The Ultimate Football Manager Challenge - Silver Age Archive

10 hours ago, Ethan_X_02 said:

Are you sure the rules are still a maximum of 5 foreigners registered? The rules can change for registration, and it may be in your save that you can only have a maximum of 5 foreigners in a match day squad. 

@Ethan_X_02 @vikeologist it's 4 in the starting xi, 5 in the squad, and 5 can be registered. I clicked on some teams which had 8, looked at their registration and it says maximum of 5, and at the bottom it says "number of foreign players" - 8 with a red warning sign like it shouldn't be allowed, but it seems to be okay for them

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ryanlion28 said:

@Ethan_X_02 @vikeologist it's 4 in the starting xi, 5 in the squad, and 5 can be registered. I clicked on some teams which had 8, looked at their registration and it says maximum of 5, and at the bottom it says "number of foreign players" - 8 with a red warning sign like it shouldn't be allowed, but it seems to be okay for them

Managing in china and I have eight foreigners in my squad. 

Finally got round to ordering FM17 this week, and looking at taking on this challenge again. Couple of quick ones before I do though:

Are all the rules still the same?

Is it still possible to get a job in a top division? (Obviously this will be in a low-level nation, but I was just wondering before I spend ages trying to get a job in one and then find out its actually impossible).

37 minutes ago, numero uno gunner said:

Finally got round to ordering FM17 this week, and looking at taking on this challenge again. Couple of quick ones before I do though:

Are all the rules still the same?

Is it still possible to get a job in a top division? (Obviously this will be in a low-level nation, but I was just wondering before I spend ages trying to get a job in one and then find out its actually impossible).

Top division of the lower nations, yeah. My first job was Welsh Premier 

2017/18 Season - Witbank Spurs (South Africa)

witbank_spurs_logo

After surviving last season (I only managed the last 16 games) we need to push up the table. Being at Witbank is all about me and my development, I improve the team and get them promoted and it will in turn improve my rep and the clubs finances which will mean I can learn my badges.

I had high hopes for this season but never did I expect it to go how it did!

Transfers - Out

outs

Transfers - In

ins

Too many signings to go through all of them, all were signed to be in the 1st team squad. Mainly we bolstered the defence both centrally and at full backs.

Here is the squad for the season, we have good cover in all areas:

squad

League - South African 1st Division

We started well, really well, we were unbeaten in the first 6 games and were looking good for a top 3 spot, we were predicted my media to end 6th but I knew we could exceed that. Then came the usual mid-season blip. Goalscoring was a major problem, our strikers just couldn't finish. During the season we never went below 6th, but it was with 8 games to go when we hit 6th that I made a change, (6th sounds bad but actually the league was so tight we only sat 4 points off top). I binned my strikers completely and went with a strikerless 41230 formation and my god did it work. We went on a run of epic proportions, 6 wins in a row and then a draw in the penultimate game was enough to ensure us promotion as champions. An incredible run, one I never saw coming but the switch in tactics definitely worked.

table.png

Results

The first title (hopefully of many) under my belt. Now on to the Premiership! Hopefully this helps improve my rep

Nedbank Cup

Not much to say here, we got through the prelim round but were knocked out in a poor performance in Round 1

cup-results

End of Season Awards/Stats

Here are the club player awards and the top performers with regards to goals, assists, etc.

eos-statseos-awards

Next Seasons Aims and Plans

Hopefully now we are playing the big boys we can start improving the finances. We currently sit at -£600k which is an improvement of around £200k from last season mainly due to prize money. As the finances improve I will once again ask to do my coaching badges which so far has been flat out refused.

If they keep refuses but my rep increased then I will start applying for better job in South Africa just to see how it goes.

My aim for next year obviously is to not get relegated, hopefully with a few new additions we can easily steer clear of it.

Edited by scubasteve2017

@scubasteve2017 Congrats on the speedy promotion, will be following following your progress in the top league!

ajax_ct.jpg

Season 9 – 2025/26 – Ajax CT (RSA) / Jamaica

Season Review

Boom – that was the sound of my Ajax team blitzing through the league and cups, sweeping the others away. A couple of summer signings brought proven quality at center back and center forward positions, and weakened my main rivals Kaizer Chiefs at the same time. I just needed to win the league, and that was pretty easy in the end, partly because none of the other teams played that well. I also won two of the cups, losing on penalties to the Kaizer’s in the final of the third domestic cup, and retained the Champions League. Club World cup showed the limitations of our squad as we finished 4th, albeit after respectably taking the superior Tigres side to penalties in the 3rd place playoff.

League Table | Trophy Haul

Player review

Top scorer: Andie Motale (ST) 32 goals and 8 assists in 30(7) apps

He was quite inconsistent actually, but went on a few nice scoring streaks

Top assists, highest av rating: Jaouad Aziz (DR) 15 assists, 2 goals in 30(5) apps, 7.78 rating

New Challenge XI entries:

William Diallo (DC): 7.61 rating in 28(7) apps. Is rock solid and still young, might try to sign him for my next side if the budget and foreigner rules allow.

Yassir Belhaj (DR/DL): 7.73 rating, 14 assists in 26(3) apps. Mostly played at rightback but enters the Challenge XI at leftback. Was great both defensively and going forward all season.

Manager progress

60% rep, Continental Pro license

What’s next

Going to show my face at the World Cup with Jamaica, and then look for jobs in Mexico, Brazil, or any of the top Euro leagues.

Challenge XI

GK: Lee Ki-Ho (Jeonnam)

DR: Sergi Palencia (Sheff Utd)

DC: Adama Fofana (Jeonnam)

DC: William Diallo (Ajax CT)

DL: Yassir Belhaj (Ajax CT)

MC: Leonardo Capezzi (Sheff Utd)

MC: Josh Harrop (Sheff Utd)

ST: Thomas Trujillo (Sheff Utd)

ST: “Birdman” Kwak Hee-Seong (Jeonnam)

ST: “Bruce” Lee-Sang Joon (Jeonnam)

Subs: Emmanuel Kwaku-Duah (AMC/ST, Jeonnam), Kim Jong-Hyun (DR, Jeonnam)

Club Career:

Season     |   Team           |       Division      |   Position   |     Cups        |   Notes & Achievements
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016/17    |   Accrington     |  League 2 (ENG)     |   4/24       |     n/a         |   Took over in December (team in 20th), lost on penalties in playoff final
2017/18    |   Accrington     |  League 2 (ENG)     |   1/24       |     n/a         |   Promotion; League 2 points record (104). Moved to Sheffield Utd at end of season
2018/19    |   Sheffield Utd  |  Championship (ENG) |   1/24       |     n/a         |   Promoted
2019/20    |   Sheffield Utd  |  Premiership (ENG)  |   7/20       |     semi        | 
2021       |   Jeonnam        |  K League (KOR)     |   5/12       |     n/a         |   Joined when 10th in the league, after a one-year job search
2022       |   Jeonnam        |  K League (KOR)     |   1/12       |     won         |   Domestic double   
2023       |   Jeonnam        |  K League (KOR)     |   1/12       | won ACL + cup   |   A historic quadruple
2023/24    |   Ajax CT        |  South Afr Prem     |   9/16       | won AfCL        |    A champions league win with an super-thin squad (joined in CL group stage)
2024/25    |   Ajax CT        |  South Afr Prem     |   2/16       | won FA cup      |    
2025/26    |   Ajax CT        |  South Afr Prem     |   1/16       | won CL + 2 cups |    A quadruple of sorts

International career:

Season     |   Team           |  Tournament         |   Notes & Achievements
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018/19    |   Greece         |  Euro 2020 quals    |   Took over in Autumn
2019/20    |   Greece         |  Euro 2020          |   Quarter-finals; lost to France
2021       |   Egypt          |  WC 2022 quals      |   Qualified by beating Nigeria in final group game
2022       |   Egypt          |  WC 2022            |   Quarter finals; lost to Poland on penalties
2023       |   Egypt          |  ACON 2023          |   Lost in semis (Ghana, extra time)
2023/24    |   Jamaica        |  WC 2026 quals      |
2024/25    |   Jamaica        |  Gold Cup 2025      |  Winners!

Challenge Progress:

Club
 2/10 top domestic leagues: KOR (Jeonnam), RSA (Ajax CT)
 2/10 domestic cups: KOR (Jeonnam), RSA (Ajax CT)
 2/5 club continental championships: Asian CL (Jeonnam), African CL (Ajax CT)
 1/1 club world championship: Jeonnam 2023

International
 1/5 continental tournaments: Gold Cup (Jamaica)
 0/2 world tournaments 
Edited by dkouv

Game was delivered today (bonus as I wasn't expecting it until Tues/Weds) so all installed and game just about to begin. Loaded a load of leagues, and unlike last time, I've got a rough idea of what sort of path I'd like my career to take this time. Ideally, I'm hoping to manage in different countries this time round, and certainly with different teams. Let the fun commence!

Pug's Update Season 2020-21

tH0FgkS.png

So With A Few Players In To Make The Squad Stronger. It Was Time To Try To Win The League. First Game Was A Super Cup Against Man City,

A Heavy Defeat Of 5-1 I Was Not Very Hopeful For The Season. But Then A Super Cup With Bayern And A 5-1 Win Raised My Hopes Again.

On To The Season And 28 Wins 4 Draws And 2 Losses A Comfortable League Win. Results 1  Results 2.

The DFB-Pokal Was Another Comfortable Win Apart Form A Hard Win Against Leverkusen In The 2nd Round. DFB-Pokal Results

In The Champions League Group Stage I Was Drawn Against Benfica Barcelona And Panathinaikos And 6 Out Of 6 Wins. Group.

Next Up Was Arsenal And A 5-2 Win A 5-5 Draw For A 10-7 Aggregate Win. Onto Q-Finals Against Man City And A 0-1 Loss Away And A 6-1 Win At Home.

Up Next Was PSG And A 5-0 Home Win And A 3-3 Draw Away, Put Us Into The Final Against Bayern. Having Beat Them 4 Times This Season In All

Competitions I Was Hopeful Again.Champions League Results. So With All I Can Win I Resigned, Hope I Don't Regret This. Because I'm Still With USA.

Season Review And Ballon D'Or Winner

1lVvvpy.png

Now On To The Gold Cup With The USA. Drawn In A Group With Honduras Curacao And Guatemala And 3 Wins. Next Was A 7-0 Win Against

El Salvador. The Semis We Played Curacao Again And A 4-0 Win With Most Of My 2nd 11. In The Final Was Another Team From My Group

In Honduras And Easy 7-0 Win.Gold Cup Win

P O T T

CLUB CAREER
                                                                -----------

Season    Club                Leagues        Cups                                     Others & Notes
                               1st  2nd       1st  2nd    Cont    CWC
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016/17    Hunan Xiangtao                                                              Took Over In 16th Finished 6th
2017/18    Hunan Xiangtao                                                              Left After 20 Games
2017/18    Ulsan Hyundai       Won
2018/19    Ulsan Hyundai       Won            Won         Won     Won                  All 4 Trophys
2018/19    Gladbach
2019/20    Gladbach                           Won                                      Won DFB And Euro League
2020/21    Gladbach            Won            Won         Won
2021/22
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INTERNATIONAL CAREER
                                                           --------------------

Season Nation   Cups                                                                     Others & Notes
                 World Cup   Confed Cup   Euro's   AFC   ACON   Gold Cup   Copa America

2018/19 Nigeria                                          Won
2019/21 USA                                                     Won
  Challenge Progress

Club

2/10  Top Domestic leagues (S/Korea-Germany)
2/10  Top Domestic Cups (S/Korea-Germany)
2/5   Continentals Cups (Ulsan-Gladbach)
1/1   Club World Cup (Ulsan)

International

2/5   Continental Tournaments (Nigeria-USA)
0/2   World Tournaments

I just started the Challenge, too.

Version used is FMT16 (national management unlocked in an earlier save so that should work; no other unlockables in use, of course)

Leagues loaded: China, Chile and South Africa (all tiers 1+2), large database

The games started in Jan 2015 and I waited until Sep for a halfway decent job.  And just like pug407 I found Hunan Xiangtao (Chinese Jia league, tier 2 - home town is Changsha in the province of Hunan) to take the risk and give a 20-year old rookie a first job (oh, wait, I turned 21 while waiting for a contract). With only 6 matches to go in the season they were sitting 11th (of 16) without much potential up or down.

The club’s biggest success in its 10-year history is winning the third tier league. Apart from that not much happened. Still their home ground Helong Stadium is bigger than the average European club’s with 55,000 seat. With a crowd average of 2,100 the atmosphere is not exactly dense.

IRL the club already moved to a smaller venue and uses the Helong only for highlight matches. Smart move. But well, speaking of it, IRL they were relegated in the 2016 season into tier 3. We are here to at least prevent that!

The club’s name translates to Hulan Billows (i.e. waves) as mentioned in the logo. The closest sea shore is 750km away but maybe that’s close enough for Chinese reference to waves.

The squad, well, to point out the positives, gives me something to work on. We have three really good players. These are the three foreigners allowed – two Colombians and one from Slovakia. They are far ahead of everyone else. Two of them however won’t discuss prolonging their contracts which end this season. With only East Asia to scout I wonder how well they can be replaced.

That leaves us with huge holes in the squad’s midfield (both are DM/ CM). Other gaps to fill include especially the DR position (the best option here is rated by my staff with 0.5 stars, both PA and CA :kriss:). Even when looking at the First XI DC and AMR look weak as well. The #1 goalie has a serious problem with shot stopping (while being reasonably eccentric... :onmehead:) and all in all squad depth is woeful. And in a league where every now and then a striker like Ezequiel Lavezzi comes our way, our defence simply is outclassed and that’s a generous way to put it.

After I used the last 6 matches to get to know the team better (and get my head around those names...), I will use the end of the year to scout potential replacements and hope for a decent budget to build a squad on. Finances are stable so there might be some room for budget improvement…

Some more screenshots to come in due course. (inserting Images directly using imgur seems not to work at work... :herman:)

Challenge Progress

Club

0/10  Top Domestic leagues
0/10  Top Domestic Cups
0/5   Continentals Cups
0/1   Club World Cup

International

0/5   Continental Tournaments
0/2   World Tournaments

1 hour ago, vossmaj said:

@pug 407Great Progress in only 7 seasons! Keep it up. Wonder how I'll do with that Hunan folk.

The Chairman Put Money Into The Transfer Pot The Next Season. My DOF Got Me 3 Brazilians, Because My 3 Foreigners Wouldn't Sign And Left On A Free.

Good Luck On Your Journey Hope You Enjoy It.

16 minutes ago, pug 407 said:

The Chairman Put Money Into The Transfer Pot The Next Season. My DOF Got Me 3 Brazilians, Because My 3 Foreigners Wouldn't Sign And Left On A Free.

Good Luck On Your Journey Hope You Enjoy It.

Thanks, will do!

I usually don't rely on my DOF for anything and try to find and develop players myself. My experiences were not too good. However I might reconsider in this case... At least the leaving foreigners will give room in the wage budget.

4 hours ago, dkouv said:

@scubasteve2017 Thanks! The way I get the name to appear after the "@" is to just start typing eg "@scubas" and then a drop-down box appears with your name one of those on the list, then I just select that. But I don't know if you need any advanced features enabled for that and so on...

@dkouv so it does! Thanks for the tip!

jamaica_flag.jpg

Jamaica 2026 World Cup report

A lot of my team has aged badly since that Gold Cup win, but we’re mainly here for the experience anyway:)

Group stage

Spoiler

Uruguay 0 -1 Jamaica. Goals: Lawrence

The fairytale continues. A defensive set-up, a tight game, a 90th-minute winner from my leftback. Roll on Germany and Spain!

Jamaica 0 – 2 Spain.

We did pretty well actually. Created some good chances and lost to an own goal and a goal from a corner.

Germany 3 – 1 Jamaica. Goals: Bailey

“Jamaica in disappointing collapse”. But it was a close game, really. 1-0 up and full of hope at half time, Germany’s vastly superior quality did tell in the end however.

Out at the group stage but we did well all things considered.

Second round (if applicable)

Spoiler

Quarter final (if applicable)

Spoiler

Semi final (if applicable)

Spoiler

Third place playoff (if applicable)

Spoiler

Final (if applicable)

Spoiler

After the tournament

Spoiler

Looking for greener pastures, preferably an international job in Asia or Africa. But I shall always remember the Reggae Boyz fondly :) 

Edited by dkouv

SFCLogo.png

Stevenage FC - 2016/17 Season

This is a direct re-post from my blog, the entire entry is at: 
http://fmchampions.club/blog/2017/01/22/the-ultimate-manager-challenge-year-one-stevenage-fc-201617/

Our first season is now in the books, or half season, as it was.  We took over Stevenage FC while they were dead last in the Sky Bet League Two, in 24th position in the table.  Our remit was to avoid a relegation battle, while we were also supposed to reach the Second Round of the FA Cup.

We weren’t able to advance in the FA Cup, but we definitely avoided the relegation battle in the league!  Even with losing our last two fixtures, we still finished a very respectable 15th in the table after the horrific start my predecessor had overseen.  

The highlight of the season was undoubtedly the beginning of my career, which started off with a string of nine straight matches unbeaten to bring us out of the relegation zone.  Our home form throughout this season was truly awful — my predecessor and I combined to take only 22 out of 69 possible points at home, with a goal differential of -7.  This awful home form tied for worst in the league with Carlisle United, who unsurprisingly went down and out of the Football League.

On the other hand, our form away from home was tremendous!  We had the second best away form in League Two with 38 points, only 1 point behind Doncaster Rovers with 39.  51 points was safety in 22nd in the table — Accrington Stanley and Carlisle United went down with 47 and 44, respectively.

I did make five permanent signings, with all except Emile Heskey (whose attitude sucked because I didn’t strengthen to his liking) being young players with significant potential.  The other four players are goalkeeper Oliver Davies, fullback Nana Owusu, fullback Spencer Brown, and forward Samed Yesil.  All of these players signed on free transfers, and all but Brown played significant roles immediately upon joining the club.

As far as youth goes, Michael Cregan was at the club when I arrived, but hadn’t made his debut.  The 18-year-old made 19 appearances after my arrival, including 7 starts.  He averaged 6.91 in his debut campaign, with 7 goals and 2 assists, and two Man of the Match Awards.  His best game was certainly at Colchester, scoring a hat-trick to lead us to a 4-1 victory.  

We played a 4-2-3-1 exclusively, but with two different setups — one a counter mentality and one a control mentality.  While teaching the tactics, I was doing my best to have different instructions and passing styles in both tactics to give us a great deal of future tactical flexibility.  I needed to adapt to the players at the club, and if we do advance up the leagues I would expect tactics to change as new players to join and bring more dynamic abilities to the club.  With a full preseason with a training camp, we’ll be a lot more fluid in both systems to start the campaign and our ability to be flexible should benefit the club this season.

The board is requesting a top-half finish, and would like us to get to the Second Round of the FA Cup.  They are also requesting that we get to the first round of the EFL Cup and the Group Stage of the Checkatrade Trophy.  Our wage budget was cut over £8,000 going into the season, and the small amount of transfer funds (£12K) we have are all because of some shrewd work while getting rid of players that I was truly surprised we could get anything for at all.

MY expectations are to push this group to the Playoffs, and hopefully secure promotion to the League One for next season.  Through the past few versions it usually holds true that I join during the first season, and then promote the second.  However, I only have one player in on loan (Axel Prohouly) whereas most years I use the loan market a good deal more.  I’m just trying to develop my own players — after all, why develop someone else’s talent if you can help it?  The fact of the matter was I needed a solid attacking player last season, and if somehow I could pull money out of my arse, I hold a £825K future transfer fee agreed on the loan deal.  I’m thinking that is a pipe dream, though, unless one of my players skyrockets in value and moves along.

We started the challenge with five nations loaded, with England down to League Two, Brazil down to Serie B, Germany down to 2. Fußball-Bundesliga, South Africa’s ABSA Premiership, and Spain’s Liga Santander.  Even with the new version running better, I kept our save to five out of the ten necessary nations for speed of the save.  I plan on also playing in The Netherlands, France, Italy, Mexico, and China by the end of this challenge.

Challenge Progress

Club

0/10  Top Domestic leagues
0/10  Top Domestic Cups
0/5   Continentals Cups
0/1   Club World Cup

International

0/2   World Tournaments

Day One Manager Screenshot: http://fmchampions.club/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Manager.png

TSG_zpsegq9iacg.png

Actually struggling with words to sum up the season as Hoffenheim and Borussia Dortmund went toe to toe in the battle to become Bundesliga Champions 2032. The gap throughout never extended beyond three points , the challengers like FC Bayern and big spenders Wolfsburg were never seen as a serious threat. The season kicked off at home to Borussia Dortmund in the DFL-Supercup where a late winner from subsitute Iosu Diaz gave Dortmund the trophy in front of a packed house. It Proved to be a good warmup match especially with a much fancied Arsenal awaiting in the Champions League Qualification Round. Hoffenheim rose to the occasion and saw off the Gunners to enter the group stages despite losing in London.

Porto , Basel and Fernebache wasa  pretty decent group on paper as outside of Turkey Fernebache had done nothing over the past years leaving just Porto to challenge for the group. Revenge against Borussia Dortmund was had in the Pokal 3rd Round. Whilst defeated in Portugal the group stage was easily managed and Manchester United were next on the list . The Mancunians were unable to overturn the 3-1 opening leg victory as Hoffenheim squeezed through. Borussia Dortmund gain revenge for their Pokal defeat winning 3-1 at the Westfahlen to take control back in the league.  European Champions AC Milan were next up in Europe with the italians blitzing their way to another Serie A title but a 0-0 draw at the San Siro gave them something to ponder on after missing several clear chances with Hoffenheim reaping the benefits in Germany. Borussia Fell and the last German hope were put against Athletic Bilbao in the semi final . It was the end of the road with the spanish side proving superior winning both legs narrowly.

With injuries mounting up the Pokal had to be abandoned with a severly improvised side been lined up against Mainz in the semi final with a view the fixture against them three days later in the league was far more important . Three games to go all was still in play though somewhere i needed beat their result , the games past both drawing game 33 , still no sign of a flinch in the armour . Game 34 - Dortmund v Mönchengladbach , Hoffenheim v Schalke 04  - Gonzalez free Kick 33 mins - 1-0 Hoffenheim , Champions Elect , Egyptian Midfielder Galil rattles crossbar on 78 mins , 86 minutes the crowd go silent Dortmund had scored and thus snatching the title unless another goal . The goal never came  - League Table 

v3_zpstjvmvaqh.png

1970.png

Tigres Season 2030/31 Report

This was an incredible season. I am not sure i've ever created such a dominant team in any save in any FM than I have with this Tigres side and this season proved that. I've enjoyed it immensely and I must say that Tigres are my favourite team to have managed since my last attempt at this challenge when I took over Lech Poznan for a few excellent seasons. My Tigres side finished this season with 61 wins in all competitions as we destroyed teams from near and far, week after week. This may be a bit of a long update so I apologise in advance!

Champions Trophy- Mexico's version of the Supercup. An awesome 6-0 thrashing of Santos Laguna was a good sign for things to come and gave us our first trophy of the season.

Liga MX Opening Stage- 16 wins and 1 loss in the 17 regular season games saw us finish 1st by a margin of 12 points. We then beat Jaguares 6-2 on aggregate followed by Atlas who were smashed 9-1 on aggregate. The final saw us face Monterrey and although we lost the first leg, we dominated the second and won 3-2 on aggregate. Double winners already!

Copa Libertadores- After my last update we had won our group and were into the 2nd round, I had high hopes and thought we genuinely could win this competition at the first attempt. In the 2nd round we faced Newell's Old Boys of Argentina, who we beat home and away to secure a 5-2 aggregate victory. The Quarter final saw us face GRE (Gremio?) of Brazil, and although we dominated, went through with a narrow 2-1 victory on aggregate. The Semi final saw us draw San Lorenzo, another Argentine team. We lost the away leg 2-1, however completely dominated at home and won 3-0, giving us a 4-2 aggregate win. The final saw us face, surprisingly, Emelec of Ecuador. They had knocked out some big names coming through the competition (as had we to be fair) including winners of 5 of the last 6 Libertadores: SEP. So its fair to say I was wary that my team may have met their match. I need not have worried as we produced arguably our two best performances of the season, winning 4-1 at home and 6-1 away, a 10-2 aggregate win! My wonderkid striker that I brought in before the season, Exequiel Hoyos, scored no fewer than 7 goals across the two legs. Treble winners and we're only halfway through the season!

NACL- We got to have a crack at another continental competition this season due to the unique ability of Mexican teams to qualify for two different Champions Leagues. We were drawn into a group containing San Francisco of Panama and Puerto Rico FC. 3 wins and a draw saw us win the group, including an 8-0 battering of San Francisco in which my youth prospect Rodrigo Melendez became the youngest ever Tigres goalscorer at just 16 years of age. The quarter final saw us draw Saprissa of Costa Rica who were tougher opposition but we still won comfortably 6-0 on aggregate. The 4 teams remaining in the semi finals were all Mexican, so I knew we could beat them although I also knew we had lost to all three other teams at least once before under my management. We drew Atlas in the semis and a crazy tie occurred. the first leg was won by us 5-3 with 2 late goals, then the second leg we actually lost 3-2 at home, but we still won on aggregate to get into the final. The final saw us face Morelia, and we won the first leg very narrowly 1-0. the second leg was nervy but we believed in our abilities as we won 3-1, securing a 4-1 aggregate win and another continental title in the same season! Exequiel Hoyos bagged another 2 goals bringing him up to 9 goals in continental finals in a single season. Tigres were now Quadruple winners!

Liga MX Closing Stage- 15 wins, 1 draw and 1 loss in the regular season, almost as good as the first stage however we still finished first by 10 points. We beat Santos Laguna in the quarter final then America (MEX) in the semis. The semi finals included 2 of the best goals my teams have ever produced in FM, 20+ pass moves from the 'keeper to the front 2 where every player touched the ball with dynamic runs and movement everywhere, oh man it was beautiful. The Final was very close, but we beat Pumas 2-1 at home and away for a 4-2 aggregate win. QUINTUPLE WINNERS!! 

Results Results 2

Best Players: Top Goalscorer, most assists, most POM, highest avg rating- Richard Acuna (59 goals, 22 assists, 18 POM, 7.74 in 55(4) appearances) A clean sweep for Acuna who was an absolute monster this season. He scored a goal a game and topped the charts in every other category. He missed most of las season due to injury and really showed what he was capable of this season. His partnership up front with wonderkid Exequiel Hoyos (51 goals, 21 assists, 9 POM, 7.56) was insane as they took apart defences like i've never seen before. 110 goals between my starting front 2 is more than I could have ever dreamed for. Even last season's top scorer Kevin Riquett managed to bag 11 goals and 8 assists mostly as a super-sub, including 2 in the Libertadores final! Honorable mentions go to the rest of the starting 11 plus key rotation options as the team gelled spectacularly. Player Stats

This was a perfect season. Quintuple winners including 2 Champions Leagues and standout performances in every position. I put the success down to very good transfer work bringing in extremely talented youngsters with our limited budget as well as our key players eg. Acuna, Matute, Osorio staying free of injury throughout most of the season. Our squad depth was tested to the maximum but we passed the test with flying colours. I'm not entirely sure of the plan in terms of my challenge progression now, as I suppose i've probably now won all the eligible trophies I can with Tigres. I still need to win the big 5 leagues, but the question is how good of a job can I get and which order will I go in? I did just sign a new contract at Tigres because I'd like to try to win the South American Recopa and have a try at the Club World Cup however I'm not sure about our chances of winning that... Internationally I've just named my final Copa America squad so expect an update on that soon. I'll also update the Challenge XI soon as several members of the quintuple winning team merit inclusion.

Season       Team             Position         Champs League       Notes and Achievements     
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016/17      Royal Eagles     2nd                  -               Promoted to South African Premier League
2017/18      Royal Eagles     1st                  -               KO Cup winners, MOTS, CL qualification
2018/19      Royal Eagles     2nd                  -               FA Cup runners up, CL qualification, CL ongoing
2019/20      Royal Eagles     1st              Semi Final          KO Cup winners, FA Cup winners, MOTS, CL qualification
2020/21      Royal Eagles     --               Semi Final          KO Cup winners, Super 8 runners up, left halfway through the season for Molde
2021         Molde            1st                  -               Cup winners, MOTS, CL qualification
2022         Molde            --                   -               Undefeated and 1st in the league when I left for Genk
2022/23      Genk             1st                  -               EL Semi finalists
2023/24      Genk             2nd              Group Stage         Super Cup winners, Cup runners up, EL Quarter finalists
2024/25      Genk             1st               Playoff            Cup winners, CL qualification
2025/26      Saint Etienne    3rd                  -               Supercup winners, Cup runners up, EL Semi finals, MOTS, CL qualification
2026/27      Saint Etienne    3rd               Playoff            Cup winners, EL Quarter finals, CL qualification
2027         Jeonbuk          1st              Semi Final          Took over in 6th position, CL qualification
2028         Jeonbuk          1st              CHAMPIONS           Cup winners, MOTS, FA cup best manager, CL qualification, 5th in CWC
2029/30      Tigres        1st + 2nd               -               Cup winners, Libertadores qualification, MOTS
2030/31      Tigres        1st + 1st          CHAMPIONS x2         Quintuple winners, CWC qualification, double CL qualification again, MOTS

Challenge Progress

Club
 5/10 top domestic leagues (South Africa- Royal Eagles, Norway- Molde, Belgium- Genk, South Korea- Jeonbuk, Mexico- Tigres)
 6/10 domestic cups (South Africa KO Cup- Royal Eagles, Norwegian Cup- Molde, Belgian Cup- Genk, Coupe de la Ligue(France)- Saint Etienne, Korean FA Cup- Jeonbuk, Mexican Cup Opening Stage- Tigres)
 3/5 club continental championships (Asian CL- Jeonbuk 2028, Copa Libertadores- Tigres 2031, NACL- Tigres 2031) 
 0/1 club world championship

International
 0/5 continental tournaments 
 0/2 world tournaments 

International:
Season       Team             Notes and Achievements     
----------------------------------------------------------
2018        China U23         Won Asian Games
2019        Cameroon          Started ACON qualification, switched to Algeria
2019        Algeria           Resigned after 2 games
2021        Nigeria           Qualified for world cup, ACON qualification ongoing
2022        Nigeria           Knocked out of World Cup in group stage, resigned
2023        Ivory Coast       Started World Cup and ACON qualifying.
2024        Ivory Coast       Qualified for ACON
2025        Ivory Coast       Knocked out of ACON in quarter finals, resigned.
2026        Ghana             Qualified for ACON
2027        Ghana             ACON runners up, resigned.
2028        SK + France U23   Won U23 Asian Cup, Olympic silver medallists
2029        Brazil            Qualified for World Cup
2030        Brazil            4th in World Cup

@Fadedaf Congratulations on an amazing season. Although winning the Libertadores with a Mexican team has always been possible, I don't remember anyone else actually doing it on this challenge. Obviously really great for you as you only needed the big European 5 leagues, so now you don't have to worry about winning the league with a south American side in pursuit of the Lib, if that makes sense.

You mentioned Emelec just as I was preparing to meet them for the first time in the Libertadores, and make me a little nervous that they might put up a fight, but it's safe to say that your Emelec are not mine.

You have inspired me a little bit, as I've been feeling a bit sorry for myself that I can't attract players anywhere near as good as the ones who want to leave. Hopefully my existing squad can become as dominant as yours.

It looks as though you're   definitely going to wrap up a domestic side of things soon. I hope you win some international silverware soon, because it's going to be pretty boring at the end, whether you choose to manage a club side (even though you don't need to) or just be an international manager, spending most of your time presumably on holiday. Any thoughts about what you're going to do? probably best to just not think about it. I'll be rooting for you in the Copa America.

@Kaiserwatman Hard luck on the league. I've only just looked at the actual league table. ouch!

@jaysdailydose Good to see you back. You avatar is ridiculously handsome. If you tell me you got that face from scanning your own, I will be gutted. I must admit I imagine all of you being every bit as ugly as me. Please don't disillusion me. I wondered where you'd disappeared to because I'd bookmarked the old site.

@dkouv Bad luck on the world cup, and looking forward to the next chapter.

@vossmaj Good luck in China. Yes, the fact that cities have huge stadiums, and no sporting events to fill them up is a weird thing in China, and can affect the atmosphere at matches, or so I've read having never had the chance to go to a football match. I thought a billow was a moving cloud of smoke, or in this case pollution. I wonder if the name is a sly dig at the local environment, because I don't think it's in any way a translation of their Chinese name. Maybe some government bod thought to ask what exactly a billow was, and they made up the first rubbish that came into their head, or maybe a potential foreign player wanted to live on the coast. So, you're the manager of Hunan Smog as far as I'm concerned.  Not that it's a bad place to start, just ask.....

@pug 407 What is this? Are you going to break your own record? You'll probably achieve the challenge twice quicker than I can achieve it once. Well, probably a good thing, as your manager's 2 years in Hunan will have dramatically shortened his life expectancy anyway.

Edited by vikeologist

50 minutes ago, vikeologist said:

@Fadedaf Congratulations on an amazing season. Although winning the Libertadores with a Mexican team has always been possible, I don't remember anyone else actually doing it on this challenge. Obviously really great for you as you only needed the big European 5 leagues, so now you don't have to worry about winning the league with a south American side in pursuit of the Lib, if that makes sense.

You mentioned Emelec just as I was preparing to meet them for the first time in the Libertadores, and make me a little nervous that they might put up a fight, but it's safe to say that your Emelec are not mine.

You have inspired me a little bit, as I've been feeling a bit sorry for myself that I can't attract players anywhere near as good as the ones who want to leave. Hopefully my existing squad can become as dominant as yours.

It looks as though you're   definitely going to wrap up a domestic side of things soon. I hope you win some international silverware soon, because it's going to be pretty boring at the end, whether you choose to manage a club side (even though you don't need to) or just be an international manager, spending most of your time presumably on holiday. Any thoughts about what you're going to do? probably best to just not think about it. I'll be rooting for you in the Copa America.

@Kaiserwatman Hard luck on the league. I've only just looked at the actual league table. ouch!

@jaysdailydose Good to see you back. You avatar is ridiculously handsome. If you tell me you got that face from scanning your own, I will be gutted. I must admit I imagine all of you being every bit as ugly as me. Please don't disillusion me. I wondered where you'd disappeared to because I'd bookmarked the old site.

@dkouv Bad luck on the world cup, and looking forward to the next chapter.

@vossmaj Good luck in China. Yes, the fact that cities have huge stadiums, and no sporting events to fill them up is a weird thing in China, and can affect the atmosphere at matches, or so I've read having never had the chance to go to a football match. I thought a billow was a moving cloud of smoke, or in this case pollution. I wonder if the name is a sly dig at the local environment, because I don't think it's in any way a translation of their Chinese name. Maybe some government bod thought to ask what exactly a billow was, and they made up the first rubbish that came into their head, or maybe a potential foreign player wanted to live on the coast. So, you're the manager of Hunan Smog as far as I'm concerned.  Not that it's a bad place to start, just ask.....

@pug 407 What is this? Are you going to break your own record? You'll probably achieve the challenge twice quicker than I can achieve it once. Well, probably a good thing, as your manager's 2 years in Hunan will have dramatically shortened his life expectancy anyway.

Feels lonely being left out. (Jokes). Although my next season updates will hopefully catch your attention ;-)

Season 4 :      2019/20           A Walk in the park with Dundalk FC

My second season as manager of Dundalk FC. Last season we won the title and a cup, also we qualified for the European Champions Cup. Last one gave Dundalk FC a good financial boost. So I was able to strengthen the team. As a result we already had created a gap of 12 points with the team at second place. So in the second half ot the season, we should be able to win that title again. Also in the cups we did not lose a match and so we were able to still win every possible price this season. And so add more silverware to Dundalk’s Trophy Room.

And therefor I did expect that we would win the title again and I hoped to win more cups. In the first half ot the season, we did show we were the team to beat in the Premier Division. We played 16 matches, none were lost and 3 ended in a draw.

It took me some time but I managed to get my National B Licence. Talking with the Board about another Coaching Course was successful. They allowed me to go for the National A Licence which would help me a lot to pursue my career as a manager.

Silverware Season 2019/20
England	:	Champions: Manchester United	English FA Cup:	Arsenal
Germany	:	Champions: Bayern		German Cup: 	Bayern	
Spain	:	Champions: Barcelona		Spanish Cup: 	Atletico Madrid        

Holland	:	Champions: PSV			Dutch Cup:		Ajax	

European Champions Cup			: Manchester City
Euro Cup				: Liverpool
Euro Super Cup				: Atletico Madrid        

Club World Championship			: Atlético Mineiro

CHALLENGE PROGRESS

Season	Team			Position					Notes
2016/17	Leyton Orient FC	1st	English Sky Bet League 2		Joined in January after 25 matches / Won promotion to Sky Bet League 1
2017/18	Leyton Orient FC	2nd	English Sky Bet League 1		Won promotion to Sky Bet Championship
2018/19	Leyton Orient FC	10th	English Sky Bet Championship		Left Leyton Orient after 27 matches for Dundalk FC
2019		Dundalk FC		1st	Irish Prenier Division		Won President’s Cup, Leinster Senior Cup
2020		Dundalk FC							Won President’s Cup
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Club
1/10 Top Domestic Leagues (Rep of Ireland)
0/10 Domestic Cups (Rep of Ireland)
0/5 Club Continental Championships 
0/1 Club World Championship 

International
0/5 Continental Tournaments 
0/2 World Tournaments 

PERSONAL PRICES

Season	Team				Personal Price
2016/17	Leyton Orient FC		Manager of the Month (February/March)
2017/18	Leyton Orient FC		Manager of the Month (October/March) / Manager of the Year
2019	Dundalk FC			Manager of the Month (March/April/May) / Manager of the Year
2020	Dundalk FC			Manager of the Month (March/April/May

Season 2019                                                       PLD        WIN        DRN       LST        FOR        AG

Team:                    Dundalk FC

League    :            19           13             3             0             49           10

Other       :             7             7             0             0             16             2

Manager:              Pat van Dijk

Career   :               185         109         47           29           345         167

Edited by kernunos

@vikeologist Thanks and I'm glad I could provide some inspiration! And yeah this Copa America has added importance as I really need to start winning things internationally soon. I've read through your old save where you spent ages just trying to win international trophies so I know that could be a bit irritating. This is why i'm taking my time leaving Tigres as I might as well have a shot at the Club World Cup seeing as theoretically we should be the second best team in it. Maybe we can even give Real Madrid a run for their money. I have plans to manage a few specific teams for the rest of the challenge on the club side (Barcelona, Royal Eagles again) so I may not take the fastest route and can envision it taking 10ish more seasons to complete all of the club trophies. I still have to win the African CL remember so that could take while!

@Ethan_X_02 thanks and congrats on a great season and promotion! Any chance of you looking for another job or are you going to stick with it for a while? 

@Kaiserwatman unlucky there but it sounds like you're in good position to challenge for multiple trophies next season

2018/19 Season - Witbank Spurs (South Africa)

witbank_spurs_logo

The League

Wow, what can I say! There are no words so here is the final League table.

table

I don't even know what to say! We were always near the top, we had an amazing start winning 8 of our first 10 games. Us and Supersport exchanged top spot numerous times throughout the season but with 3 games left we dropped to 4th and looked dead and buried. Our final 2 games would be decisive, a 2-1 win over Kaizer Chiefs and then a final game 3-0 win over Supersport handed us the title. Absolutely incredible especially for a team predicted to end dead last! Next year we are in the Champions League!

Results

The Cups

Again it was sensational! We were knocked out early in the Knockout Cup but I played a reserve team, but the Nedbank Cup (main South African cup) was another story, we got all the way through the final but fell one short as we were smashed by Kaizer Chiefs.

cup

Player Stats/Awards

Top Goalscorer - Elasto Kapowezha Jr (15)

Top Assists - Katlego Mnyandu (8)

Top Average Rating - Thabo Makhele (7.29)

Player of the Season - Peter Moyo

Whole Squad

A new job already?

No rep and no badges, who wouldn't want me hey?! Well mid-February came around and a raft of international jobs came up, I applied for them and surprisingly to me I got a load of offers back, some like India, Palestine and Jordan sound good don't they? Not when you see that I got offers from Saudi Arabia, China and Ghana!! Amazing really and not that realistic but I have to take what comes.

So after a bit of thought I decided to take the Ghana job, may as well complete the Africa part of this challenge all in one go. Ghana are currently 38th in the World and have just had a major disappointment in the African Nations being knocked out in the Group Stage.

I now have 2 years until the next African Nations and 3 years until the World Cup.

Manager Progress

The board STILL won't let me learn any badges and my reputation is at 20%

What next?

Well that was literally the craziest season I've ever had on FM. Promotion and then the Top Division title the next season is "Leicester-Like", let's hope we don't do a Leicester and fall apart next season.

I have to stick around and at least give the African Champions League one go, if we fail then it maybe be worthwhile moving to a bigger South African team but now we have won the League finances are improving and I feel I can do big things here. We shall see though!

CLUB
Season 	Team    		Division	Position   	Continental		Notes and Achievements
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016/17	Witbank Spurs	SA 1st Div	9th			N/A			Took over after 14 of 30 League Games
2017/18	Witbank Spurs	SA 1st Div	1st			N/A			Division One Champions
2018/19 Witbank Spurs	SA Premier	1st			N/A			Top Division Champs/Cup Runners-

COUNTRY
Feb 2019 - Present
Ghana
Challenge Progress

Club

1/10 top domestic leagues (South African Premiership - Witbank Spurs)

0/10 domestic cups ()

0/5 club continental championships ()

International

0/5 continental tournaments ()

0/2 world tournaments ()

Danny_H22 2024 Season Review

1024px-Beijing_Guoan_FC.svg.png

After a fantastic half a season last season, I knew I had work to do in the transfer market to add some much needed depth to my squad to help with the added Champions League games. 8 players in for a total of £13.5 in the summer with 9 players leaving me should go a long way to achieving my goals. What followed was quite an incredible season.

On a personal level, I have achieved my continental pro license, learnt basic Chinese and my reputation sits at 50%. I entered the Asian Hall of Fame after my Beijing heroics, taking 17th spot. I am also 4th in the Welsh HoF, 4th in Northern Ireland HoF and 7th in Chinese HoF.

Ping An CFA Super League- After a strong finish to last season, I knew that if we could get off to a good start then we had a fantastic opportunity to win the league. Then my dream became reality after just 29 games when I played and beat last season’s champions to win Beijing’s first Super League for 15 years. The other teams really didn’t stand a chance and even after dropping points in several games after being declared champions, we still finished with a 16 point bumper over second placed Yongchang. We broke all sorts of league wins and goal scoring records along the way and I added my third different league title to my resume.

Yanjing Beer Chinese FA Cup- A pretty easy run saw us line up against second placed team Yongchang in the final, as we looked to retain the trophy we won last year. We made light work of them in leg one and put five past them on our way to a 5-0 win. Second leg wasn’t quite so much fun, but nevertheless we went on to win 1-0 making us back to back winners.

Changon Ford CFA Super Cup- League champions verses cup champions in the opening game of the season. What should have been a closely fought affair ended up being fairly one sided as we beat Guangzhou R&F 4-1. Two goals from star striker Yaremchuk, one goal and two assists from summer signing Yan Bin and a further goal and assist from Wei Shihao gave us a winning start to the season.

AFC Champions League- Our cup win last season meant we qualified for the group stages of the Champions League and gave me my first opportunity to tick a continental competition off of my list. I faced Buriram Utd, Jeonbuk and Melbourne City in the group stage, which we won without any issues, going unbeaten with 4 wins and two draws. An easy draw against Muangthong Utd of Thailand awaited us in the 2nd round and we meet pre-game expectations by running out 6-4 winners on aggregate. Seongnam was our opponents in the quarter-finals and we made it harder work than I was happy with – winning the first leg 3-2 but losing the second leg 2-1. Either way, it was enough to see us through to the semi-final where we met Ulsan of South Korea. A routine 6-2 win over both legs and Beijing were heading to their first ever Champions League final! Al-Ahli, who had won the competition three years previously were our opponents. I went into the first leg cautiously optimistic at our chances and one minute into the game, we took a 1-0 lead. 3 more goals in the second half gave us a 4-0 first leg victory. I lined up in the second leg with a weaker team, due to injuries and suspensions, and I still managed to snatch a 2-1 win with a 90th minute winner. Beijing are Champions League champions!!!

FIFA Club World Cup- So winning the Champions League earned us an invite to the Club World Cup where we were picked to face Gamba Osaka in the quarter finals. And what an easy game it turned out to be as we stormed to a 5-0 victory! The semi-final draw was less kind as we were matched up against PSG. Going 1-0 down after the first minute didn’t help matters. Going 2-0 down after 25 minutes really didn’t help matters. We fought valiantly but PSG ran out 4-1 winners. Although we lost, we did get the chance to play America (MEX) for the right to claim third place. Sadly we didn’t manage to snatch the third spot, losing 3-1. Still, really proud to have even made it to the competition in the first place.

Top Goalscorer- This obviously goes to Roman Yaremchuk who finished with 52 goals in 50 games. He also chipped in with 14 assists.

Most Assists- Yan Bin with an incredible 30 assists in 56 games. Also managed 21 goals in a fantastic season.

Highest Avg. Rating- Not surprising, Yaremchuk finished with a 7.84.

Most POM- Yaremchuk with 13.

International- One slip up against Cuba meant we missed out on winning our thurd round group in the Caribbean Cup and had to settle for fifth place playoff, which we won. In the fifth round of the World Cup qualifiers we drew our first game against Canada and lost to USA. I don’t see myself achieving much with Jamaica so currently I am just hanging around until a better offer comes along.

I am not sure where I go next. Won everything here, so no point hanging around longer than I need to. Just have to decide if I want to resign and holiday until a good job comes up or stick it out with Beijing until then.

Season       Team             Position         Continental       Notes and Achievements     
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016/17      Newtown          8th                  -              Took over in November
2017/18      Newtown          3rd                  -             
2018/19      Newtown          3rd       First Qualifying Round    Won theWord Cup and Manager of the Year
2019/20      TNS              1st       Second Qualifying Round   Won theWord Cup and JD FAW Welsh Cup. Retained the Manager of the Year
2020/21      TNS              1st       Second Qualifying Round   Won theWord Cup
2021/22      Linfield         1st       Second Qualifying Round   Won League Cup and County Antrim Shield. Unbeaten league season. Won Manager of the Year
2022/23      Linfield         1st       Second Qualifying Round   Won League Cup, County Antrim Shield and Challenge Cup. Won Manager of the Year.
2023         Beijing Guoan    5th                  -              Took over after 15 games. Won Chinese FA Cup. Won CFA Best Manager
2024         Beijing Guoan    1st       Won Champions League      Won Chinese FA Cup and Super Cup. Won CFA Best Manager.

Challenge Progress

Club
 3/10 top domestic leagues (TNS- Welsh Premier League 2020, 2021, Linfield- Danske Bank Premiership 2022, 2023, CFA Super League- Beijing Guoan 2024)
 3/10 domestic cups (Newtown-theWord Cup 2019, TNS- theWord Cup 2020, 2021, JD FAW Welsh Cup 2020, Linfield- Northern Ireland Football League Cup 2022, 2023, County Antrim Shield 2022, 2023, Irish Football Association Challenge Cup 2023, Beijing Guoan- Chinese FA Cup 2023, 2024)
 1/5 club continental championships (Beijijng Guoan- Asian Champions League 2024)

International
 0/5 continental tournaments 
 0/2 world tournaments 

International:
2018/19      Togo             Appointed manager of Togo
2019/20      Togo             Knocked out of World Cup Qualifiers in second round
2020/21      Qatar            Won WAFF Championship
2021/22      Qatar            Qualified for The World Cup. Knocked out in first round
2022/23      Senegal          Lost in quarter finals of African Cup of Nations. Fired
2023         Jamaica          Took over in July. Won CONCACAF Cup
2024         Jamaica          5th place in Caribbean Cup

Update: I might be heading west...

Edited by Danny_H22

br@cbf2.gif

Faded's 2031 Copa America Report

After our 4th place finish in the World Cup, I was very eager to try to win my first major international trophy. With things going well on the club side of things, my international performance has really been letting me down so this competition had added importance. Brazil and Argentina have alternated between 1st and 2nd in the world rankings for the last 2 years so I had a very good idea of who my main challengers would be. We lost last year's world cup 3rd place playoff to them 3-0, but won the superclasico later in the year 4-0, so it was hard to predict. Argentina have however won the last three Copa America's in a row in my save. We were drawn into a group containing Peru, Chile and Paraguay

Group Stage

Spoiler

Brazil 3-0 Peru (goals from Duarte, Roberto x2) A perfect start and a good, solid win. We dominated form start to finish.

Brazil 3-0 Chile (goals from Carlao, Duarte x2) More of the same, another great performance as we dominated the whole game. This Chile side are nowhere near the strength of the IRL side that has won the last 2 Copa's however

Brazil 0-1 Paraguay  What an awful performance! I mean we did get absolutely FMed here with our 31 shots to their 4 and 10 shots on target to 1, but we were toothless in attack. I rotated the squad a bit as we had already qualified for the Quarter finals but we still shouldn't have lost this. Their goal was assisted by none other than Richard Acuna, lethal Tigres front man. Chile lost to Peru however so we still win the group.

We have drawn Colombia in the next round

Quarter Final (if applicable)

Spoiler

Brazil 2-0 Colombia (goals from Duarte, Roberto) Despite missing a penalty, we won this game pretty comfortably and were clearly the better side. We have drawn Ecuador in the semi final.

Semi Final (if applicable)

Spoiler

Brazil 2-1 Ecuador (goals from Duarte, Roberto) Now this was a close one. We went behind on the stroke of half time and had to fight our way back. we had what it took however and were able to seal a good victory. You'll never guess who we're facing in the final... Argentina!

3rd Place Playoff (if applicable)

Spoiler

Final (if applicable)

Spoiler

Brazil p1-1 Argentina (goal from Rinaldo) Campeones, Campeones! Olé, Olé, Olé!! We've done it, and what a game! It was pretty tense for the first half, and then they scored in the 62nd minute. I feared the worst, and my fears doubled when my left back Conrado Fabri got himself sent off in the 74th minute. Instead of taking off a striker to replace him, I shifted us to a very strange 3-4-2 formation in order to keep up the attack. Super-sub Rinaldo came through with a wonderful goal in the 80th minute and ten man Brazil were level! Extra time passed without much incident although we certainly had the better chances. Then penalties, which I was nervous for since I believe my teams have only won about 2 previous shootouts in this whole save. Our goalkeeper, Rian Bronze was able to make up for his lapses in last year's World Cup as he brilliantly saved 2 penalties and my attacking players scored 4 in a row, sending the Copa America Trophy back to Brazil!

Aftermath

Spoiler

Finally some international success!! and by the slimmest of margins. I guess the plan now is to stay with Brazil until the next Confederations Cup and maybe even another World Cup. However that is 2 years away so if a better job comes up I will definitely consider it

Competition Review

Pug's Update Season 2020-21

zXhzOjT.png

So After Resigning From Gladbach And America, I Put In An Application For The Job At Flumiense In Brazil Contract. So Now I'm Manager In Brazil, With Them

Sitting In 14th Spot Having Played 19 Games League When I Took Over. Looking At The Team I Don't Think They Are That Bad. One Thing To Come To Light Is They Are Sill In The

Copa Libertadores. So Looking At The Squad And Tweaking My Tactics A Bit We Were Ready. So With 13 Wins 5 Draws And A Loss We Climb To 8th Place.Results . Final Table.

The Copa 2nd Round Leg 1 Was My 2nd Game In Charge, Was A Nice Easy 5-0 Away And 10 Home Win. After That We Only Lost 1 Game Make It Another Trophy Copa Results.

In The Club World Cup We Got Beat By Monterrey 1-5. In The 3rd Place Play Off We Managed To Win Seoul 3-0.Club World Cup Results.

Season Review     Managers History

CLUB CAREER
                                                                -----------

Season    Club                Leagues        Cups                                     Others & Notes
                               1st  2nd       1st  2nd    Cont    CWC
2016/17    Hunan Xiangtao                                                              Took Over In 16th Finished 6th
2017/18    Hunan Xiangtao                                                              Left After 20 Games
2017/18    Ulsan Hyundai       Won
2018/19    Ulsan Hyundai       Won            Won         Won     Won                  All 4 Trophys
2018/19    Gladbach
2019/20    Gladbach                           Won                                      Won DFB And Euro League
2020/21    Gladbach            Won            Won         Won
2020/21    Fluminense                                     Won                          Took Over In 14th Finished 8th
2021/22    Fluminense

INTERNATIONAL CAREER
                                                           --------------------

Season Nation   Cups                                                                     Others & Notes
                 World Cup   Confed Cup   Euro's   AFC   ACON   Gold Cup   Copa America

2018/19 Nigeria                                          Won
2019/21 USA                                                     Won
  Challenge Progress

Club

2/10  Top Domestic leagues (S/Korea-Germany)
2/10  Top Domestic Cups (S/Korea-Germany)
3/5   Continentals Cups (Ulsan-Gladbach-Fluminense)
1/1   Club World Cup (Ulsan)

International

2/5   Continental Tournaments (Nigeria-USA)
0/2   World Tournaments

@vikeologist -- yep, its a scan. :)  Aww shucks. :)

I let the other domain lapse as I had since gotten new hosting for my "real-world" site, and it was much cheaper to just get a new address and start a fresh site with the professional version of Wordpress than it would have been to migrate over the .com site.  

I had always been around I had just pursued some other challenges.  When I lost my previous save to my computer's death it was pretty gutting.  But I'm back and going full-on after this challenge this season. :)  I also post screenshot match reports for every competitive match on my Twitter at @FM_Champions if anyone is interested.  There's a really awesome FM community on Twitter for those that don't know.

But I'll be cross-posting here in the forums where it all began every season, and trying to catch up on the saves of others while I was away!  Good luck to everyone!  It's good to be back in the Ultimate thread! :D

EDIT: (I'm off to a great start in the next season, unbeaten to start the campaign, and that includes already getting to the Third Round of the EFL Cup, having already dispatched Championship Aston Villa at home in the Second Round!  My youngster CF Michael Cregan just won League Two POTM and YPOTM as well!)

Edited by jaysdailydose
small update.

Do you prefer to leave your current job in order to find a new one or hang around until something comes up? I'm not sure how leaving a role without a new one lined up affects your reputation, but I have done it with my last two clubs now. 

Edited by Danny_H22

Time for another update of my challenge XI as the last one was from before I joined both Tigres and Brazil.

Goalkeeper- Prince Motsoeneng (Tigres) A South African wonderkid who was solid between the sticks throughout the quintuple winning season of '30/31 at Tigres.

Left back- Maurice Sery (Royal Eagles, Ivory Coast and Genk) very talented fullback from Mali who i've coached in 3 teams now. He provided his best performances in the KRC Genk shirt especially in my final double-winning season.

Centre Back- Lee Jong-Soo (Jeonbuk) A rock at the centre of defence in the treble winning Jeonbuk side of '28

Centre Back- Ricardo Osorio (Tigres) My first signing with Tigres and we have since won 8 trophies together and counting. He has won plenty of caps for Argentina as well.

Right Back- Ayoub El-Khaliqi (Royal Eagles). Moroccan fullback who was at the core of the defence for ages providing loads of assists every season.

Right Midfield- Henrikh Mkhitaryan (Genk) The Armenian veteran was absolutely superb when brought into my Genk team, fitting my formation perfectly.

Central Midfield- Hans Stevens (Genk). Supremely talented youngster who was ever present in the league-winning Genk sides. An eventual world cup winner with Belgium.

Central Midfield- Francisco Sole (Tigres) The Captain and valiant leader of the quintuple-winning Tigres side. Contributed with goals, assists and much more as he mastered the box-to-box midfielder role.

Left Midfield- Patrick Roberts (Molde). He usually plays on the right but can cover both sides. Previously a Man City flop who was brought to Molde to play out wide and provided heaps of asissts and goals in a great season. Player of the season winner for both Molde and the Norwegian Premier league.

Striker- Park Hong-Sun (Jeonbuk) Absolutely lethal scoring 71 goals in the time I was at Jeonbuk and helped us win 4 trophies in a season and a half.

Striker- Richard Acuna (Tigres) Topped the charts in the quintuple winning season in nearly every category and won countless awards. He has scored 88 goals under my management already.

subs- Muhammad Nashnoush (Royal Eagles GK), Keanu Cupido (Royal Eagles CB), Lorenzo Pellegrini (Saint Etienne CM), Francisco Matute (Tigres LM) Patrick Garba (Genk ST) Exequiel Hoyos (Tigres ST)

4 hours ago, Danny_H22 said:

Do you prefer to leave your current job in order to find a new one or hang around until something comes up? I'm not sure how leaving a role without a new one lined up affects your reputation, but I have done it with my last two clubs now. 

It's  hard one to call. As a general rule, I think quitting jobs too often does some sort of harm to your reputation, or at least chances  of getting a new job, but there may be 2 factors to take into consideration.

a) compensation. At the start of the challenge, or with less rich clubs, a new club may not be able to pay the compensation needed to get you.

b) motivation. It might be better to stay at a job, but if you're not enjoying it and really ready to leave, then what's the point. I think this is where downloading an instant result skin (if you're playing full-fat) can be useful, though over several seasons and teams, I feel that my results are significantly worse than if I manage the games myself.

Also, your career, (I think it's yours) is challenging my belief that quitting jobs is problematic.

Because nobody really knows how the reputation and job obtaining thing works, it's impossible to say for sure. SI definitely changed it in the last update, so each of our experiences may be subtly different.

In a nutshell, do what makes you happiest. And congrats on your success in China.

@pug 407 

Cheers Put About 2 Years On

Not sure what this meant. Anyway, welcome to the leader board again.

@Fadedaf Congrats on getting your first international trophy. It always feels good to lose your cherry.

@scubasteve2017 Sorry about forgetting about you yesterday. There's so many posts at the moment. Congrats on the title / league win. I feel I should warn you that you may have a bit of a wait for the African Champions League because it won't start until the start of next year, so you have at least another year and a bit at Witbank. Hope you succeed first time, but at least you'll probably collect lots of cups in the next 18 months or so.

@vossmaj I didn't think that 湘涛 actually meant anything, but I guess it sort of does. xiang is a sort of abbreviation for the river in Hunan, and sometimes for the province itself. tao is a fairly uncommon word that does indeed mean great waves or billows, but it's really just a made up word / family name, that somebody got a translation from the internet for I think.

I'm sure at some point on a Chinese language forum, people have been wondering why West Ham is in the east of London, and why English people consider ham from the town of Barking to be particularly noteworthy. Oh God, now I wasn't to waste my time looking up the etymology of West Ham. I'm spiralling out of control.

Edited by vikeologist

1970.png

Tigres Mid-season 2031/32 Report

So another quick update from me as i've finished another half a season with Tigres and so my time as their manager is most likely up. I decided to stay on after the end of last season to try to win the South American Recopa and see how we went in the Club World Cup, seeing as i'm way ahead in terms of trophies domestically for the challenge so had plenty of time to spare. As we had already won all the other competitions last season I instant resulted about 90% of the matches these last few months.

Copa Libertadores- Ended up getting through the group stage again only to be knocked out in the 2nd round by Atletico Nacional of Colombia, mostly because I was forced into fielding a squad to play the away leg in the middle of an international break, so we had no less than 21 players unavailable for selection...  The resulting team of reserves, under 18s and grey players were dispatched 3-0.

Liga MX Opening Stage- 14 wins, 2 draws, 1 loss meant we finished the league table in 1st again. We beat Pachuca in the quarter final only to go out on away goals against America in the semis. Oh well.

South American Recopa- we faced Copa Sudamericana winners Independiente of Argentina for a trophy I desired to add to my and Tigres' collection. We won the first leg 4-1 away then played out a 0-0 draw at home to give us another trophy and my 7th different title with Tigres.

Club World Cup- We had lost 2 of our wonderkids to big European clubs before the season as their release clauses were met, including gun striker Exequeil Hoyos. As a result many of our other key players weren't hitting the heights of last season, notably Richard Acuna who without his perfect strike partner was scoring at about 2 goals every 3 games rather than a goal a game. Anyways, we brought in a few new youngsters as usual and went into the CWC with optimism but not much hope of realistically winning it. We faced Hawke's bay of New Zealand in the Quarter final and were able to beat them pretty comfortably 4-2. We then came up against CEC of Brazil in the semi final who had just recently won this year's edition of the Libertadores. We played reasonably well but found ourseles behind for most of the match after conceding an early goal. I made my formation and tactics more and more attacking as the game went on and finally we secured an equalizer in the 93rd minute from Paul Quinonez! get in! We reverted to the usual tactic for extra time and scored 2 more, winning 3-1 aet and sending us into a final against Real Madrid. We had very little hope of beating the European champions however, as the European CL winners had won the last 10 CWCs in a row. We put out our strongest lineup and surprisingly scored a goal on the counter early on, then managed to get another off a corner. Real Madrid pulled one back just before halftime but we still led 2-1 at the break. We went ultra-defensive for the second half but just didn't make it to full time, as we conceded in the 85th minute to level it up 2-2. We went into extra time and in the 100th minute they scored an insane scissor-kick volley to take the lead 3-2. I thought we were done for here but I made the formation more attacking and sent on the substitute strikers and somehow, my fourth choice striker who was in on loan from -you guessed it, Real Madrid- grabbed a goal on the counter to make it 3-3. We went into penalties and I was not confident at all, especially since I had subbed off 3 of our best penalty takers during the match. Our goalkeeper, Prince Motsoeneng then stepped up and saved the first three penalties in a row, while we scored 2. We then missed 2 in a row but fullback Daniel Velasco, with a penalty taking rating of 9 managed to slot one in off the post to make this Tigres side the best in the world. My 8th different title with Tigres and some unexpected progress towards the challenge! CWC Winners!!

It is now January 1st, 2032 and I think it is time I resign from Tigres as now I really have won everything there is to win. Now, onto the big 5. I'm really not sure what kind of job I can get at this point, and I do wonder if i'll have to resign as Brazil manager as well. My Reputation is up to 80% and I am now 17th on the world hall of fame, so hopefully I can get a decent gig. The job security for the positions at both Arsenal and Dortmund are Very Insecure at the moment so I think i'll declare interest in both. Does anyone know how exactly declaring interest works? does declaring interest in more than one club at a time affect anything?

Season       Team             Position         Champs League       Notes and Achievements     
2016/17      Royal Eagles     2nd                  -               Promoted to South African Premier League
2017/18      Royal Eagles     1st                  -               KO Cup winners, MOTS, CL qualification
2018/19      Royal Eagles     2nd                  -               FA Cup runners up, CL qualification, CL ongoing
2019/20      Royal Eagles     1st              Semi Final          KO Cup winners, FA Cup winners, MOTS, CL qualification
2020/21      Royal Eagles     --               Semi Final          KO Cup winners, Super 8 runners up, left halfway through the season for Molde
2021         Molde            1st                  -               Cup winners, MOTS, CL qualification
2022         Molde            --                   -               Undefeated and 1st in the league when I left for Genk
2022/23      Genk             1st                  -               EL Semi finalists
2023/24      Genk             2nd              Group Stage         Super Cup winners, Cup runners up, EL Quarter finalists
2024/25      Genk             1st               Playoff            Cup winners, CL qualification
2025/26      Saint Etienne    3rd                  -               Supercup winners, Cup runners up, EL Semi finals, MOTS, CL qualification
2026/27      Saint Etienne    3rd               Playoff            Cup winners, EL Quarter finals, CL qualification
2027         Jeonbuk          1st              Semi Final          Took over in 6th position, CL qualification
2028         Jeonbuk          1st              CHAMPIONS           Cup winners, MOTS, FA cup best manager, CL qualification, 5th in CWC
2029/30      Tigres        1st + 2nd               -               Cup winners, Libertadores qualification, MOTS
2030/31      Tigres        1st + 1st          CHAMPIONS x2         Quintuple winners, CWC qualification, double CL qualification again, MOTS
2031/32      Tigres          3/4th             2nd Round           Recopa winners, CWC Champions
Challenge Progress

Club
 5/10 top domestic leagues (South Africa- Royal Eagles, Norway- Molde, Belgium- Genk, South Korea- Jeonbuk, Mexico- Tigres)
 6/10 domestic cups (South Africa KO Cup- Royal Eagles, Norwegian Cup- Molde, Belgian Cup- Genk, Coupe de la Ligue(France)- Saint Etienne, Korean FA Cup- Jeonbuk, Mexican Cup Opening Stage- Tigres)
 3/5 club continental championships (Asian CL- Jeonbuk 2028, Copa Libertadores- Tigres 2031, NACL- Tigres 2031) 
 1/1 club world championship (Tigres 2031)

International
 1/5 continental tournaments (Copa America 2031- Brazil)
 0/2 world tournaments 

International:
2018        China U23         Won Asian Games
2019        Cameroon          Started ACON qualification, switched to Algeria
2019        Algeria           Resigned after 2 games
2021        Nigeria           Qualified for world cup, ACON qualification ongoing
2022        Nigeria           Knocked out of World Cup in group stage, resigned
2023        Ivory Coast       Started World Cup and ACON qualifying.
2024        Ivory Coast       Qualified for ACON
2025        Ivory Coast       Knocked out of ACON in quarter finals, resigned.
2026        Ghana             Qualified for ACON
2027        Ghana             ACON runners up, resigned.
2028        SK + France U23   Won U23 Asian Cup, Olympic silver medallists
2029        Brazil            Qualified for World Cup
2030        Brazil            4th in World Cup
2031        Brazil            Copa America Winners!

1 minute ago, Ethan_X_02 said:

@Danny_H22  @vikeologist

Before my save crashed, I had resigned from Malmo FF who I had be managing for a bit over a year, and I did have a 5% decrease in reputation when I left the club. Also, before Malmo, I had 2 clubs which I left after 2 years each and in job interviews they were questioning why I left so early, so from past experience it does make a slight difference. 

Quitting on a team is never a good look, and thanks for the confirmation.  I was just going to post similar results from my testing.

I haven't seen rep losses when another club comes in for me while I'm employed, though.  I've moved to higher jobs and it seems in those situations they just acknowledge that the move is advancing your career.  

Vikeologist's 2031/32 Rosario Central & Chile End of Season Report

th?&id=OIP.M6ba742cda958d1db75fd69988d5490edo0&w=299&h=175&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0th?&id=OIP.rja4yQ3NmbpNFHYRU07q7wEsDh&w=300&h=225&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

Sort of a season of two halves. The first half was the one that counted; as that’s when the final stages of the Copas Argentina and Libertadores were.

In the second round of the Libertadores we beat the dominant Brazilian team Santos. We won the first leg 6-3, and the second leg was a similar goal-fest with Santos pulling 2 goals ahead and scaring the life out of me. We scored twice, and then I shut that ship down for the rest of the match. There was still a lot of top Brazilian sides to get past, but I was kind of relieved when we drew Argentine 4th-best side Huracan for the quarter-final, as it was extremely unlikely that they could beat us over 2 legs. But that’s exactly what happened. We missed a penalty that would have put us 2-0 up early doors at home. They scored a late fluky equaliser and away goal to achieve a 1-1 draw, and then in the second leg, we didn’t look as though we would get the goal we needed. We pushed forward too much and they beat us 3-0.

Huracan aren’t that great, but they are a pain in our arse. They very nearly knocked us out of the Copa Argentina on penalties, but we prevailed in a nail biter, and won the final easily.

So I had at least achieved one new challenge landmark, and I was ready to leave, and maybe come back to the Libertadores later in the challenge, probably with a Brazilian side; hopefully doing a Vike as with FM15 when I took over Corinthians 1 match before the second leg of the final.

As far as I can remember, this is the first time I have ever failed to win the Libertadores. I mean, it was only my third time, (and the second time was just that one second leg of the final) but still, losing left an unfamiliar and bitter taste in my mouth.

I applied to Monaco in France, and I thought I’d get it, but they appointed a caretaker manager and months later appointed a permanent replacement without even notifying me.

I was instant resulting my way through the season, and on track to win it. With 6 matches to go we faced our perennial title rivals River. They went 2-0 in front which would have cut our league lead to 1 point. Then they froze and we won 3-2, which meant a 7 point lead with 5 matches to go. It was pretty much over from that point, and indeed we threepeated, winning the league for the third time in a row, the first time I’ve done this in the challenge, and hopefully the last time I’ll have to.

I don’t know if I’m looking for a new job or not at the moment. I suppose I may as well give the Libertadores 1 more shot, but if we are eliminated again, I may well resign. Resigning occasionally is sensible in the challenge.

Top Goalscorer – 46 goals

Best Average Rating – 7.74

Man of Match – 13

MVP – All Brian Santos

22 years old, Brain came on a free transfer from Atletico Madrid 3 years ago, and has always been in the first team, but this season he blossomed. Of course he wants to leave, and with just a year on his contract it would make long-term sense to cash in on him now, but since all I care about is the current Libertadores, he’s going to have to stay. Hopefully he won’t kick up too much of a fuss over the off-season and will be even better next season.

International – After being sacked by Brazil, as mentioned, Chile gave me another chance. This was forgiving of them, given that they failed to qualify for the World Cup under my previous administration, and stupid of them, because my results are no better this time. We’ve collected just 7 points from our first 6 qualifiers and sit in 6th place. It’s a bit gutting to me, because I like Chile the country and the football team, but I will probably jump ship again in the summer if a suitable job becomes available after the European Championship. There are no good young Chilean players coming up, and the team, which picks itself, just isn’t very good with my tactics or the slight variations I’ve tried out.

Domestic
Season	Team					Position	Notes										Challenge Landmarks
2016	FC Lahti				10th		Just 9 points from the 10 matches remaining after I took over
2017	FC Lahti				3rd		Qualified for Europe
2018	FC Lahti				1st		First domestic title
2019	FC Lahti				1st		The double. First domestic cup
2020	Jeonbuk					1st
2021	Jeonbuk					2nd		Knocked out of CL in semis
2022	Jeonbuk					1st		League / FA Cup / Champions League Triple. CWC 3rd place
2023	Minnesota Utd				14th
2024	Minnesota Utd				7th		Lost on penalties in Western Conference Semifinal
2025/6	Orlando Pirates				3rd		Knockout Cup Winners, failed to qualify for Champions League
2026/7	Orlando Pirates				1st		League, Super 8, Knockout Cup, Nedbank Cup. Won everything basically.
2027/8	Orlando Pirates				1st		League, Super8, Nedbank Cup. Confederation Cup losing finalists.
2028/9	Orlando Pirates				n/a		African Champions League. Left mid-season with the team on track for the threepeat.
2028/9	Rosario Central				18th		Took over for last 2 matches of the season.
2029/30	Rosario Central				1st		4th domestic title
2030/31	Rosario Central				1st	
2031/32	Rosario Central				1st		Threepeat, Copa Argentina, Lost in Libertadores Q/F

International
Year	Team					Achievements	
2019-21	Nigeria					None
2021-23	DR Congo				2022 World Cup - R2, 2023 African Cup Losing Finalists
2023-25	Chile					None
2026-27	South Korea				Asian Cup winners
2027-29	South Africa				Lost in African Cup Q/F
2030-31	Brazil					Lost in Copa America final
2031-	Chile

Challenge Progress

Club
 4/10 top domestic leagues 		(Finland, South Korea, South Africa, Argentina)
 4/10 domestic cups 			(Finland, South Korea, South Africa, Argentina)
 1/5 club continental championships 	(Asia)

International
 2/5 continental tournaments 		(Asia, Africa)
 0/2 world tournaments 

3 hours ago, jaysdailydose said:

Quitting on a team is never a good look, and thanks for the confirmation.  I was just going to post similar results from my testing.

I haven't seen rep losses when another club comes in for me while I'm employed, though.  I've moved to higher jobs and it seems in those situations they just acknowledge that the move is advancing your career.  

@vikeologist @jaysdailydose

Now I think about it, I think my rep did drop when I left Linfield. I think it's a catch 22 where clubs reject your application because you're with a club and they have to pay compensation but if you leave, your rep takes a hit and you struggle to get jobs you maybe deserve. 

Edited by Danny_H22

As I said in the post above though, there probably are some times when it's a good idea to quit; often early on in the challenge.

The problem is if you quit with an unrealistic expectation of the job you'll be able to get.

If you are quitting early on because you think you can get a noticeably better job, you may be disappointed, even if you have won something.

I think sometimes people start off in some tiny little nation, win the league, and quit. Their reputation takes a bigger hit because of the quitting than it gained from the winning the San Escobar Premier League.

The other question is, since being sacked also damages your rep, if things are going pearshaped, do you jump or wait to be pushed?

Anyway, I think resigning to look for a job is a bad idea most of the time, but not always.

7 minutes ago, Ethan_X_02 said:

@vikeologist I picked up a job in Australia, I assume that the FFA Cup counts towards the cup and the league itself is the league, but does the Final Series count as a league, cup or nothing?

Actually this is a tough one.

Easy part first; the FFA Cup is the cup.

Either the league (A League Premiers) or the winners of the playoff (A League Champions) would be the league winners in terms of the challenge landmark, but I'm not sure which one it should be. The logical thing would be to say that it's the champions (league playoff) because that's how it works in USA/MLS, and because of the word 'champions'. I'm not sure it's that simple though with the A League.

So Ethan or somebody who has the A League loaded; Which one does the game seem to think is the determiner of the winner of the A League? For the purposes of the challenge, there can be only 1 domestic league winner. Is it the Premiers or the Champions? Once we have a decision I'll update post#3.

2 hours ago, Ethan_X_02 said:

I'm unsure about what you mean by what the game determines to be the winner of the A League, but as I follow the A League the winners of the playoff are considered as the champions, but most of the time the winners of the regular season end up winning the playoffs. The regular season really just determines continental places 

I just meant that if you look at the A league history, it will detail the past winners, so you'll be able to tell what triggers that determination.

6100016_zpsn3lqp1e5.pngita_zpsr3ijydif.png

Santarcangelo Calcio

2018/19

So after getting Macclesfield promoted and my contract running out, I made some requests to expand my scouting range to help me achieve survival at Macclesfield, the board were unwilling to do so, so with that I decided to move on. I was applying for realistic jobs to me, turning many down, I was about to turn Santarcangelo down too until I decided to have a more in depth look. Santarcangelo were a team who were just promoted to Serie B in Italy, right away that peaked my interest, their manager had decided to not renew his contract and had left which gave me the chance to manage them, I gladly accepted.

The main reason I took Santarcangelo was that I felt in 3/4 seasons I could be managing in one of the top leagues in the world and felt that would be great progress for this save. It was certainly going to be challenging though they were 1000/1 to win the league and massive favourites to go straight back down, with looking those stats in the face I decided to get to work.

I had to work with very limited resources so had to build a squad capable of survivng mostly with free transfers/loans (Transfers), I managed to build a very capable squad of surviving, financially Davide Petermann was by far my best signing, got him on a free now valued at £500K with a release clause to higher clubs of £775K. Antonio Bianchi was probably the best signing all round on loan and his goals were pivotal in the season where we were favourites to go down.

Season Stats

League Table

Squad Stats ~ League Stats ~ Formations

So we had a decent first season in Serie B, we were actually one place off a play off spot, I didn't even know there was one until it was too late, but still overall I'm happy with my first season. As you can see from my squad stats the players I managed to get in to the club were key and are very good players for this level. I'm hoping to keep them and build on those signings to get a more complete squad. Bianchi was excellent in front of goal scoring 24 goals which really helped us secure a top half finish. I'm hoping the board don't become too ambitious now though as my aim for next season is pretty much same again, the finances are poor and the stadium is like a 2,500 seater stadium so it is really dificult, I think my gate receipts alone are £100K per month less than my wages. Our balance is currently £1.8M and quite frankly it could take some years to turn the finances around of this club, am I willing to be patient and give it a try? We shall wait and see. My contract has a year left at Santarcangelo and I'm going to see that out, after that I will decide what to do next.

CLUB CAREER
                                                        -----------

Season       Team             Country           Position           FA Cup          League Cup         Champs League       Others & Notes       
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2016/17      Macclesfield     England             11th                -                 -                   -             Took over in 22nd after 13 games
2017/18      Macclesfield     England             1st                Rd1                -                   -             Promoted, Manager of the Year, Gained National C Licence                     
2018/19      Santarcangelo    Italy               9th                 -                 -                   -             Gained National B Lincence

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INTERNATIONAL CAREER
                                                   --------------------

Season       Country         Tournament         Finished         Others & Notes             

CHALLENGE PROGRESS
                                                    ------------------

Club

0/10  Top Domestic Leagues
 0/10  Top Domestic Cups
 0/5   Continentals Cups
 0/1   Club World Cup

International

0/2   World Tournaments

CAREER STATS
                                                     ------------

Macclesfield   - P 95  W 53  D 20  L 22  GF 165 GA 95  GD 70  WR 55%  Days in Charge: 630
Santarcangelo  - P 43  W 18  D 10  L 15  GF 69  GA 62  GD 7   WR 41%  Days in Charge: 344
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Overall        - P 138 W 71  D 30  L 37  GF 234 GA 157 GD 77  WR 51%  Days in Charge: 974

Edited by Crowy

@ all

Interesting debate on resigning vs staying on at a club. I've been going down the resignation route in this challenge, simply because I find it too boring to stay on after winning what I need for that league. But after quitting Ajax CT and Jamaica I was a bit surprised to get rejected for a couple of jobs in the French Ligue 1, the sort of jobs I was getting interviews and being favourite for before joining Ajax CT. So I'll definitely try the "stick it out with instant result" option later; especially as I normally stay for around 3 years which is when your contract runs out, and you can stay on a compensation-free rolling contract after that...

Having said that, I did manage to land the dream job with South Korea after the World Cup was finished, so now I'm having a crack at the Asian Cup just half a year after joining, and enjoying the reunion with some of my old Jeonnam legends. So all is not bad :)

My *personal* rule of thumb is that if I'm pursuing a new job, I will take my board being pissed at me and do my best to have the other club come in for me while I am still employed.  I feel like it might be an "under the hood" setting in regards to your loyalty, and also possibly your ability to deal in pressure situations.  I don't have any data except for many test seasons and played seasons over the last few versions, but I've always seemed to fare better on reputation when I make the club I want make an approach, rather than quitting and pursuing the job.  Your mileage may vary, but it seems to me that in pretty much all scenarios, resigning from your job hurts your long-term prospects... 

I totally understand people becoming bored or wanting to leave sooner when they are in a job where they've won what they needed to win for their challenge requirements, and are just playing out the string... my advice would be to really monitor how long you are signing your contracts for, and to holiday and try to complete your deal if at all possible.  Especially early on in your career, where a prospective new employer needs to see your viability for a higher reputation league or club, it just seems resigning hurts the absolute most out of all actions aside from relegations...

I'd try to do some tests and provide some data, but honestly my computer isn't really strong or fast enough for the kind of sample sizes needed to prove anything... but, I'm quite sure that "Resigning = bad" is something we can all agree on.  I don't plan on getting relegated ever in my save, but that might be a good test to try to get as close to exact figures as possible regarding reputation hits for being sacked, being relegated, and resigning...  It would also be interesting to know if they wind up proportional to your current rep, or if they are nearly always fixed amounts...

If someone with a really nice machine can do any test work, I know it would be met with a lot of interest -- that just isn't me and my setup anymore, unfortunately. :(

Edited by jaysdailydose