What does "show the player on [right/left] foot"?

I'm confused by the opposition instruction "show the player on left/right/weaker foot".

What does this OI mean? What does word "show" mean here?

Dictionary is not helpful unfortunately.

To expand on what Cougar has said you should be using it to either try and force a specific player to use his weak foot, or at least make it more difficult for him to use his strong foot, or if your tactic is weak in a specific area then you can use it to try and keep certain players away from there.

For example my usual tactic is very strong defensively through the middle but my centre backs are both pretty terrible at dealing with crosses, so I want to be showing my opponents right wing onto his left foot and their left wing onto his right foot, that way the easiest option for both of them is to cut inside which plays into the strengths of my tactic.

To expand on what Cougar has said you should be using it to either try and force a specific player to use his weak foot, or at least make it more difficult for him to use his strong foot, or if your tactic is weak in a specific area then you can use it to try and keep certain players away from there.

For example my usual tactic is very strong defensively through the middle but my centre backs are both pretty terrible at dealing with crosses, so I want to be showing my opponents right wing onto his left foot and their left wing onto his right foot, that way the easiest option for both of them is to cut inside which plays into the strengths of my tactic.

Thanks. What is exactly the way that my players can "force" the opposition player to use his weak foot?

Thanks. What is exactly the way that my players can "force" the opposition player to use his weak foot?

It's all to do with positioning.

If I'm trying to force a winger to cut inside then I want to position myself between him and the wide areas, so the easy route for him to take is to go away from me and towards the middle of the pitch.

Of course, if a defensive player has poor positioning they're going to struggle with this, and obviously just because you're trying to force your opponent to do a specific thing doesn't mean that they will, a good enough player can still do what they like even if you're trying to force them to do something else.

So what is the downside to setting "show onto weaker foot" opposition instruction for the whole enemy team?

It might not suit your formation/tactical approach.

It also might play into the hands of the opposition team.

If a player has two strongish feet showing him onto his weaker foot might still be a strong foot.

It's a bit like 'use tight marking'. Good players will find ways to turn you no matter how tight you may be. Showing a good player onto his weaker foot, he may just beat you and use his stronger foot anyway, or find ways to use his stronger foot regardless, a la Giggs.

So what is the downside to setting "show onto weaker foot" opposition instruction for the whole enemy team?

Not every player is weak on both feet, so it might have limited effect but also sometimes you can create your own problems. You may end up funneling opposition players into a position your team is weak defensively. If your team is very effective at dealing with crosses then setting the oppositions wide men to weaker foot and forcing them in centrally you may have good, but relatively slow defenders and you could then be adding more pacey movement through the middle which exposes them.

There's no right answer but rather how an opposition player is playing and what you want to try to force him to do when he is on the ball to make your own life easier.

Archived