Greece Euro 2004 HELP :)

Hi Everybody

I really admire when small teams, "Overachieves" or at least does the unexpected. So as a Dane the 1992 Euros are massive for me, but more so i would love to recreate the tactic that Otto Rehhagel used with Greece to win the Euros in 2004. But i have not really been able to find any articles about the team, only one from zonal marking which did not have enough info i feel. So if any of you guys know where i can find some articles or anything else about it, i would appreciate it. :)

Hi,

I would love to see your vision in Football Manager language about this. Anyway I searched the Googles for you and found perhaps some interesting articles.

Angelos Charisteas

Oh man, this guy. The anti-hero of the Euros that year. When he made the transfer to Ajax I was quite happy. A strong header and big guy. The only problem was he couldn't play football at all.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/aug/13/golden-goal-angelos-charisteas-greece-portugal-euro-2004-final

Good post about the tactic

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/03/29/greece-euro-2004-tactics/

A headline of that time why they have reached the final

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2004/jul/03/euro2004.sport4

Another blog about the Heroes

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2015/06/01/the-greatest-teams-greeces-triumph-at-euro-2004/

Der General seems like a really good idea, any idea where i would be able to find the games?

Well they are hard to come by. You could have some luck with finding the official dvd release of that tournament.

I did find this website which looks like a huge database on old football matches.

http://www.soccervideos.eu/euro2004.htm

If you go to the homepage of this site, the owner describes it like this:

Welcome to: www.soccervideos.eu

About 7 years ago i start collecting old traditional soccermatches. My first complete historic footballmatch was the 1970 final of the Champions Cup 1970 between Feyenoord and Celtic.

From that moment on i discovered that good old times of that beautifull game called FOOTBALL. From that day on i started to collect old football matches. Now a days i have a very large collection with more then 9000 soccermatches. You can find all these matches on this website. If you also want to see a match it is a pleasure for me to send you these!!

So I'm not really sure how this works, but you could give it a try if you want to watch the matches.

Good luck!

I've always wanted to play like that Greek team. That zonal marking article inspired a number of my sides years ago. I think really the core take of it is a defensive side that is pretty direct, keeps its shape but adjusts it's shape according to the opposition.

That Greek win was a miracle tho, long term I don't think it could sustain those results and in a league format it would achieve a pretty mediocre position.

Try this....

4-3-3 when facing teams playing with one striker

GK (D)

FB (A) - more risky passes, more direct passing

CD ©

CD (D)

FB (S) - more risky passes, more direct passing

DLP (D)

CM (S) - run with ball

BWM (S)

RD (A) - close down more, tackle harder

IF (A) - close down more, tackle harder

CF (S) - close down more, tackle harder

Counter/structured

Try this....

4-3-3 when facing teams playing with one striker

GK (D)

FB (A) - more risky passes, more direct passing

CD ©

CD (D)

FB (S) - more risky passes, more direct passing

DLP (D)

CM (S) - run with ball

BWM (S)

RD (A) - close down more, tackle harder

IF (A) - close down more, tackle harder

CF (S) - close down more, tackle harder

Counter/structured

I would guess in general that tactic is still too attacking, though it would depend.

I'd go with a 451 with one wide mid on attack and cut inside, the other on support . The striker I'd have as a DLF or something on support.

I'd also go with a defensive mentality, direct football, more disciplined.

They played with 2 strikers. One of them (Charisteas) clearly a Target man as an outlet for the long balls played from defence. I think the other one was a complete striker (also a big guy in terms of physical).

In my opinion it would look a bit like this:

Wcz73YJ.png

My Greek isn't that good to be honest. Do you know what team they played against in that formation?

In my opinion Charisteas was nowhere near being good enough to play the role of a DLF. I've seen him play in real life and believe me, he was a as we say in the Netherlands Kapstok (coatstand).

greece4.jpg

Do you know what team they played against in that formation?

In my opinion Charisteas was nowhere near being good enough to play the role of a DLF. I've seen him play in real life and believe me, he was a as we say in the Netherlands Kapstok (coatstand).

greece4.jpg

Its the starting line-up against Portugal in the final (without Karagounis)

And yes i agree with you that Charisteas was not good enough to play any role !!!( he had good jumping and heading and thats all), but thats not the theme of the O.P.

@Sebva

I appreciate the link to the video website but i have no idea of how to download the matches, do you have any idea maybe :)

I think you need to mail the owner of the site. At least that's what I make out of it. He will then provide a link to the match or maybe a download link? I myself haven't used the site so I can't really account of it, but if you are gonna try it, could you please tell us (me) how it went.

If it works like intended it would be a great site and tool for getting info on teams and formations!

You should always aim to have a spare man at the back, but also cover the remaining threats. It is quite obvious that against France they played a deep 4-3-1-2, while against Portugal, it was something between 4-5-1 and 4-4-2. Roles of your defensive players should be tailored to counter specific threats (eg. Seitaridis staying back to stop Henry from having too much space), making this defence look like 3-man version. I'd start with Defensive/Rigid, with roles that could exploit the flanks (see Zagorakis vs. France). Think about closing all ways to your goal before attacking. And develop a good set piece routine, which is an essential part of their success. I was thinking about a project like this when FM16 is out, so I'll keep following this thread.

Jfhgaming

Inspired by your thread and this concept I actually started a game based around this. Is it OK if I post some results and findings? I don't mean to hijack your thread so if you don't want that, I can make my own:)

@DerGeneral

Yes, I think a corner routine would also be essential! This was a huge part of their success.

@Der General: you are very good

OK,

7 defensive-mind players

4 in the back(Fyssas-Dellas-Kapsis-Seitaridis)

Dellas was playing as a libero behind the defenders

the other 2 or 3 man-to-man (in the final Fyssas-Figo ,Seitaridis-Ronaldo,Kapsis-Pauleta)

vs France-Czech Kapsis-Trezeguet/Koller Seitaridis-Henry/Baros

Fyssas without man mark and he could go up front

Zonal marking from Katsouranis-Basinas-Zagorakis

Hi All,

This will be my (tiny) story about my adventures in Greece. I wanted to play like Greece did in the 2004 Euro Championships which they won. Because I wanted to try a tactic I didn’t chose for the Greece national team but instead I randomly chose a Greek side playing in the national competition.

At random my fate has been linked with PAOK. I’m playing FM2014 and the year before they’ve managed to place themselves for the Champions League. In all of FM I think I’ve never played with a Greek side before so I was looking for some help.

The best thing you can do then is ask the big boss of Greece himself: Otto Rehhagel. Well he wasn’t very interested in the job but he did mention his son Jens Rehhagel. So I used the identity of his son a semi-professional footballer in his days and he had a big plus in choosing him as my identity. He was German so we get a +1 in the match engine with scoring in extra time. A thing that could come in handy since we would use a very defending tactic.

Without further ado here is the tactic I created and played with in the friendlies:

FSpuK6T.png

In terms of positioning it looked like this:

4gXQi0z.png

I was quite happy with that, but there was a huge gap between the attacking wing back which concerned me. However the results were alright minus the game versus Wolfsburg when they “Greeced” me. Two corners and a penalty and it was game over.

tr0gRy0.png

I had to play Champions League play-off matches and the opponent was Zenith St. Petersburg. A club I’m not really font of and I always have a difficult time against them. But hey let them come and maybe we can counter them to pieces!

And that’s exactly what we did. We let them come and when there was a possibility we would use the counter.

zEQ0200.png

That looks pretty sweet huh? Blue being Zenith and white being Paok.

Well it isn’t always rainbows and butterflies. End result:

7f8T1Ni.png

This will be a hard one to win in the second leg and reach the group stage of the Champions League, but we did score 2 goals.

The home game versus Zenith I used the same approach. Let them Russians come and hit them on the counter. Again we had good opportunities.

45VtmmT.png

End result: A Whopping 1-4 that’s right 1-4! Unfortunately not for us though:\

Jw2FjA2.png

And of course clear cut chances doesn’t tell the whole story of the matches. If I look at the shots they were clearly better but that is part of my tactic. Let them shoot from far. The only thing that worked in my disadvantage was that they had a player called Hulk. Well long story short, he could hit them.

6Zv6rHh.png

W02zWf5.png

Out of the Champions League but ready for the national competition!

In the words of good old Blatter “Let’s go Paok, Let’s go Paok”. And man we went charging in like a bull on a red cloth. Unfortunately it lasted for one game.

iKJHNB3.png

My topscorer after these games was my CB Miguel Victor with 4 goals. One perfect header from a corner and three own goals. At least he tried. About the matches themselves I’ve put in the match stats from every game.

6KrDNWd.png

ElTGdvM.png

Y7kVOLL.png

B9ZQIHq.png

3HCbOBb.png

To be fair it was that bad. But I felt some changes needed to be made and I switched to this formation.

iMJcNTI.png

This one worked pretty well but I think the negative spiral was set in action and there wasn’t much I could do about that.

pMISOwc.png

We produced some decent results but the pressure was just too high. The match I was most pleased about was versus Trabzonspor.

KTW38mN.png

This was the thing I was looking for and I think this fits in the tactic of Greece in 2004.

But unfortunately the “magic” between Jens, Paok and the board was over and they were very happy to kick me on the street. They even let me keep the lease car so I wouldn’t make any problems.

780hcYe.png

The career of Coach Jens Rehhagel lasted 110 days and this was his victory sheet.

Qd1BJgK.png

Conclusions

Positives

· Defensive football can work and maybe it can’t be brought in so rude and instantly

· Paok I feel wasn’t that good of a team to pick, since they were rated high in their competition and where expected to dominate most of the games. Some matches turned in to a cold war because of this.

· It always brought a little tear of joy in my eye when I saw this commentary at half time: “what a horrible and boring first half, we hope the second half is better”. This made Jens proud and warm on the inside!

Negatives

· The flanks where too easy to control by the enemy team. They’ve scored so many first post flick ons, the way I wanted to score.

· Perhaps it was better to pick the Greece national team so I couldn’t select the players I wanted to use for this special tactic.

· I’m not allowed to go to Greece since my period at Paok and they have hung a picture of mine at every airport and borderline patrol in Greece.

It will be a long time since someone will overturn this success and I’m challenging you all to prove it! Without the sarcasm I would say I’ve found it a fun experiment to do and I hope this kind of football is still possible nowadays.

Cheers! Seb

Archived