Poor defense...

Hey guys,

I been playing this game since CM03\04 and I never had problems like these...

I am playing Manchester United and my defense is totally useless! Even against teams like Watford I can only win if I score more then the opposition, since my midfield and attack are superb. So usually my games end in 4-3 or such.

My GK(De Gea) is doing nothing at all, he saves like 1 out of 10 shots on target, and my defenders are not tackling at all and just letting the opposition players to walk the ball in.

I think I tried every thing possible...

my DEF goes like this:

GK - De Gea

Full Back Attack - Shaw

Ball Playing Defender Stopper - Rojo

Central Defender Defend - Smalling

Full Back Attack - Dermian

DM Deep Lying Playmaker - Schweinsteiger\Carrick

This is not the best defense in Europe but they are a decent enough IMO, so what am I doing wrong?

Thank you guys!

We'd need to know more. What Duties do the DLPs have? What is the rest of the team? Defending doesn't start from the MC line. What is your Mentality? Team Instructions?

Two attacking full backs is immediately a risk, and your scorelines suggest that the rest of the system is overly aggressive too.

The DPL is on support duty.

I got one MC(Box To Box), AML, AMR(Both Wingers) And two strickers.

My mentality is Control, my tempo is normal, My defense line is slightly deeper. Other instructions: Retain possession and Get stuck in.

Thanks.

I just played a game against Swansea and my defense actually played well for the firs time since I started! The GK made a crucial mistake and I got a goal because of it but apart from that they played perfectly. Maybe its because Phil Jones is back form the Injury and Rojo was the evil ******* that killed my defense? lol Thats the only change I made in the defense.

So have a think about how the system looks as a whole and what the gaps are. It's a pretty flawed setup for someone who has played for 20+ years, it certainly wouldn't have worked in recent versions.

1. Two attacking full backs

2. No holding player (DM S is not a Holding player)

3. Overly mobile MC player in front (BBM) - I assume you have them offset rather than one straight in front of the other?

4. No coverage in wide midfield to balance the aggressive full backs

5. No coverage at all out wide in fact - Wingers on Attack at AML/R will not track back effectively enough

6. You haven't said what the strikers are

Your defence is stuffed because the rest of the system is just full of holes and it forces them to step out of the defensive line and shift about.

So have a think about how the system looks as a whole and what the gaps are. It's a pretty flawed setup for someone who has played for 20+ years, it certainly wouldn't have worked in recent versions.

1. Two attacking full backs

2. No holding player (DM S is not a Holding player)

3. Overly mobile MC player in front (BBM) - I assume you have them offset rather than one straight in front of the other?

4. No coverage in wide midfield to balance the aggressive full backs

5. No coverage at all out wide in fact - Wingers on Attack at AML/R will not track back effectively enough

6. You haven't said what the strikers are

Your defence is stuffed because the rest of the system is just full of holes and it forces them to step out of the defensive line and shift about.

I am not a big math genius but I think its 12 years...20+ years ago I was like 6 years old lol.

Anyway defense strategy was always my weak spot.

In the last few years I tried a tactic without wingers in the midfield and instead I used my full backs as Complete wing backs next to the DM, with 2 MCs, AMC and two strikers and it was unstoppable, but I got bored of it and needed a change.

I am thinking maybe I should change it to one striker, AMC, AML, AMR, MC and DMC to close the gaps a little bit, but there is still alot of space in the wings between the wingers and the FBs

Of course your defense is bad. You're basically playing a 4-2-4 with an aggressive 2 in MC and attacking full backs. So at times you're 2 central defenders are having to cover 2 thirds of the pitch. I bet most of the goals you concede are on counter attacks?

Occasionally yeah, but most of the time they struggle with regular slow tempo attacks.

Archived