2nd Season Syndrome !

Hi All,

Now I'm not sure if this is just me but i tend to play as a big team and currently playing as Man Utd.

had a great 1st Season, Winning the FA Cup, Narrowly Missing out on the league and we won't mention the drumming i took from barca in the champions league:lol:

However i get to the second season and become the master of draws !

Same bunch of players with a minor tweak.

I always seem to get this in the 2nd season !? anyone else ?

If you stand still, other teams will over take you as they improve and you will be more predictable. You don't need to make big changes, but add in a creative youngster with bags of pace and look at the players that are struggling to play as well as last year and tweak the individual instructions. A striker with 30 goals last season will be marked tighter and shown on to his weak foot more often, can you adapt his role to shoot earlier before the challenge comes in or maybe run at the marker and beat him for pace?

If you could just win week in week out with out making big changes then the game would be far too east in my opinion.

Typically find that playing direct high tempo football normally gets caught out around January when you are top of the league (hopefully)! It's only natural that would happen if you are flying I guess... they'll drop deep, defend for their lives and then get me with that one counter attacking CCC.

Instead I'll try to drop deep use a "Defend" mentality and invite the opposition onto us (along with play wider, more expressive, roam from position, retain possession, play into space) this will typically work well against a defensive team or vs ten men. Adding in runners from deep/attack roles in midfield and support up front will mean they look for better chances to score. It sometimes takes a while to get that breakthrough goal, but once it comes the game opens out a lot more.

Moving into new seasons I really find introducing too many new players affects results and would look at their confidence level and if all else fails give them the hairdryer...!

Currently happening with me after crashing and burning in the League 1 Play Offs with Coventry City.

Kept with the same tactic shape and roles but just adjusted the style of play to"Retain Possession" and play at a slower tempo, now had two wins on the bounce and things look a bit more positive, obviously the computer found out how to counter my last set of tactics...serves me right for being lazy.

Archived