, junior coaching and youth recruitment affect the players coming into your system. There's no guarantees, but I believe this puts the odds in your favour of getting a couple of players with a high PA. Once at the club, the facilities, coaches, tutoring and playing experience then affect whether the player reaches their PA.

Beyond that, it just comes down to luck!

great post bowieinspace, but in my opinion we need to diffirentiate Head of Youth Development and Under-18 Manager responsibilities. What are their real duties? Who is more responsible to acquire youngster with great PA? Who is more responsible to let them to reach their potential?

great post bowieinspace, but in my opinion we need to diffirentiate Head of Youth Development and Under-18 Manager responsibilities. What are their real duties? Who is more responsible to acquire youngster with great PA? Who is more responsible to let them to reach their potential?

I believe the influence of who comes through in the youth intake is dependent on who you select as responsible for this on the 'staff responsibilities' tab. Personally for me this is my HOYD, then the under 18s manager does his thing looking after the under 18s squad (which to be fair, on my teams is pretty limited as I do some things myself).

Also to further the above, I believe junior coaching affects the CA of players coming into your youth intake, and youth recruitment affects the PA of players coming in to be a little more precise. There's some great guides out there on youth development and some very knowledgable people on here who I've no doubt can expand on what I've said.

Archived