united diamond creation (hopefully)

this is my second attempt at understanding the game. i have just finished my first season winning the league and ECC using a downloaded tactic. This time i want to use my own!

in my first season i was a bit leaky at the back so i want this to be the first thing i improve. i believe the diamond shape will help me achieve this. not too bothered about scoring many goals i will happily take a 1-0 if it means my understanding of the game improves. i will be using cleons and rtherringbones advice of watching the games in full and making small changes as needed.

this is the base tactic. roles could change duties will probably change.

41SL0CN.png

8ZQ6pzr.png

im hoping the team instructions make sense for what i want to achieve which is tight compact in defence with a slow patient build up. feel free to correct me at time.

as far as watching the game. thats the bit i struggle with the most so if my follow posrts make no sense or are completely wrong please tell me. how else will i learn??

first friendly against bacup. lowly team so hopefully win and increase moral regardless of how tactic plays out. i have also bought ryan shawcross to play in the half back role. not sure how good he will be but his stats seemed good for what i want him to do. he also has tries long range passes ppm which can only be a good thing?

fG1mqe3.jpg

2minutes in to the game and i see this (or my interpretation)

martial has come deep to get the ball and is looking to play a pass to gribbin (AMC) but look how far away wilson is (DLF) surely that gap between the two forwards is too big? gribbin seem to have a few passing options in the two passing options or he could attempt the long pass to wilson? lets see what happens

he plays the simple pass to the oncoming schwienstiger who then play the long pass to wilson. nothing comes of this attack. i shall keep going

I am definitely not tactical expert or wizard. But I'm working with a similar shape. The intent with mine is to counterattacking, with the compact and dense midfield making it hard to break down, then launching counters when the ball is won. The downside to using a narrow diamond is always going to be wide attacks, but its just the nature of the shape.

A few observations...

-the overall idea seems sound. I don't know if I would go quite that short with the passing, as that might limit forward passes to create chances.

-you want to play out of defense, but what options do you have when you give the ball to a defender? The wingbacks but who are they playing it to? Your central defenders aren't outlets, and neither are the HB or the BWM. They have to get it up to the AP to have someone who is really trying to get the ball forward, and I could see that being problematic. You may end up cycling short passes between your defenders and DM without any real penetrative intent.

-I don't really like the midfield combo you have. Your halfback is going to drop back, essentially becoming a third central defender, which isn't a bad thing. But your Ball Winning Mid will charge off, chasing the ball further up the pitch, and your AP is focused on attack so he's not back helping out much and you AM won't likely track back that far all the time. That is giving your opposition a lot of space in front of the defense and you aren't closing them down. Even if you have nothing but world class players across the back and in the halfback position, you are going to get passes though sometimes, especially as you can get overrun wide. The halfback can work, but I would look to switch up one or two of the CM roles. You want runners who will move forward and support the attacks.

-take a look at the heat map to see how your players are moving. Do you have the midfield compactness you want or are there big spaces? Is your BWM way off to side and your halfback dropping deep, leaving that gap I mentioned?

4 mins in and i get this.

5JFiVW1.jpg

they attack down the right hand side. you can clearly see my BWM closing him down leaving him few options. the easiest option for him is to pass it behind him but he is also being tracked by the AMC who has dropped back to help the defence. he has two riskier options slighty to the front but due to the positioning of my back four with the HB sat just in front im not worried about things. shall see what happens.

he did play a threw ball down the flank but due to him being closed down he had little option other than a hurried pass which was then intercepted by the defender.

YwUZDOf.jpg

here you can see blind (WB) intercept an attempted long ball. as you can see he has numerous passing options. all three midfielders are available. martial is even available for the risky pass should he wish. at the top of the screen you see wilson with plenty of space to run into should blind play the forward thru ball to him. in a prefect world that is the pass i wish to see.

what worries me from this image is even though i have players availble for the pass albeit 2 risky passes to the front two the others dont seem to be in very threatening positions. should this be something to be worried about or shall i dismiss for now considering im only 6mins in to game one.

well he passed it to the midfielder stood in the centre circle slightly nearest the ref leaving me with this scenario

BRk3tJT.jpg

as you can see he plays the ball forward into the space for martial to run onto however he runs back toward the midfield?? how bizarre.

i now have this

jzEDMGU.jpg

look how deep they are defending. how do i break this down? to create the space for the forwards? do i change a player role or do i change a team instruction. there is no penetration and have watched for the last couple of minutes the wing backs just pass to each other.

I am definitely not tactical expert or wizard. But I'm working with a similar shape. The intent with mine is to counterattacking, with the compact and dense midfield making it hard to break down, then launching counters when the ball is won. The downside to using a narrow diamond is always going to be wide attacks, but its just the nature of the shape.

A few observations...

-the overall idea seems sound. I don't know if I would go quite that short with the passing, as that might limit forward passes to create chances.

-you want to play out of defense, but what options do you have when you give the ball to a defender? The wingbacks but who are they playing it to? Your central defenders aren't outlets, and neither are the HB or the BWM. They have to get it up to the AP to have someone who is really trying to get the ball forward, and I could see that being problematic. You may end up cycling short passes between your defenders and DM without any real penetrative intent.

-I don't really like the midfield combo you have. Your halfback is going to drop back, essentially becoming a third central defender, which isn't a bad thing. But your Ball Winning Mid will charge off, chasing the ball further up the pitch, and your AP is focused on attack so he's not back helping out much and you AM won't likely track back that far all the time. That is giving your opposition a lot of space in front of the defense and you aren't closing them down. Even if you have nothing but world class players across the back and in the halfback position, you are going to get passes though sometimes, especially as you can get overrun wide. The halfback can work, but I would look to switch up one or two of the CM roles. You want runners who will move forward and support the attacks.

-take a look at the heat map to see how your players are moving. Do you have the midfield compactness you want or are there big spaces? Is your BWM way off to side and your halfback dropping deep, leaving that gap I mentioned?

sorry i was getting too carried away with posting that i didnt notice your response. which is appreciated. i think i can see what you have just mentioned playing out in front of me. absolutely no penetration to the forwards. i will let this game play out and keep an eye out for further examples. but from the first 20mins of this game i believe a change in passing length is needed. as for the gaps between the midfield, i havent really noticed any as yet but i will keep an eye on it

sorry i was getting too carried away with posting that i didnt notice your response. which is appreciated. i think i can see what you have just mentioned playing out in front of me. absolutely no penetration to the forwards. i will let this game play out and keep an eye out for further examples. but from the first 20mins of this game i believe a change in passing length is needed. as for the gaps between the midfield, i havent really noticed any as yet but i will keep an eye on it

The midfield roles may not be an issue, but its one thing that jumped out at me. Bear in mind that one match will only tell you so much, because as the opposition, their tactics, and the players you are using in a given match change, the way a tactic is working will also change. Something that works exactly how you intend may not in the next match. Which is why you end up needing to watch and tinker.

In addition to adjusting the passing length, you might see some difference if you remove Play out of Defense.

The midfield roles may not be an issue, but its one thing that jumped out at me. Bear in mind that one match will only tell you so much, because as the opposition, their tactics, and the players you are using in a given match change, the way a tactic is working will also change. Something that works exactly how you intend may not in the next match. Which is why you end up needing to watch and tinker.

In addition to adjusting the passing length, you might see some difference if you remove Play out of Defense.

i have ticked the pass in to space option to hopefully get that pass at the correct moment. still playing friendlies shall keep watching but i will probably not post until the season has started.

i have ticked the pass in to space option to hopefully get that pass at the correct moment. still playing friendlies shall keep watching but i will probably not post until the season has started.

Please keep updating as you play through matches. Even just what you've observed in matches and what you've adjusted to try to solve an issue. Threads like this can be great reads and really helpful as others try to create and tweak their tactics.

i have slightly altered the tactic. i swapped the the 2 central mids around and changed one of them to a roaming playmaker plus a minor tweak to the TIs. its playing some really good football but i know its only the friendlies so im not getting too excited.

Base on my opnion:

Shorter passing and Retain possession together not only reduce passing length, it will reduce tempo quite a lot.

+ Play out of defend further reduce your defender passing length once again.

As you can see your team playing at shortest passing, almost lowest tempo, and very narrow.

what happen if you facing opponent pressing your team aggresively ?

Problem may arise when you play competitive game especially at away game, where your opponent put pressure to your defender always, and leave them no choice but simply clear the ball away.

Archived