FM16 The Sammarinese Challenge.

Fitness concern as Season Enters Final Third

San Marino have put on a brave face thus far with crippling debt, a shallow squad and an uncertain future, however things may be starting to unravel as a squad of just 22 players fights on three fronts, in the League, Cup and Champions League Knockout stages.

Further to this, Fatigue is starting to set in with key players feeling the pinch of such a heavily schedule, and with Fabrizio Conti and Arturo Da Fonseca, two senior defenders and leaders of the backline out for a number of weeks, San Marino are left even weaker still in the backline.

Leon will have a difficult time trying to juggle the final third of the season with such a thin and wore torn squad, but it all starts this weekend against Palermo, where a win could reduce the gap to just 3 points.

DpQmZ3y.png

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

San Marino Struggle for Form as Fatigue Builds

San Marino have now lost 2 league games in a row and 3 of their last 5 as their form hits a slump at the wrong time of their campaign.

Recent results have seen them drop 9 points in the league as well as two draws in cup games as Titani's fatigue levels cause them to lose composure and falter whilst their rivals capitalize. Juventus still have a 6 point lead, but could now stretch it to 9 with a game in hand, whilst Dynamo took a 0-0 draw away from the first leg and look in good steed for the return leg.

PQznyiN.png

They will need to turn results around soon but with no rotation options available it will be tough to get fitness and moral back up with such short turn arounds between fixtures.

3PjTRA9.png

San Marino Calcio - Serie C/B - 2016/2017

San%20Marino%20logo_zpsppxbwnze.png

Squad / Transfers / League Results

Philosophy:

• Reach the relative financial comfort between Serie B and Serie A as quickly as possible using transfers. Once we're financially stable, switch to youth development and take over the national team.

• Unconventional 3 at the back formation with no WBs; this is Italy after all.
  • Only "Instant Results" (at least initially). I've never been one for much in-game tactically tweaking so why not take this predilection to the logical extreme?

Targets for This Season:

• Fill the missing gaps in the first 11 and develop a little depth to carry us through any injuries. SUCCESS
  • Which should in turn help us win the league or at least secure promotion. Things are starting to look promising. FAILURE

Serie C/B:

• On paper our side had much improved, but it ended up being one of the more baffling seasons to interpret. We struggled out of the gate, slipped 9 points behind the leaders, and then put together 6 wins on either side of the break to pull within 3.
  • We followed our superb form by going win-less for 8 sliding back down the table. An undefeated last 9 games put us in the hunt for playoffs, needing the 3rd or 4th placed team to slip-up on the last day. Fourth placed Alessandria opened the door for us to sneak in; we tripped over our own feet against an already relegated side and slammed it back shut.
  • I tweaked our tactics a few times this year, both early season and when we hit the skids. Nothing seemed to make a difference until I eventually swapped a CM for a ST which turned us into a 3-4-1-2 that looked entirely too attacking but gave us moderate improvements.
  • Ultimately we should've done better with the players at our disposal. We have the talent to get promoted but aren't performing.
  • My Assistant Manager added to my befuddlement by continuously changing his evaluations of my players. Star ratings are always prone to fluctuations, but he couldn't decide if several of my players were decent Serie B or leading Serie C or at times just good Serie C. He cycled through all of them without significant attribute changes.

Italian Cup:

• Knocked out in the second round by a recently promoted Serie B side.

Serie C Cup:

• Still not taking it seriously -- lost in the first round to Alessandria.

Youth Intake:

• Not the most impressive haul, but at this point I'll happily take one potential star each cycle, even if this one has dual nationality.
  • Mirco Ciacci is rated as potentially a good Serie A winger. Tiny though -- if this trend continues (and nothing is more accurate than drawing conclusions from extremely small sample sizes), my team will eventually become all talented tiny people.

2016-2017%20-%20Youth%20Intake_zps8fhakg1j.png

2016-2017%20-%20Mirco%20Ciacci_zpsy2bgviv2.png

Targets for Next Season:

• Minimize changes and hope the on-field chemistry improves.
  • Start working Lazzari into the side. He's only a star behind my starting AM and should close the gap quickly. Plus he scored on his debut as a substitute, his only appearance of the season!

2016-2017%20-%20Lorenzo%20Lazzari_zpseybgggey.png

I wanted to get a consensus. I want to restart this challenge, but the NT issue is obviously a big obstacle on FM16. Would it be acceptable to start with a second manager as NT coach for the first few years, with the main Club manager taking over after a few years once some decent players have been produced?

San Marino Calcio - Serie C/B - 2017/2018

San%20Marino%20logo_zpsppxbwnze.png

Squad / Transfers/ League Results

Philosophy:

• Reach the relative financial comfort between Serie B and Serie A as quickly as possible using transfers. Once we're financially stable, switch to youth development and take over the national team.

• Unconventional 3 at the back formation with no WBs; this is Italy after all.
  • Only "Instant Results" (at least initially). I've never been one for much in-game tactically tweaking so why not take this predilection to the logical extreme?

Targets for This Season:

• Minimize changes and hope the on-field chemistry improves. SUCCESS
  • Start working Lazzari into the side. He's only a star behind my starting AM and should close the gap quickly. Plus he scored on his debut as a substitute, his only appearance of the season! SUCCESS

Serie C/B:

• Transfers were minimal but we started hot again, winning our first 10. As soon as we lost I began waiting for the other shoe to drop; my misplaced confidence from last season left me gun shy.
  • When the wheels didn't immediately fall off, we gratefully kept chugging along in first with a consistent 4ish point gap between us and the chasing pack all the way through the winter break.
  • So many complaints about wanting to leave to join another team! I think my manager's low reputation is spurring even highly professional, non-confrontational players to feel emboldened.
  • A loanee from the first season (Bangal) rejoined us mid-season on a free signing. He provided great depth as the cupboard was bare beyond Le Mantia.
  • Still no harsh roadbumps, the season was an easy cruise until the last 10 games. With the chance to win and stretch our lead to 12, we lost. Then drew. Then lost. Suddenly the lead dropped to 4 and we were ******* it all way.
  • We found form over the next few games and claimed the title with two matches left. Whew.

Italian Cup:

• Can't be bothered to look. Wasn't prioritized and we're no threat here yet.

Serie C Cup:

• Lost in the semi-finals using a heavily rotated side.

Youth Intake:

• Nothing to mention here except Lazzari has really come along though. My assistant continued his wild swings in evaluations, at one point saying he was already a good Serie B player before deciding he was simply by best AM and good for Serie C. Very promising with lots of room to grow.

2017-2018%20Youth%20Intake_zpstlzpqdoa.png

2017-2018%20Lorenzo%20Lazzari_zpsyxha3zfz.png

Targets for Next Season:

• Consolidate in Serie B with few signings. Make cash to use towards youth upgrades.

I think I may take a hiatus from this challenge. At heart I may be more of a youth-only type, and reading up on all the San Marino league efforts has given me the bug to try something similar with another small country (thinking Luxembourg) and track the changes from the ground up. Will definitely still be reading here in the meantime.

I think I may take a hiatus from this challenge. At heart I may be more of a youth-only type, and reading up on all the San Marino league efforts has given me the bug to try something similar with another small country (thinking Luxembourg) and track the changes from the ground up. Will definitely still be reading here in the meantime.

Luxembourg is just as hard try an Asian country i did it with Singapore and Luxembourg both really long challenges

SM.png

Season 3

Club

EOS.png

Team Report

Squad

Squad

League Table

Finances

Transfers - Some of the Transfers have add ons on them. Cheap way to buy while i am still trying to get the money in

Key Players

Solanke

Kudimbana

Lincoln

Pereira

Kante

Veronesi

Youth Candidates

Pregnolato

Raschi

Morri

Broccoli/Report

Kayembe/ Manged to snag this young striker got a african scout give me this guy so i scouted him with my top one and he came up to be awesome

Italian Cup Final

Don't you just love the international games that come around and try and ruin your season i changed my line up and managed to fit all my best remaining players in i took a hammering but the 3 central defenders worked

ICF.png

ICFMS.png

International

SMIWR.png

Fixtures - What happens when i only have one good striker and he gets injured a draw and loss to Malta 2nd game against Malta I had a full team still went meh!!

Key Players

Podeschi

Benvenuti

Mancini

Faetanini

Golinucci

I wanted to get a consensus. I want to restart this challenge, but the NT issue is obviously a big obstacle on FM16. Would it be acceptable to start with a second manager as NT coach for the first few years, with the main Club manager taking over after a few years once some decent players have been produced?

I don't see why not as there is a game breaking issue for those trying to attempt this challenge. I won't hold it against you :)

Luxembourg is just as hard try an Asian country i did it with Singapore and Luxembourg both really long challenges

No worries on the difficulty. Despite being fascinated by this challenge, I hadn't found a connection with my San Marino save (yet) and wanted to try something unique, but I'll definitely be keeping up with everyone's updates and will probably still play my own now and then. For anyone interested, my thread is here.

I have been travelling and have also had a fairly quite campaign so here goes a quick little update

San Marino Risk it all by Increasing Their Debt for A New Ground

San Marino have been trying for some time to expand their current stadium, with request continually being rejected by their local council. With a slow increase in debts despite such a small squad, it is safe to say that something needed to be done and the chairman has taken the risk upon himself to that out a 342M loan to double the stadium size in a bid to increase match day revenue and help the club get back into the black.

He also bumped the wage budget in order to re-sign key staff and players on for next year, such as current midfielder Zafferani and ex player and coach Glenn Fraser.

"we need to start taking risks with our financial model to get back into the positives, and although this is a huge debt pushing us upwards of half a million, it will significantly increase our match day outputs and total yearly revenue. I am confident that this is the right move for the fans, the club and out future financial status"

The stadium will be named after current manager and club legend, Leon Breakenridge. With his kin also playing for the club, the stadium servers as two names, one representing the clubs older and wiser side, whilst also having Breakenridge's son Giacomo representing the youth, spirit and ambition of the club.

They will debut at the group sometime next year, in 2049, should building remain on track.

xJrrkK9.jpg

UEFA compliance glitch saves San Marino's European Hopes

UEFA have had released a statement apologizing for a poorly worded email in which they have outlined loses in close to 2 Billion Euros against San Marino, but stating they have been successful in meeting the minimum monetary requirements to participate in this years Champions League.

We apologize to club San Marino and their fans for the letter and its misleading information. Though San Marino are significantly outside of the required funds, it is currently under review and pending any overturns, the result will remain in favour of San Marino remaining in the Champions League due to their high internal profit this season generated from player funds. In accordance with the game, the letter was to point out the investment capital used in the club buyout is what has created the significant losses and as such is being reviewed to be considered a non club expense and thus not resulting in any penalties.

In line with the statement, San Marino made record sales and also restructured to reduce the debt, which as a result gave them a quarter of a billion in funds, which has been declared as club revenue, whilst the sale has not been considered as a club value loss.

Next year however, should the debt still be against San Marino, this is likely to be facourted into the FFP regulatory rules.

The decision is under review, pending any changes, San Marino will be in the Champions League this season.

oq7cMZZ.jpg

Italian Cup Loss Lowers Moral to New Levels

92xNN7z.jpg

With Juventus running away with the league and Chelsea knocking San Marino out of the Champions League, the Italian Cup looked like the only feasible title Titani could win this season. Things looked promising, but an inability to put the ball away led to a disappointing 5-4 loss on penalties, after the initial 120 minutes failed to produce a goal.

This marks the first season in 10 years that San Marino have not won at least one of the three major competitions - Their League, Cup and Continental title.

The debt and thin squad have really caused trouble for the light blue and white this season and it doesn't look to be getting any easier with a few key players already on the radar of some of the bigger clubs.

They will need to start with reducing the debt this coming Summer as TV and participation fees are awarded to help the tight purse.

Entertainment news!!

Oldest agent looses oldest client

Mario Dini has today parted ways with long time agent, Alessandro Ghiotti. The 38 year old is currently contemplating retirement and has decided to make all his decisions without the aid of his 87 year old agent, who too, is considering hanging up his badge. The 87 year old currently has 77 players on his books and was responsible for the influx of quality to San Marino way back in the early 20's with the likes of Christian Zapata, who he negotiated a deal for in the players departure from AC Milan. He manages 22 of the San Marino club sides contingent, including high profile players Navarro, Peters and Breakenridge, with his highest valued player being ex Titani player, Sergey Pivovarov, who is valued at a whopping £42M.

R6zyQL2.jpg

European Defense Commences

San Marino will look to defend their European Championship crown with a group stage against Russia, Bulgaria and Spain.

The 14th ranked side in the world will have a tough time against Spain (12), Russia (20) and Bulgaria (46) but are second as favourites to progress, behind the Spanish.

They kick off their campaign against Hong Kong, but face challenges from 41st ranked Slovakia and current number 1 England among some ordinary fixutres garnered to boost moral and squad cohesion.

Friendly Results mixed but strong finish sets Sammarinese on the right path

A poor game against Estonia and a thrashing against world number 1's England had San Marino a little rocked, but the small nation was able to reverse their fortunes with some strong results to close out their warm up's. the 2-1 win over Serbia the most impressive. The team are considered one of the favourites to make it to the final 4, but are not expected to back up their previous win, with the likes of England, Spain and Italy highly favoured.

San Marino have Russia up first followed by Bulgaria and then Spain to round out their group stage matches.

pesmEO6.png

Slow start as San Marino scrape through

Fo0Uilz.png

San Marino managed to salvage a 3-3 draw after twice letting a lead evaporate before a late equaliser got them a point. Their second match was a comfortable victory over Bulgaria, which saw them into second on 4 points, however a heavy loss to Spain in their third and final group game saw them slip into third, behind Russia, based on goal difference.

The blue's had lady luck shine upon them as the draw saw them get a relatively easy draw of the Ukraine in their Second round match, whilst Russia were unfortunate to be drawn against The Netherlands.

San Marino win tight battle to reach Quarter Finals

G6ifsda.jpg

San Marino had more possession but it was their clinical ability in front of goal that won them the first knockout round encounter against the Ukraine tonight. Canti struck first and Breakenridge Jr. added another midway through the second half to seal a 2-0 win which sees them progress to the Quarter Finals as they attempt to repeat their efforts from 4 years ago.

Other results saw The Netherlands beat Russia in a thrilling match, whilst Germany required penalties to progress. The other big side in Spain won comfortably, whilst the Italians went out early, not even making it into the group stages, finishing behind Turkey who proceed to the Quarter Final stages, beating Sweden 2-0.

QGnSpJb.png

Czech second half onslaught not enough as San Marino move to final 4

San Marino struck twice early and ominated the first half before the Czech Republic found their rythmn in the second half. An early goal on 47 minutes saw them with a sniff, but the partnership of Ferrari and Zonzini proved too strong as they denied the Czech time and time again to hold on for a gutsy and gritty 2-1 victory.

The win sees them guaranteed a top 4 finish as they are set to line up against a Netherlands side that had exhausted themselves playing out a penalty fought match against Germany.

Spain Narrowly edged Croatia, whilst Turkey have rounded out the top 4, leaving world known sides to battle each other for a finals birth.

MBnnCOX.jpg

Counter Attack leads philosophy catches everyone off guard

San Marino have a habit of putting the Dutch to the sword in recent years but things looked different as the Netherlands struck on 27 minutes to make an interesting game of things.

As the half approached, Breakenridge Sr. caught everyone off guard by alternating to a completely unexpected counter play, sitting deep with some late pressing to draw the Dutch up and get the ball with room for their quick forwards to burn. It worked a treat with Breakenridge Jr. a recipient of one such ball just shy of the break.

Zafferani finished another lovely counter attack down the right in the second half to show the deadliness of the small country's players and to show how unpredictable they can be when given the opportunity to flex their msucle.

A real exciting game with plenty of changes, but a lack of accuracy and final third ability is what allowed San Marino to triumph on the night.

dfSPCSs.jpg

The Spaniards were able to overcome their opposition, in Turkey, which pits the group stage rivals against each other in the final,

With Spain flourishing under the high intensity game, San Marino will need to alter their approach and find a way to stem the barrage of Spaniard attacks

I believe Spain will be tough, but we have a chance if we can cut their momentum. They are a fast team who focus on quick passes and beating their opposition for pace after creating space though the quickness they have in the middle of the park. We are a strong team and our midfield will play a key role, as secondary defenders. We expect a tight game and defense will likely win this game in the end.

There'Spain in defeat as Controversial penalty decides Champions

A close match with chances few and far between has ended with controversy this evening. A handball was called from a Zafferani corner, and had the Spaniards seeing more red than what was on their shirt as replays suggest it may have been a tough call and a bitter pill to swallow.

The call proved to be the turning point despite being only 30 minutes into the first half as both sides played a hard fought game that had no other scorers.

6ec98a67af43d3326dc25840f190a6ca.gif

San Marino Legend, Canini, has a habit of kicking the goods at important situations, and the scoring goalkeeper refused to turn down the opportunity once more as he lined up from the penalty spot...

35d93e390214499374ca77496f6c1838.gif

International goal number 40, and his 149th overall as San Marino went 1-0 and were able to close out the hald with some tough defending.

The manager would be pleased to know his tough and defensive approach also seemed to frustrate the Spaniards and paved the way for their back to back triumph, as the received 15 fouls for getting stuck in and challenging hard, whilst Spain only had 6, provedto be a good deterrent. 9 fouls less than the Sammarinese and you can see the attempt to stop the Spanish attack and defensive pilings causing urgency from La Roja, led to San Marino lifting their European trophy.

The controversy will be investigated, however the result cannot be changed, regardless of the outcome. Leon had this to say about the final result:

We played hard and we tackled hard. Our aim today was a change of pace. We wanted to be slower, and wanted to distract them from their game plan as much as possible. We weren't dirty, but fair and this showed with the fact we only picked up 2 cards. The flip side is that in stopping them, it also frustrated and that led to our opportunity to take the game by the sleeve.

Congratulations and well done to Spain for fighting us right to the end, but nothing beats this feeling! Well done to the lads for hanging in there despite the poor start, and A big thank you to those who contributed in us getting here for a second consecutive time. CHAMPIONS!!!

cCT2rni.jpg

This is San Marino's second European Championship, and though marred by controversy, will go down as one of their best rearguard displays and one of the best in all formats of the game this season. It is also Spain's first loss in the competition for some 12 years, having previously been knocked out on penalties, their record has technically stood as their 90 minute games had had no less than a draw. But they may as well of lost in a shootout again this time, as a penalty was once again, all the difference.

faRtvYo.jpg

I just realised that one year back in 2023, we played at a stadium other than Olimpico and had a crowd of 21,000.

Is there any way to change the national team stadium? We fill out the 5,200 Olimpico regularly but I have a new stadium being built and would hope I can move into it.

I am on FM14 and haven't found much in regards to this, however older threads seem to state that this cannot\does not happen?

Just started this challenge with the small database file in the first/second post, and this is by far the hardest challenge i've had on fm.

The goal is to get the team as quickly as possible to serie a + champions league football to improve the facilities and produce the best youngsters we can.

At a nacional level, trying to not get humiliated every game. For now i'm very happy to get 2 goals against Norway, in a 4-2 lose in the second official game with the team.

I'll post some updates every season

Guys, am I allowed to post about Andorra here? It's basically the same challenge, but with F.C. Andorra in Spain.

Not aware of any other threads this would apply to?

I guess this community has shrunk a little as of late and it's good to hear from others and their successes so I am not opposed to your participation given the similarities. I see they are in the 5th division of the Spanish tree, so good luck!

Also, how are your youth players that come through? Are they mainly Andorran or do you have a lot of Spanish also?

Edit:

I see you have added your first post, so welcome! :)

Well this season just got weird ok Italian manager Conte got Sacked after the Euro after that Juve's manager took the Italian job. So COnte went back to Juve and by 10 games into the season Juve are 18th & Conte and is gone (Juve have won Serie A 5 years in a row so god knows what he did to his club) :lol::lol::lol: .I am currently 2nd behind Napoli.

Trying this but going pretty horribly so far. Won our first game, didn't win another before the winter transfer window. But we're not in last, so hopefully a couple additions will keep us out of last and get us through the relegation playoffs.

I've decided to give this a go, after about 50 reloads at the the end of season one I gave up on San Marino appearing so holidayed another season and they appeared on about the 3rd reload. I have chosen to only manage the club at the moment and wait for the international job when the time is right.

So say hello to Jimmio Bowmannaggio

I expect a tough start as I have no other members of staff on the books so I need to get them in place before the squad building begins. Ideally I'll be looking at reaching Serie A in about 6 or 7 seasons but for now it looks like survival will be key.

Tough first gig. Seems like you were pretty close to finding the balance. You didn't lose by much, so it's a shame they didn't let you carry on. I find the best option is to set standards as low as possible, and focus signings on pace. Granted I am on FM14 and my start was about 2-3 years ago!

I just cant seem to get them available after the 1st season no matter how many times i reload so I'm in the process of holidaying through to the next season. I think in my 1st attempt I set myself out a little too defensive thats why goals were hard to come by, I'll take leonavich's advice and try and find some players with pace to help with the counter-attack.

Here we go attempt number 2

I have decided to use the same profile as last time but adjusted the Determination and Motivation higher at the cost of player knowlegde

Say Hello to Jimmio Bowmannaggio again.

I saved the game before I took over so if I fail again I can reload but maybe create another alter-ego instead. Obviously I hope to make it through the season unscathed.

2048-49

Hopefully I can get an update out over the next few days. I have not been playing too much as I was away on a work business trip, but I am now back and trying to finish off the season.

It has been tough with the financial issues last season finally hitting us at the start of this one. Whilst we look like we will be ok for next year, the small squad and lack of improvement in a few areas has seen as slip down to 4th after 29 games.

We may have just swung our form for the better though as we have overturned a 2-1 away leg to a 2-0 home win against Barcelona in the CL first round knockout match.

Well I managed to survive longer this time, and even bagged a coaching licence but unfortunately results didn't go my way and the board decided to sack me 4 days after a loss without prior warning. I'm annoyed as the team was starting to gel but the results went against me.

I'll reload the game pre-manager and choose a new profile to try again. I think I'm in a better position now as I've worked out what type of tactics have better impact.

Thanks sherwinriga I definately seem to be doing better now, I made it through the Serie C cup group and got a bye into the 2nd round where I just won 2-1 with a goal in the last minute of extra-time. I'm currently 17th in the league and about to play the 18th placed team

Also, how are your youth players that come through? Are they mainly Andorran or do you have a lot of Spanish also?

The youth prospects are only Andorran, not even DN. That's one of the biggest advantages if you compare it to San Marino :thup:

EURO2020:

6e1ad9bb80ded09dcb158c6be1371883.png

At first I didn't have high expectations, but when I saw our group I really knew it would be a disaster.

Well, my first try has failed. After barely holding on to 17th through the first half we played much better with a couple midseason acquisitions. Ended up in 16th and drew our first playoff game at home 0-0 despite dominating play. Unfortunately we fell behind early at home and spent the game chasing, eventually losing 1-3.

I think I learned some lessons that will help my next attempt. Screwed up registration in the first half and finding a striker with pace boosted our offense. Will definitely give this another shot soon.

I'm doing better this time as I've made it to my 1st Youth Intake.

I give all my youth in any games I play the same type of nickname and this is no different, the number represents the year they came in then they are graded from A-P based on potential A being the best. YP18B looks like he may be handy in a couple of years. I might start blooding him next season.

Well its over again, survived automatic relegation and won the 1st leg of the play-off 3-1, then took the lead in the 2nd leg before shipping 5 goals and ultimately relegated and sacked. May attempt to load up FM15 and try it on that version as San Marino are available from the start.

Archived