Dedicated Video Ram - Does it matter?

I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem as me or knows the answer?

My laptop only has 32mb dedicated video ram. Nowhere near the 256mb required for the game to run properly as shown when I went on 'Canurunit'. Went and read up a bit about DVR and what I gather is it shouldn't really be a problem. I have plenty of Ram its just be stupid Integraded Intel card doesn't class it as DVR for the most part. Has anyone else tried Fm16 on a laptop without the required graphics card?

Any help would be great. Thanks

With all the new animations & other visual elements there might bit a bit more pressure on your card, the good news is there are now more graphics options so if you managed medium settings on FM15 there's a good chance that you'll be okay running a mix of medium & low settings on FM16.

As Welshace has said trying the demo when that is released is the only way to know for sure before buying.

I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem as me or knows the answer?

My laptop only has 32mb dedicated video ram. Nowhere near the 256mb required for the game to run properly as shown when I went on 'Canurunit'. Went and read up a bit about DVR and what I gather is it shouldn't really be a problem. I have plenty of Ram its just be stupid Integraded Intel card doesn't class it as DVR for the most part. Has anyone else tried Fm16 on a laptop without the required graphics card?

Any help would be great. Thanks

Not trying to be condescending here, but if you don't know what VRAM is, it doesn't seem that you're in a good position to say it doesn't really matter.

VRAM does matter for graphics. Some applications will be hard coded not to start if there isn't enough. It's used to store all sorts of graphics related information, such as textures, models, and so on, and when it's done on dedicated memory, this is much faster than waiting for it to be retrieved from main system RAM (and also provides far more bandwidth which you need when you're drawing complicated stuff at a high resolution).

As an integrated card, your graphics 'card' (actually just a chip!) has no dedicated memory, whereas a high end card might have 4-12GB. To operate, it has to reserve RAM from the system which cuts into memory available for everything else, and is much slower than the memory on a dedicated card.

Laptop BIOS settings will not usually allow you to alter the amount of memory reserved for an integrated card.

Does it matter? Yes... sort of:

* Some games require a certain amount to load up in the first place, or to avoid crashing. See the minimum specs.

* VRAM allows more complicated graphics (not really a massive concern for FM)

* The amount of VRAM is usually a decent reflection of a graphics card's capabilities; VRAM exists to help allow the card to achieve its full potential.

Basically you'd need to try the demo and read the minimum specs to get an exact answer as others have stated.

It doesn't matter. Bought the game, downloaded and playing more than fine on 3D Match settings. Looked at preferences and my laptop is 2.5/5 on 3D Graphics Quality and is running smoothly on medium settings.

Thanks to the guys that helped.

Archived